Graduating seniors from Durant Community Schools are eligible to apply for the Dale Darnell Class of 1984 Scholarship. The scholarship may be used to pay for tuition, fees, books and room and board at an accredited higher education institution. A $500 scholarship will be awarded to one male or one female each year. The scholarship criteria are:
• Participation in at least one extracurricular activity at Durant High School for each year of high school. It is not required that all four years of participation be in the same extracurricular activity.
• Participation in community service
• Have worked a part-time or summer job during high school
• At least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 weighted grade pointed average.
• Provide a copy of your high school transcripts
Scholarship applications must be returned to the Durant Community Schools Education Foundation: Kenneth Huesmann, President DCSEF, 2824 220 ST. STOCKTON, IA 52769 no later than April 22.
Name: Summer Slininger Date of birth: 03/02/1998
Address: 205 Lake Drive, Durant, IA 52747 Phone number: (563) 508-9131
Name of parent or guardian: Steve and Cindy Slininger
Parent’s address (if different): N/A
High school GPA: 3.9
1. List all your high school classes and your instructors Junior and Senior year.
Junior Year Senior Year
Lifestyle P.E. – Mr. Willie Weights – Mr. Strub
Chamber Choir – Mr. Lee Chamber Choir – Mr. Lee
Adventure Literature – Mrs. Mueller Advanced Math – Mr. Kramer
Math 3 – Ms. Helling Physics – Ms. Given
Chemistry – Ms. Given Government – Mr. Straube
Spanish 4 – Mr....
... middle of paper ...
...t demonstrate my leadership and quality characteristics. Thank you for making it possible for students to follow their dreams.
Dale was a lively, outgoing, friendly, caring, funny and hardworking young man. He loved playing the saxophone, was active in wrestling and football. Dale worked at his parent’s grocery store in Davenport and had to be at work at 4 AM twice a week during the school year to unload the truck. Dale loved to have fun and was an excellent team player.
Dale passed away while attending the State Wrestling Tournament in Des Moines his freshman year. Dale and another student Cheryl Martz were both killed in a hotel fire. This was a devastating time for the entire Durant School District, the Community and especially Dale’s family, friends and classmates. The Durant High School Class of 1984 is providing this scholarship in memory of Dale.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 1978, James Dale joined Boy Scout Troop 73 of Matawan, New Jersey at the age of eight. After ten years and a journey through the various levels of Scouting, Dale was awarded the Eagle Scout Badge, a high honor achieved by only a minute fraction of Scouts. Soon after being awarded the Eagle Scout Badge, Dale was offered adult membership in the Boy Scouts. In addition, he was invited to become assistant scoutmaster of Troop 73. After graduating high school, Dale went on to study at Rutgers University.... [tags: social issues, james dale]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Through out the course of history there have been several events that have been a pivotal point which has molded the behaviors and thoughts of this century. A lot of notable activist and authors wrote stories and speeches about how they believed that this day and time would be like. A lot of these views were very accurate surprisingly. In the novel 1984 author George Orwell gives his vision on how he believed that the countries would be like if they kept going the way they were.This report will give you a brief rundown of the characters, theories and principles of this novel along with some of my personal insight of the novel.... [tags: 1984]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Dale Earnhardt and Stock Car Racing Over 50 years ago a new sport was introduced. This sport was stock car racing. The organization that sponsors stock car racing is known as National Association of Stock Car Racing, NASCAR. The driver that is identifiable with NASCAR is definitely Dale Earnhardt. Over the years there have been many great stock car racers from Cale Yarborough to Richard Petty and Davy Allison, but no other name was better known than Dale Earnhardt. Whether on the track or in the crowds, there is no possible way a person can look without seeing a black number three or some other Earnhardt insignia.... [tags: Stock Car Racing Dale Earnhardt Essays]
1413 words (4 pages)
- ABSTRACT Anyone who considers themselves a lover of good fiction must know who George Orwell is. Anyone who loves good cynical fiction has to have read his master piece, simply titled 1984. 1984 is a phenomenal tale of government gone awry, in its attempts to unify what’s left of the world, after the atomic wars waged in Europe. The story is based on Mr. Orwell’s fears of immensely powerful governments, especially totalitarianism. If you are a true lover and you have read the story, The next logical question one must ask themselves is, do we understand why he wrote this wonderful piece of work.... [tags: 1984, george orwell]
2692 words (7.7 pages)
- Working on My Scholarship Essay That fateful night I stayed up too late working on a scholarship essay. Worked up into a frenzy with all this paperwork, I faded in and out of the work I was doing. I stopped for a few minutes to rest my eyes and upon opening them I gazed into a face crowned by a laurel-leaf and wore philosophers robes. "What doest thou?" he asked in a thick Italian voice. I could not believe it. Who was this man who entered my room unannounced and demanded from me what I do.... [tags: Scholarship Essays]
377 words (1.1 pages)
- Soccer Scholarship Essay 1 Let me introduce myself. My name is Heather Smith; I'm 18 years old and am a senior at Suttons Bay High School. I was born and raised here and have attended Suttons Bay Schools for 13 years. My hobbies include playing socer, spending time with ym friends, music, art, snowboarding, biking, working out and traveling. Six years ago I startedmy love of travel when I had the opportunity to travel on a 16-day European History trip to the countries of England, France, Italy, Switzerland and germany with family and friends.... [tags: Scholarship Essays]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- Political corruption and dissatisfaction affected many people in the early twentieth century; especially the prolific writer George Orwell. George Orwell’s works 1984, Animal Farm, and Burmese Days, through their ubiquitous uses of stunning imagery, extreme totalitarianism, and raw diction, warn of the dangers of ambitious figures, corrupt governmental control, and the recurrence of vicious tyrannies while reflecting impressionable events in his life. Born on June 25, 1903 to parents Richard Walmesley Blair and Ida Mabel, “George Orwell” was born Eric Arthur Blair in Motihari, Bengal, India (Merriman, “George Orwell”).... [tags: 1984, Animal Farm, Burmese Days]
2457 words (7 pages)
- Soccer Scholarship Essay 2 My full name is Elizabeth Mason Godwin but I go by Libby. I have grown up living with my parents Barry and Nancy Godwin in Traverse City. I went to Willow Hill Elementary School where my love for sports started. I started playing soccer in fifth grade when my friend Carrie invited me to one of her practices to see what it was like. They let me play with the team that day and I fell in love. I immediately signed up and joined the YMCA team. I continued to play for the YMCA until I was in the seventh grade and moved up to TBAYS.... [tags: Scholarship Essays]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- The idea of the future has been explored for as long as writers have been writing. The interesting concept about the future is that it will always remain a mystery. The future is always changing and never ending. In George Orwell’s 1984, Orwell ruminates on his thoughts and ideas of what the future will be like. Orwell wrote the book around 1950 during the writing era of postmodernism. Postmodernist books often expressed thoughts of the future, as well as other themes. 1984 describes the future as a place where the Party has taken over and controls everything and everyone.... [tags: George Orwell, 1984 Essays]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- 1984 is a powerful work of George Orwell, but one of the key components to the book is the dream of Winston and how that dream relates to the book overall. Winston dreams of the deaths of his mother and sister. They were sinking in water, sacrificing their lives in some tragic, loving way to keep Winston alive. The dream then changes to the "Golden Country," an idyllic setting. A girl runs towards him, carelessly tearing off her clothes in defiance of the Party. Winston wakens with "Shakespeare" upon his lips.... [tags: Orwell 1984]
1036 words (3 pages)