The Defense Department made an admission of the first major cyber attack upon its systems in August 2010. It was revealed that the attack actually took place in 2008 and was accomplished byplacing a malicious code into the flash drive of a U.S. military laptop. “The code spread undetected on both classified and unclassified systems, establishing what amounted to a digital breachhead.” (2) This quote , attributed to then Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III , is just part of the shocking revelations that were disclosed in his speech made on July 14, 2011. Lynn said that...
... middle of paper ...
...ather than a proactive one. According CNET News dated December 21, 2011, it is possible that this invasion, “ could have gained access to all information the Chamber has on its 3 million members .” (19) The only counter measures taken so far and that have been revealed is that the 300 Internet addresses were shut down in May 2010. The very recent public notification of this cyber-attack will continue to unfold and what new implemented strategies to prevent a reoccurance remains to be seen.
As a patriot of this great nation, what has been presented is of extreme if not grave concern. The challenges of cyberculture to our nation’s security have been revealed . To what extent our security has been breached is a matter of speculation but be informed that these breaches must be met with complete counter active success - failure to do so is not an option.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Not until, recently, the “boundary” between government workplace and the internet were “trusted”, while anything outside of it was “untrusted”. State and federal government agencies are at an increased risk of cyber security attacks. Dozens of federal agencies experienced system breaches in the last few years, affecting millions of employees. With the rise of cybersecurity threats, malware is the number one threat to government systems and national security. Yet, the public sector continues to struggle with outdated information technology infrastructure and lax policies.... [tags: Security, Computer security, National security]
1165 words (3.3 pages)
- Additionally, cybersecurity is a continuous difficulty for any organizations particularly military and government organizations encountering attacks increment consistently. The cybersecurity business segment is tirelessly creating as society relies on the change and utilization of information advancement frameworks. The significant of millions of individual personal and sensitive information is profoundly disturbing and could have been prevented. The hackers were able to obtain individual’s place of residence addresses, social security numbers of 4.2 million present and former federal and contractor employees.... [tags: Security, Information security, Computer security]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- The Department of Homeland Security is a cabinet department of the executive branch in the U.S. government. Its job is to maintain the security of all Americans and prevent any group of people (i.e. terrorist) from provoking or committing dangerous acts that have the potential to harm American citizens or America’s way of life. This is the reason why this department was created, as a retaliation to 9/11, yet even when it is clear and obvious as to why the department was created, they still say that they need to be broader than that.... [tags: cybersecurity, government]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- The Homeland Security Act of 2002 impacted the American people without many of them realizing it. The act called for increased monitoring of computer networks, phone lines, and online history inside the United States and allowed the government to deport suspects (ACLU). What was created by the act has snaked its way into all aspects of our lives, creating a sense of order and restricting some freedom. However, some say that this imposition into our daily lives limits our freedoms and actions allowed us by the Constitution.... [tags: National Security]
825 words (2.4 pages)
- Information systems now connect worldwide, so raising security concerns and increased vulnerabilities within organizations and government agencies. Asllani, White, & Ettkin notes “the impact of cybersecurity vulnerabilities that aren’t addressed in advance has significant operational consequences.” (Asllani, White, & Ettkin, 2012). Although cybersecurity is critical, only 25% carry out security measures as part of their standard operational processes. (Asllani, White, & Ettkin, 2012). Financial systems and critical infrastructure alike, should they fall prey to nefarious activities, can have devastating impact to the organization and persons it affected.... [tags: Security, National security, Risk]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- ... This shall be compliant with Executive Order 13636, Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity • Legislation shall be obligated to ensure that federal, state, and local governments IT infrastructures are funded accordingly and that such initiatives shall be prioritized for its critical importance. • Senators shall be authorized to initiate “Cybersecurity” policy creation within his or her jurisdiction based upon the federal framework on IT infrastructures and networking security. Additionally, it shall be the responsibility of the Senators to obtain and allocate adequate funding for their states law enforcement technology investigation process.... [tags: internet crime, networking operations]
1994 words (5.7 pages)
- Title Page Contents Introduction Obama Administration’s Policy Views on Cybersecurity 1.1. Enhancing Resilience 1.2. Reducing Threats Obama and Bush Administrations 1.3. Bush Administration 1.4. Policy Similarities 1.5. Policy Differences Recommendations for Improvements 1.6 Cyber Czar Position 1.7 International Organization and joint punishment Works Cited Introduction The following document will provide information pertaining to presidential administrations both past and present and their respective views on cybersecurity policies.... [tags: Enhancing Resiliance, Reducing Threats]
1322 words (3.8 pages)
- systems to be shared for information security. Compliances and Regulations Private sector businesses are required to follow a new policy which enforces private establishments to report any national information breaches to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) within 60 days. This policy should prevent and address any security lapses to actuality inform clients of any breaches of their personal information. The FTC would be in charge of authorizing punishments against violators. Under certain regulations, businesses could face costly liability penalties up to $10,000 dollars.... [tags: Security, Information security, Computer security]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Country Threat Landscape Cyber Attack Statistics Cyberattacks against India continue to rise year after year. Many business do not have the resources or don’t know what to do against skilled cybercriminals. In the past, developed nations were the prime targets for cyberattacks. Indian organizations have seen the number of attacks increase and are now almost on part with the rest of the world. The number of security incidents that have been handled by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) over the last few years has increased exponentially.... [tags: Computer security, Security, Information security]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Critical Infrastructure Protection Explained The outflow "critical infrastructure" implies belonging of physical and PC based frameworks that are central to the base operations of an economy and its government. They consolidate, however are not compelled to, telecommunications, power, sparing cash and record, transportation, water frameworks and emergency organizations, both government and private. Notwithstanding the way that various nation's critical infrastructures have undeniable been physically and reasonably isolated as frameworks that had little acquaintanceship, in any occasion, until 9/11, improvements in information building with consultations performed to upgrade proficiency in... [tags: Spearphishing, Cybersecurity]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- The importance of professional associations
- Should parents assume equal responsibilities when raising a child?
- The Future is On-Demand Entertainment
- Miguel Cervantes
- Transformational Leadership in Healthcare
- Comparative Essay: World Literature I: Analysis of the Setting Relating to the Isolation of the Protagonists