Cybercrime and social media are global problems which are impacting society. Today, people have more access to computers and internet than before, therefore, attacking social medias with criminal activities is a modern way for criminals. There are different strategies or practices by different countries to combat with cybercrime. However, identity theft, cyberbullying and phishing are three type of cybercrimes which are impacting social networking websites in many different ways.
There are many factors that performidentity theft in social medias. One of the most important is the lack of user knowledge about the social media or website they are using. Social medias such as Facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, among others have many insecurities data for their user. According to Javelin Strategy and research report (2012), there are different forms to be victim of fraud but “social media and mobile behaviors made users more vulnerable to fraud. Users of social networking services, such as Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and twitter, had the highest incidence of fraud. Consumers who actively engage with social media utilize a smartphone were found to have a disproportionate rate of identity fraud than consumers who do not engage in these mediums”, (p.1).Consumers tend to check in, publish favorite restaurants, favorite places, all their favorite kind of things unknowing that this give perpetrator more than a hint to steal their personal data. For example, in Facebook many users online publish their date of birth, high school attended, college information and the name of their pet which most of the time are the common names for their security question, presents Javelin Strategy.
Phishing is a cybercrime which is seen more often in social media...
... middle of paper ...
...ul to see how everyday in the news Many kids are killing themselves just because they are being victim of cyberbullying.
Technology and social medias had empowered our society to see more crime through out the internet elevating an easy way for criminals to commit their offenses such as Identity theft, phishing and cyberbullying. It is important to know that anyone could experience a way of being victim of any of these cybercrimes in social media. The point of no having so much knowledge about social media make a user an ease target of cybercrimes and fraudsters more alert of committing any of these crime. People tend to publish many personal data or let their kids use social networking sites as if this were trustful websites. The global community must learn that there are several steps that prevents people of being a victim of these cybercrimes in social media.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cybercrime and social media are two major global problems that impact society. Today, are more accessible to computers and the Internet than in years prior. Nonetheless, perpetrators attack social media with illegal activity to facilitate their crime. There are different strategies or practices by various countries to combat cybercrime. However, identity theft, cyberbullying and phishing are three major type of cybercrimes which are impacting social networking websites. Many factors play right into the advantage of identity theft through social media.... [tags: Social network service, MySpace, Identity theft]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- “Focus on how to be social, not on how to do social.”-Joy Baer Social Media as described by google are websites and applications used for social networking. Many adolescents use Facebook, Myspace, and Instagram, twitter etc. as a form of communication without being explained the many risk factors. Over time more and more proposed threats with teens using social networks has arisen. Social media negatively impacts teens by exposing them to higher risk activities such as cyberbullying, sexting and a lack of privacy.... [tags: Google, Websites, Applications, Social Networking]
1161 words (3.3 pages)
- Social Media Social media can be defined as the use of online networks to convey ideas, send messages, and create and share content in order to participate in the new age of social networking. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are three of the better well known and most commonly used social networking sites that allow us to stay interconnected with the world and everyone around us by different means. However social media is impacting our lives in a tragic way that I find will soon cause chaos around the world.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Web 2.0, Mobile phone]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- The Internet is a connection of computers across the world through a network. Its origin dates back to the 1960s when the U.S Military used it for research, but it became more available to the public from the late 1980s. The World Wide Web was created in 1989 and browsers began appearing in the early 1990s. Over the last 24 years, the Internet has enabled people to shop, play, do research, communicate and conduct business online. It has also become cheaper and faster in performing different tasks.... [tags: IT, hackers, illicit activities]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Bullying is a global phenomenon impacting today’s society in so many ways. Not only does bullying or harassment happen in someone’s own town but in the whole United States, in other countries, and the whole world. Bullying happens most among teenagers and children as young as the age of five. With social media and technology being an important part of teens’ lives, it can be used as a weapon to the cause of cyber bullying. In other countries where technology is not commonly used, verbal and physical bullying will be the two biggest types of bullying methods used.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Psychological abuse, Harassment]
2061 words (5.9 pages)
- By virtue of the expanding popularity of the social networking sites, such as FacebookTM, TwitterTM and MySpaceTM, Internet users contentedly disseminate their personal information whilst overlooking the threat of privacy disclosure. According to statistics presented by FacebookTM (2013), there are about 699 million daily active users as of June 2013, indicating about one tenth of the world population are using FacebookTM actively. Nevertheless, it is widely recognised that this expeditious growth of popularity of social networking would contribute to various privacy issues.... [tags: Cybercrime, Facebook, Social Medias]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- When it comes to multiculturalism the first country that we tend to associate with this term is Canada. As the first country in the world to adopt multiculturalism as an official policy, Canada “affirmed the value and dignity of all Canadian citizens regardless of their racial or ethnic origins, their language, or their religious affiliation” (Citizen and Immigration Canada 2012) . Canada has spoken of multiculturalism countless times to the point of reinforcing its values and beliefs regarding multiculturalism as well as having experience with managing its population and problems.... [tags: Culture, Multiculturalism, Canada, Sociology]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Our society and government give us different rights and privileges we get to enjoy every day. Some of these rights are well understood by all, such as the inalienable rights mentioned in the Constitution of The United States. These rights are given to all men and women by our creator, and they include the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Today these rights serve as the foundation of our society, and they must be respected at all times and by all individuals. In this paper, the discussion of culture is impacting society Parental Communication about gender and finally the often times difficult task of Free Men want men to regain place as heads of family status should not... [tags: Gender role, Gender, Human rights, Rights]
723 words (2.1 pages)
- Millions of people around the world use computers and the internet everyday. We all use it in school, work even at home, computers have made us life easier, it has brought so many benefits to society but it has also brought some problems, cybercrimes is one of them. The internet could be considered a type of community of computer networks, therefore we could consider it a society. Like in every society, in the internet there is commerce, education, entertainment, and of course there is crime, cybercrime.... [tags: Internet Crime, Cyber Crime Essays]
1748 words (5 pages)
- Computers have improved a great deal from the time that they were invented to the present. They have even improved a great deal from year to year. This may be positive, but then again it has a negative effect on society. The use and advancement of technology has increased different types of crimes like the following; terrorism, black marketing, and theft crimes. It is also responsible for the success of their respective criminal assets. These technologies related crimes are described by one word, which is cyber crime.... [tags: Internet Crime, Cyber Crime Essays]
689 words (2 pages)