... middle of paper ...
I glanced at him, reading his delicate face. He wasn’t scared. He wasn’t scary. He was probably right that many people wouldn’t do it, assuming we all have the same connotations of ‘a stranger’.
‘So am I, so you should be careful because who knows, I could be the Big Bad Wolf around these parts!’ I replied, my lips also curling slightly into a playful smile. He laughed genuinely with his eyes crinkled at the corners, and the room fell silent except for the buzzing and rattling of the machines surrounding us.
‘Am I Little Red Riding Hood then?’ he asked me in amusement, and I smiled.
‘You could be.’
The laundromat owner came back coated in a layer of snow and shivers, holding bags of detergent and dryer sheets. He nodded with acknowledgement at us and hurriedly went into the back room behind the main counter, trailing snow behind him that already began to melt.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Animal Cruelty In the United States, an animal is abused every 60 seconds. Neglected and terrified, these animals are constantly fighting for their lives (“Every Animal Deserves a Second Chance”). As common and harmful as it is, animal cruelty was not a felony in all 50 states until just a few months ago (March 14, 2014) when South Dakota effectively set the new law, making animal abuse a crime countrywide (Berry). Just because animal abuse is illegal, doesn’t mean that people aren’t continuing to commit these atrocious acts of violence.... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse]
1373 words (3.9 pages)
- In literary works, cruelty often functions as a crucial motivator. In The Things They Carried, acts of cruelty are crucial to the entire theme of the book. There are plenty examples of cruelty throughout this book. The examples include, animal cruelty, mental cruelty, and physical cruelty. The cruelty in The Things They Carried acts as the end product of motivation and it reveals a lot about the past, present, and future of each character involved. Animal cruelty leads to violence against human beings.... [tags: Violence, Abuse, Domestic violence]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- How Can People Alleviate Dog Cruelty Problems. The delightful speech of a lawyer named George Graham Vest in front of the Missourian court in USA to impeach a man of killing his client’s dog touched people’s hearts around the world. It might be one of the most effective event that encouraged people to stand up for animal’s rights, especially dogs; at the same the time, dog cruelty problem is more and more ubiquitous and prevalent, given that 9,000 pets are killed or abused every day across the US based on the research of Best Friends Animal Society.... [tags: Dog, Pet, Animal welfare, Abuse]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- In, Noah and the flood, god’s punishment of destroying the world with a flood, I believe was justified. It was justified because the lord saw the earth filled with evil, which lead him to think about a consequence for human creatures. The lord felt sick of his creation even stating, “ Every scheme of his heart’s devising was only perpetually evil”. The lord was referring to his human creation showing how furious he was towards these creatures that lead to him to create the flood. The usage of the flood in my opinion was a great way to eliminate human creatures because this caused them to suffer and drown to death.... [tags: Prison, Punishment, Human, Thought]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- ... Many procedures inflict pain to study its effects and remedies and "killing by carbon dioxide asphyxiation, neck-breaking, decapitation, or other means." One of the most commonly used test is the Draize eye test, it is used by cosmetics companies to evaluate irritation caused by shampoos and other cosmetic products. The test involves rabbits being restrained with their eyelids held open by clips, sometimes for multiple days, in order to keep them from blinking away the products being tested.... [tags: cruelty and exploitation]
1066 words (3 pages)
- I read the book Drowning Anna by Sue Mayfield. It is a book about a girl who is forced to deal with a ruthless bully, Hayley Parkin. She also goes through heartbreak, backstabbing, and much more. Anna Goldsmith, the main character of my book, moves from a classy city in London, England, to a small Yorkshire town. At first, she is treated like a queen, mostly because of her movie-star good looks. She has beautiful black hair, and perfect, glowing skin. She is also an A student. She plays the in the orchestra and succeeds in everything that she does.... [tags: Drowning Anna, Sue Mayfield]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- My Memorable Drowning Moment Today, for my personal development, my mind slipped back to the summer I learned to swim in deep water. In the summer 1963, I loved to hang with my friends on the weekend at a swimming pool in my town. I was a boy – maybe fourteen-years-old, and Joan was my girl companion. My memorable drowning story shows how obstacles can be overcome, fears can be strengths, and sometimes an accident becomes an opportunity. It’s a story that changed my belief: “If you believe that anything is possible, there are amazing adventures awaiting you.” I had deep-water phobia because I had a mind-set that the water would choke my throat, and I might die under water.... [tags: Swimming pool, Diving, Human swimming, Drowning]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- “Nobody heard him, the dead man, / but still he lay moaning:” This is how many people go on through life. Many are dying inside but you would never know. It is possible for people to create masks to hide their emotions. Sometimes these masks are so deceptive that even close friends or family members cannot see through then until it is too late. In Stevie Smith’s poem, “Not Waving but Drowning” the writer effectively highlights how someone’s cry for help can be mistaken for joy. It is important for people to at least have someone who cares about them and knows them well enough to see when something is going wrong in their lives.... [tags: Not Waving but Drowning]
713 words (2 pages)
- Fight the Cruelty Animal cruelty is a very sad topic, but it needs to be addressed. Innocent animals are harmed by humans, and not for self defence or survival. People do this just to do it, and that is why it is so ridiculous. Some do it to benefit from the animal, use them for things like fashion. There are other alternatives to making a fur coat, harming an innocent animal should not be an option. The fact that humans do it and get away with it is sickening. There are laws that protect the animals, but people, especially hunters, find ways around them.... [tags: Abuse, Cruelty to animals, The Animals]
1064 words (3 pages)
- Drowning is the second leading cause of injury deaths of infants and children younger than 15 years old in the United States. I know many of you may have small children and relatives so this may be of some interest to you. A personal experience happened to me when I was around seven years old. I still can remember it like yesterday. This incident almost cost me my life, I was disobedient and it still has a big effect on me now. This little act of mine caused a lot of stress to many people, I was seven years old and at the time I was the only child.... [tags: essays research papers]
580 words (1.7 pages)