For instance, Gil a 40-year-old Mexican American man has been married for more than 15 years to his high school sweetheart and they have two children. Gil owns a fleet of s...
... middle of paper ...
...most important stumbling block to effective multicultural counseling and assessment (Romero, 1985). Language barriers also impede the counseling process. The complexity of the client thoughts and feelings or resist discussing effectively charged issues, and counselors, may become frustrated by their lack of bilingual ability, leading to misdiagnosis and inappropriate treatment (Romero, 1985). However, steps that can be taken to ensure that counseling a client is both culturally competent and ethical is that counselors obtain proper trainings. Cultural competence requires that people at all levels learn to value diversity. For cultural competence training just as it would for other forms of continuing education. A culture of learning, where self-assessment and staff development are regular program activities, lends itself to cultural competence (SAMHSA, 2006).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Comparing Codes for Test Users Throughout history mankind has utilized testing. Testing or experiments are done on a daily basis. People do this without even realizing it; it has become part of our daily lives. Most of today’s modern technology such as electricity, cars, and even television were based on a series of experiments. Humans are known to be curious and want to understand how and why things were or happen. This curiosity extends to wanting to know how we act, feel, and understand things.... [tags: Counseling ]
1507 words (4.3 pages)
- Marriage and family counselors are counselors distinctively trained to work with family systems and provide therapy for people who wish to solve emotional conflicts. Their goal, with therapy, is to revise people's perceptions and behavior, expand communication, and prevent individual and family crises. Although marriage and family counseling has a broad history, formal recognition of the professional counseling specialization can be traced to the establishment in 1989 of the International Association of Marriage and Family Counseling (IAMFC), which is a division of the American Counseling Association.... [tags: Psychology]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Rape within the Military as a Global Social Issue Rape has been going on since the beginning of time. It is a crime that takes place not only in our country, in our world, but even in our military. The first rape crisis center was established in the 1970’s. Now more than ever, many men and women in the military are coming forward after these horrific assaults are forced against them. Unlike past decades, this tragic and vicious crime is being brought to the fore front, and starting to be addressed more than ever.... [tags: rapporteur, sexual abuse]
2054 words (5.9 pages)
- My social work practice in the Philippines in child protection primarily uses conventional social work theories. Now that I am exposed to the Canadian perspective that emphasizes on progressive approaches, it occurs to me that the social problem my agency intended to pursue only solved it in its periphery and not the social structures that created and maintained them. Not surprisingly, the same problem twenty years ago was the same struggle being solved now. By maintaining a conservative framework, Bantay Bata 163 failed to see that the cause of the enduring social problem of child abuse is caused by the patriarchal system.... [tags: Sociology, Social work, Child abuse, Family]
1207 words (3.4 pages)
- Statement of Purpose The purpose of this statement is to meet the Simmons criteria to enroll in the MSWP. Therefore, a description of the Social Work profession and its core values is a profession designed to provide guidance, counseling and to advocate for the disenfranchised people of all genders, races, ethnicities and cultures, to facilitate their ability to achieve a better quality of life. This facilitation could be in areas such as mental health, care for the elderly, and placement of children in foster homes, all in an effort to improve quality of life.... [tags: Sociology, Social work]
1469 words (4.2 pages)
- Nazari was at home anticipating our meeting. He called to confirm the appointment the day before. Nazari started the session with talking about how inspired he was with our previous conversation when the writer directed the session towards a phenomenon of patience, the importance of improving skills of patience, and consequently cognitive restructuring of priorities. The client was glad to report his improvement. He reportedly focused his effort first on getting a driving licence. At the moment he takes the opportunity to travel to Melbourne where he uses to drive a car under the supervision of his friend.... [tags: Psychology]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- The Ukraine is ranked as a tier 2 watch list country. Having been on the watch list for four consecutive years, the Ukraine submitted a plan of action that would meet the minimum requirements of the 2000 UN TIP Protocol thereby avoiding its downgrade to a tier 3 ranking. The Ukraine is a source, transit, and destination country for sexual trafficking, forced labor, and begging. Many of its state run orphanages are plagued with trafficking, coercing their wards into forced labor, begging, and sexual exploitation.... [tags: Human trafficking, Slavery, Ukraine, Kiev]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Introduction Personal finances are a major issue within the Department of Defense (DoD). Statistically the younger service members are the one’s with the most incidents of financial problems. The DoD is aware that this is a serious problem and has funded and commissioned many educational and training programs as well as counseling to help teach and assist the brave men and women who serve our country. The problem isn’t the lack of resources; it’s a lack of marketing these resources and preemptively preparing these service members before they run into financial problems.... [tags: Investment, Personal finance, Finance, Army]
1113 words (3.2 pages)
- In the United States, its population consists of variety of races, ethnic and mixed groups including White Americans. Although the U.S is considered as a modern day melting pot country, White Americans are still considered the majority. Not only are they the majority in population, but they are also best known as the privileged population as well. Considering the diversity in the U.S, each person typically goes through a process of shaping their identity including White Americans. This process consists of experiences and influences from an individual, group and universal level.... [tags: Racism, White people, Color, Race]
1026 words (2.9 pages)
- Social Work and the Military Social workers in all branches of the military are helping families and military personnel prepare for, and cope with, the hardships of war. They do so through a range of preventive and clinical services provided by the Veteran Administration with many different types of programs, including family-support and mental-health counseling. The mission statement of the VA Social Workers is to eliminate significant barriers to clients in need and offer interventions for veterans and families.... [tags: Veteran Services Army Essays Papers]
976 words (2.8 pages)