Cystic Hygroma can also be caused by Down syndrome. Down syndrome occurs when a chromosome have a partial or full extra copy of chromosome 21. This extra genetic material alters the development and causes characteristics of Down syndrome. Some common traits are low muscle tone, small structure, an upward slant to the eyes, and a single deep crease across the center of the palm. Although each person can have a unique quality and may posses these characteristics differently or not at all. “One in every 691 babies in the United States is born with Down syndrome, making Down syndrome the most common genetic ...
... middle of paper ...
... National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
"Cystic Hygroma Clinical Presentation." Cystic Hygroma Clinical Presentation. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
"Emory University Department of Human Genetics." Emory University Department of Human Genetics. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
"Lymphatic Malformations." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
Mirza, Bilal, Lubna Ijaz, Muhammad Saleem, Muhammad Sharif, and Afzal Sheikh. "Abstract." National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 01 Mar. 0006. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
"Noonan Syndrome." - Genetics Home Reference. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.
"The Permanente Medical Group." The Permanente Medical Group. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Mar. 2014.
"Turner Syndrome: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia." U.S National Library of Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 24 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Lymphatic malformations are rare masses consisting of fluid-filled spaces that are caused by abnormal development of the lymphatic system. This malformations are usually found by birth or by the age of 2-years-old. These malformations can affect any part of the body except for the brain. The most common area is that head or neck. When they are found in a fetus, at birth the masses are usually spongy, soft, and non-tender masses. Some malformations can be massive but regardless of size they can be potentially causes danger to near by structures or organisms and disfigurement of the area affected by the mass.... [tags: organisms, disease, malformations]
576 words (1.6 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis Polly Grove 13/06/17 Genetics and Inheritance: Cystic Fibrosis occurs when there is a mutation in the CTFR gene, which is the Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator. This gene performs as a passage over cells that produce mucus, sweat, saliva, tears, and digestive enzymes. The movement of these, get supported by chloride ions, they help the liquids to move between the tissues. Mucus is essential because of its purpose of protecting the lining of organs, issues, and airways.... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Allele, Digestion]
941 words (2.7 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease that affects many people today. It takes over a person’s whole life to survive this disease. To survive, people who suffer with Cystic Fibrosis need constant care of this disease. Cystic fibrosis is disorder that is inherited and causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system. Cystic fibrosis changes the cells that make mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These fluids that are secreted are normally thin and slippery. A defective gene causes the secretions to become thick and sticky.... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Genetics, Digestion, Pneumonia]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- The effects of cystic fibrosis can be broken down to a micro-perspective investigation in both the genotype, the encoding of the DNA, and the phenotype, the expression of DNA to trait. A precursor to the expression of cystic fibrosis, is through the inheritability pattern of cystic fibrosis from both parents. Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disease, meaning in the DNA of each parent, each had one copy of these recessive trait which is not expressed through them. However, with both parents being carriers, the offspring has a 25% chance of inheriting cystic fibrosis, a 25% chance of inheriting non-mutated genes and a 50% chance of being a carrier of the cystic fibrosis gene (Mayer-Ha... [tags: Mutation, DNA, Gene, Cystic fibrosis]
992 words (2.8 pages)
- Your child is under weight, has greasy, smelly diarrhea, a chronic cough and seems to always be getting pneumonia. He wheezes when he breathes and has impaired exercise ability. He seems to never being growing to the average size of his peers and his skin is very salty (5). The doctor’s first instinct should be to test your child for a disease called cystic fibrosis. Cystic fibrosis is a disease, which causes the mucus in your body to be thicker in some areas. The most affected areas are the lungs and digestive system.... [tags: Digestion, Cystic fibrosis, Pancreas, Cell]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis Introduction Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an inherited chronic disease that must be carried by both parents in order to for the person to suffer from it. When two parents who are carriers have a child there is a 25 percent chance of having a child with CF and when one parents has CF and one parent is a carrier, there is a 50 percent chance of having a child with CF This disease affects organs such as the liver, lungs, pancreas, and intestines. This disease disrupts the body’s salt balance leaving too little salt and water on the outside of cells which makes the thin mucus that protects the linings of the airways, digestive system, reproductive system, and other organs and tissues... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Pulmonology, Asthma]
1312 words (3.7 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis is a medical condition in which a thick and sticky mucus progressively covers organs, causing them to malfunction. This disease is commonly known for affecting the lungs and bronchi, however there are many more risks the disease brings to organs. Not only does Cystic Fibrosis bring risk to organs, it runs risks to all people. Everyone carries two CFTR genes, however the genetic disease only occurs hereditarily in offspring of two carriers holding damaged CFTR genes. Cystic fibrosis brings a fragile lifestyle to its carriers, and to the tissue and organs of carriers.... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Digestion, Mucus, Genetics]
766 words (2.2 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis is a chronic non-gender biased illness which affects the digestive system and the lungs. This condition also results in the buildup of mucus, which clogs in the respiratory system as well as the pancreas. Cystic Fibrosis occurs because a defective gene causes the body to excrete excessive sticky and thick mucus that clogs the lungs leading to a life-limiting lung infections. When these thick secretions obstruct the pancreas, they prevent the digestive enzymes from reaching the intestines to aid in breaking down as well as absorbing food.... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Digestion, Lung, Pneumonia]
1354 words (3.9 pages)
- Cystic Fibrosis is a condition associated with a defective gene that causes a buildup of mucus in the lungs, pancreas, and several other organs. The accumulated mucus is thick, and causes clogging of the airways. These closed airways then allow bacteria to infiltrate the lungs, which causes extensive infection, damage, and respiratory failure ("About Cystic Fibrosis | CF Foundation," n.d.). Aside from the respiratory problems, Cystic Fibrosis also causes issues in other areas of the body. In the pancreas, the buildup of mucus prevents the secretion of enzymes that assist in the chemical break down of food, blocking an individuals ability to obtain important nutrients ("About Cystic Fibrosis... [tags: Cystic fibrosis, Mutation, DNA, DNA repair]
1625 words (4.6 pages)
- Overcoming Proteasomes: One Step Closer to a Cure for Cystic Fibrosis Take a deep breath and consider how easy it was to do so. Now picture struggling and gasping for air everyday; normal, easy tasks to the average person prove to be quite challenging to a patient of cystic fibrosis. Scientists have always been daunted by this fatal genetic disease that affects the body by excreting a “thick mucus” in the lungs, making breathing difficult and blocking the “ducts” leading from the pancreas, causing “poor digestion of food” (1).... [tags: Proteasomes Cystic Fibrosis]
1399 words (4 pages)