Essay PreviewMore ↓
The manager faced a problem at RSc a few weeks back when an employee came to work half drunk. The employee had not been drinking that morning but was still drunk from the night before; he was doing his work and not acting much different from usual. However, you could smell it on him three feet away no matter what the manager tried, such as having him brush his teeth, chew gum, Etc. It is very busy this time of year and the employee was needed very badly at work to help on the front counter helping customers and answering phones. The manager sit back and watched him during the first 30 minutes after the doors were open and was thinking of a way to keep him at work but not be noticed for the reason that it was so busy and having him work in the back or sending him home could put more work on the other employees. However, keeping him there could get the employee into trouble along with the manager for having him up front while smelling of beer working with customers and one of them smell him and say something or complain about him. This employee has never made a habit of this so it was a first for him and he is a very valuable employee. The manager after about an hour into work had thought the situation over and decided that he couldn’t take the chance of having this employee at work for heath and safety reasons. The only thing to do was take his chances of having more work piled on others and send this employee home for the day. Even though the employee did not drink anything before or at work, he was still a little drunk that next morning at work and he smelled of beer. The manager had to do the right thing and send him home without pay and if it happened again, he was warned that he would be written up, when you receive three write ups you are terminated.
How to Cite this Page
"Critical Thinking." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Critical thinking is not a new concept just emerging from the think-tanks and universities that bring us innovative educational concepts. Critical thinking has existed since the days of Plato, Socrates, and other great ancient philosophers. Ancient Greeks believed that critical thinking “not only involved an examination of eloquent words and actions of other people,” as Plato had believed, “but also an examination of one’s own thoughts and actions” (Sriraman & Adrian, 2004, p. 97). Another outspoken advocate of critical thinking was Francis Bacon, a controversial scientist from the early seventeenth century.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1980 words (5.7 pages)
- Every day, living creatures are making decisions. Whether the decisions are big or small, they have to be made. As the decisions are performed, there is a process that one goes through. Different types of thinking styles and thought processes are available. The way one feels, believes, attitudes, and relating ideas can play a big part in their thinking styles. Various methods of thinking and thinking styles are used. In this paper the subject is to discuss is three different types of thinking styles.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- We often refer to critical thinking as someone who can think very clearly, with reason and complex ideas. This is somewhat true. Yes that does help to begin and mend a critical thinker but critical thinking also includes a combination of skills. Those main characteristics are self awareness, honesty, open-mindedness discipline, and judgment. Using these characteristics daily and with practice develops an amazing critical thinker. That person can live life solving hard problems, creating new ways of solving them, and using new ideas and techniques when needed.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Critical thinking in relation to research papers involves identifying the author’s position, arguments and conclusions but also the line of reasoning that is used to support the conclusions (Cottrell 2005). The use of educational research papers’ is to understand possible relationships between existing practices and educational policy and legislation. Therefore, it is important to relate educational research papers into a wider context and discover links between other research findings. I shall argue that the given Student A’s (Student 2010) paper for this assignment contains too many quotations and descriptive writing compared to the required criteria of critical thinking.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- For our module three assignment “Research and Inclusiveness” we were tasked with finding a full-text article on issues of diversity and their impact on leadership effectiveness. After two days of research, several searches with varying degrees of search parameters, and scanning multiple articles, I narrowed my search down to the article “Diversity as Strategy” (September 2004) by David A. Thomas, who is a professor of organizational behavior and human resources management at Harvard Business School in Boston.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Asian Philosophies of Critical Thinking The research question of this extended essay came across at a very early stage in my life. Having been born and developed from a family with all its members being University instructors and professors, I was often involved in arguments related to the lack of critical thinking in Asian cultures. As I got older, having had the chance to emerge in different cultures, I started to develop my own viewpoints and answers. I started to wonder about the truth between the real differences of Asian and Western philosophies of critical thinking.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
5517 words (15.8 pages)
- Bertrand Russell on Critical Thinking The ideal of critical thinking is a central one in Russell's philosophy, though this is not yet generally recognized in the literature on critical thinking. For Russell, the ideal is embedded in the fabric of philosophy, science, liberalism and rationality, and this paper reconstructs Russell's account, which is scattered throughout numerous papers and books. It appears that he has developed a rich conception, involving a complex set of skills, dispositions and attitudes, which together delineate a virtue which has both intellectual and moral aspects.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
4358 words (12.5 pages)
- The concepts of critical thinking and creative thinking are both gaining increasing importance in the world today. Critical thinking allows people to understand difficult concepts in a manner that is clearer and more defined. They can more readily understand those concepts if they employ critical thinking. In all portions of everyday life, a person is expected to make independent judgments. Those judgments are based on experience and knowledge. Without the ability to think critically, every situation that a person comes across would have to be considered in isolation from all other situations.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
1255 words (3.6 pages)
- Critical thinking occurs when a person thinks about a subject or problem to where the improvement of the quality of ones own thinking using skillful analogies, then assessing and reconstructing them. A few important skills that is learned through critical thinking is learning how to discipline oneself in thinking, understanding the world as well as learning themselves. Critical thinking in the business world has many benefits in the process of decision making by employers as well as employees. The manager faced a problem at RSc a few weeks back when an employee came to work half drunk.... [tags: Critical Thinking Essays]
701 words (2 pages)
- Critical Thinking Application Critical thinking is the art of thinking in a manner that is critical. This means that prior to making a decision one must be informed about possible repercussions and/or outcomes, this is particularly true in the case of both employers and an employees. A decision maker must be willing to “choose how to respond to opportunities and problems on the basis of a simplified and approximate account of the situation” (George & Jones, 2005, pg 475), while a stakeholder (in this case an employee) must be willing and able to complete any task that is put before him or her.... [tags: Critical Thinking Decision]
763 words (2.2 pages)
Critical thinking was used in making this decision, the manager after seeing the employee and how he was that morning, it raised a question. However, this begins the thinking process of what do in this situation. The manager, in the hour into work he allowed enough time to give the issue careful analysis while reflecting on both sides of the argument he was facing. He stayed self disciplined and open minded; as well as not acting impulsively (DeSilva 2006).
In conclusion, “critical thinking is the disciplined art of ensuring that you use the best thinking you are capable of in any set of circumstances. The general goal of thinking is to figure out some situation” (Critical Thinking, 2001, p. 1), solve some problem, answer some questions, or resolve some issue It also is a process in which a person pursuits reliable and pertinent information about the world. Critical thinking is often described as reasonable, ruminative, trustworthy, and a well practiced form of thinking that assists people with deciding what they should believe in and what actions should be taken. A practiced critical thinker will ask good questions, collects pertinent data, categorizes common characteristics, logically reasons with the new data and then he or she will come to a trustworthy and dependable conclusion. Critical thinking makes use of many processes and procedures. Some processes include but is not limited to asking questions, making judgments, and identifying assumptions.
DeSilva, M. (2006). Achieve Abundance in Every Area of Your Life, Retrieved August, 25 2008, from http://www.achieving-life-abundance.com/index.html.
Critical Thinking, Tools for Taking Charge of Your Learning and Your Life, by Richard Paul and Linda Elder. Retrieved August, 24, 2008 from http://www.criticalthinking.org