In modern times a single country might also be considered to be hegemonic if it possesses enough power to influence the way that other countries behave in the international system. Hegemonic states, such as the British Empire of the mid-19th century and the United States of the 21st century, have extraordinary influence over many other countries. The hegem...
... middle of paper ...
... the members of the historical bloc. The moment counter-hegemonic activities gain influence or rather put the hegemons under duress, consent ceases to be a way of ruling people. Hegemons have the capability to act unilaterally when it comes to pursuing their own interests. This move raises expectations among domestic players and officials that the government will do whatever is necessary when the national interests are at stake. Hegemons also have a role to play in maintaining international order provided by international law or international institutions. This ensures fair distribution of power and prevents rise of conflicts. Under this we see hegemons in a position where they have to follow the rules and regulations o the institutions they helped establish. Doing otherwise undermines the existence if such institutions even if it is not in its interest to do so.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The current ‘First Past the Post (FPTP)’ system within Canada has many benefits, as it allows the government to pass bills with ease, if they have a majority government (majority of seats); however, a majority of Canadian citizens each election are disappointed with the result, and/or feel like their vote did not matter. The reason behind all the concern within Canada, post election is that the seats needed to make a majority, can be acquired without having a majority of the populace within the riding.... [tags: Elections, Voting system, Election, Voting]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- The Passion of Macbeth: The Past, Present and Future In Macbeth, Shakespeare examines the significance of time in the form of one’s present and future through the unfortunate character of Macbeth. Macbeth is an ordinary soldier, loyal to the king as the Thane of Glamis, prior to his meeting with the three witches. The three witches reveal to Macbeth his future “All, hail Macbeth. Hail to three, Thane of Cawdor. All, hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!” (1.3. 49-50). For the most part one does not know his or her own future.... [tags: Macbeth, Future, Time, Past, Present, Macbeth]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- Mikhaylovich Group topic: Problem Identification PO was a no show, no call for IOP group today. CDP received email from PO’s CCO “He’s in jail for assault. He and friend shoplifted booze out of a grocery store in Seattle and Paul hurled his skateboard at the loss prevention officer-whom ducked and he ended up hitting his friend. His hearing isn’t until 12/10- just FYI.” Eliason Group topic: Problem Identification PO was not present for IOP group today. PO left a voice message stating that he won’t be able to attend group as he was still not feeling well.... [tags: Problem solving, Psychology, Problem]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Introduction In this study we will explore Johathan taking a look at his current as well as his past aspirations. John’s plans for his future have shifted sparking concern on the behalf of his school counselor. A team was assembled to prevent Jonathan from dropping out of school. The team will use the results of his Kuder Navigator examination, the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test a differential aptitude test and his report cards. Scales of Measurement The Kuder Navigator is based on an ordinal scale assigning a score of 1 through 4 indicating your current skill for various tasks (Drummond & Jones, 2010).... [tags: Psychometrics, Test, Reliability, Truck]
1072 words (3.1 pages)
- In the past 150 years, tens of millions of men, women and children have lost their lives to ethnic cleansing or genocide. Although the definition is often scrutinized, according to Merriam Webster, "Genocide is the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political or cultural group". The most notable event associated with the term is the Holocaust. Stated by Judah Gribets, Edward Greenstein and Regina Stein, "nearly six million Jews fell victim to genocide during the years of the Holocaust".... [tags: Murder, Death, Conflict]
1437 words (4.1 pages)
- In examining the export growth China has experienced in the past with the current economic forecast, it is important to consider many of the factors involved. Some important aspect in this change in conditions would be the forced worker wage increase and its impact on the economic wealth of the country along with, the restructuring of industrialization based on worker demands and its effects. China’s changes have affected many of the smaller and developing countries playing into the global exports mix.... [tags: International trade, Economics, Trade, Export]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- The past, the present and the future. Can they exists at the same time. Today I was driving one of my best friends to the airport, she stayed for one week in Miami; while I was crying saying goodbye at the airport, I remembered the good time we had in the last week and how fast it passed. Now we are in the present, saying goodbye. This is how we start seeing we don 't have three separated times. In our minds time is always mixed with: past, present and future. Like professor Phillip Zimbardo said on the psychology of time video: we can be oriented at the time we choose, some people tend to worry excessively about the future and all they do is work for it; some can be past oriented either in... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- Past and Current Trends of Drug Abuse in the United States Drug abuse has changed over the years due to the trends that Americans face from the encouragement of different cultures. The abuse of substances creates many health problems. The following will discuss the past and current trends of drug use and the effects these drugs have on the health of the individuals who abuse the drugs. The use of cocaine in the United States has declined over the last twenty years while the use of crack has increased.... [tags: Substance Abuse Essays]
700 words (2 pages)
- Marcel Proust Defines the Self in Remembrance of Things Past Proust seems to be unique among the twentieth century authors in that his denial of rational thought is through the use of sensation to respond to the problem--instead of experience, for example--by defining the self as a retrievable essence comprised of all past experiences. Our human condition is defined by mortality, contingency, and discontentment. This reality combined with the new outlooks of relationships between our lives and the objects that surround us in our world, have caused authors in the twentieth century to question traditional Western thought.... [tags: Remembrance Things Past]
1656 words (4.7 pages)
- Current Event Article Analysis Article # 1 Titled: Yes: There are Limits to the right to bear arms Source: Union Tribune or Signonsandiego Date: Dec. 21 2007 By: Kristen Rand Summary/Analysis : This article discusses the amendment about gun control specifically the right to bear arms. But it isn’t discussing it on the U.S. mainland but instead on the District of Columbia. The Controversy is whether or not the District is bound to the same laws and amendments that the rest of the United States is.... [tags: Current Events]
1475 words (4.2 pages)
- Caluclating Major and Minor Head Losses
- Roald Dahl's Use of Tone for Character Development: An Outline
- Methods for Numerology Readings
- SHARP: A Joint Spectrum Allocation, Handover and Routing Protocol for Cognitive Radio Ad Hoc Networks
- Personal Development Plan
- Leading Improvement in Literacy Instruction