“You see me running around wrestling crocs and grabbing venomous snakes,” he told People, “but we’re into conservation. That’s our passion. That’s my whole aim in life” (Amerman 2) world famous host of The Crocodile Hunter, Stephen Robert Irwin once said. Irwin's undeniable passion for animals were not only showed in his words throughout his life but also his conservation movements which led him to a life of wildlife exploration. Physical strength, mental power, and many other characteristics drew the viewers of The Crocodile Hunter to support the famous Australian wildlife fanatic. Irwin also once said, “Fear is a natural thing that us humans have. It keeps us alive. So every time I go in on a venomous snake, a crocodile, a bear, a cougar, a tiger shark-any wild animal- I get a little scared, a little nervy. Fear is a good thing” (Shears 38). Irwin played a significant role in wildlife conservation throughout his entire life by relocating reptiles, appearing on television conservation channels, running the Australian Zoo wildlife centre, and participating in many other projects including wildlife preservation which over the years earned him the name, The Crocodile Hunter.
Irwin was born near Melbourne on February 22nd, 1962, son of Bob and Lyn Irwin (Baker 15). Not shortly after he was born, Irwin’s parents decided to open Beerwah National Park to fulfill their dream of opening a wildlife park. “In 1973, when Steve was 11, the wildlife centre, then known as the Beerwah Reptile Park, opened up for the first time. What a contrast it was to today’s slick Australia Zoo venture, but as Steve was to so often point out through his career, his parents had to start somewhere, learning all the way” (Shears 70). Irwin went to...
... middle of paper ...
...4). Irwin was a well loved as the famous Crocodile Hunter, but as the empowering man that represented a huge role in wildlife conservation around the world as well.
Amerman, Don. "Steve Irwin." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 2001. Biography in Context. Web. 15 Jan. 2014.
Baker, Trevor. Steve Irwin: The Incredible Life of the Crocodile Hunter. New York, NY: Thunder's Mouth, 2006. Print.
Irwin, Steve, and Terri Irwin. The Crocodile Hunter: The Incredible Life and Adventures of Steve and Terri Irwin. New York: Dutton, 2001. Print.
Shears, Richard. Wildlife Warrior: Steve Irwin, 1962-2006: A Man Who Changed the World. Sydney, Australia: New Holland, 2006. Print.
"Steve Irwin · Education Quotes 4." Steve Irwin / Education Quotes. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2014.
"Steve Irwin." Gale Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Gale Power Search. Web. 13 Jan. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) Crocodylus acutus, or more commonly referred to as the American crocodile, is the second most widely distributed of the New World crocodiles, ranging from the southern tip of Florida, both the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts of Southern Mexico, as well as the Caribbean islands of Cuba, Jamaica, and Hispaniola¡¨ (1 Species). These areas provide the perfect climate for these endangered species that have roamed the earth for over 200 million years. Florida is known for its large population of American alligators, which are often confused for the rare American crocodile.... [tags: Research Papers Crocodiles Animals Essays]
2460 words (7 pages)
- Bow hunting can be a fun and exiting sport to do. But first you must learn how to do so. There several steps involved becoming a successful bow-hunter. You must have proper equipment, good hunting habitat, and skill with a little technique. Have a nice bow with comfortable poundage that you can draw back easily fully dressed. Too much poundage will surely give you away. A compound bow or a recurve bow will both work well. Compound bows are more expensive and are require frequent tuning. Recurve bows are simple and quite.... [tags: learn bow hunting hunter]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- The key ingredient of Krokodil is desomorphine which resembles opiates. Krokodil is dihydrodesoxymorphine, dihydrodesoxymorhpine-D. The difference is desomorphine is semi-synthetic opioid. The believed mechanism of action is opioid receptor agonist which causes an increase in endorphin levels because the drug’s similarity to opioids. Krokodil is an agonists of mu opioid receptors, and fewer agonistic activity on kappa and delta opioid receptors. Opioids inhibit the nerve transmission because it binds mu opioid receptors postsynaptically and presynaptically to the dorsal horn of the spinal cord (Pharmacology Weekly, 2009).... [tags: nausea, vomiting, constipation]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
Comparing and Contrasting the Australian Films, "Crocodile Dundee" and "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert"
- Crocodile Dundee (1986) directed by Peter Faiman and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) directed by Stephan Elliott are two Australian films that have unique plots. The expositions of both films have various similarities and differences in the context of quirky ‘Aussie’ characters, stereotypical Australian language, themes and the vast outback setting. The exposition of each film reaffirms typical Australian stereotypes. The Australia Outback is portrayed in films as vast and red.... [tags: movies]
562 words (1.6 pages)
- The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCuller In Carson McCuller’s novel, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, the main theme is isolation and a search for some connection to be normal. McCuller’s traces the lives of five characters that center their lives around one main character named John Singer, a deaf-mute. These characters are representative of all people and not just their specific characters in the novel. McCuller’s is characterized as a Southern-Gothic writer, and was known for her depiction of lonely characters, as well as carefully describing the sexual alienation of their desolate lives.... [tags: Heart Lonely Hunter Carson McCuller Essays]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- Ideal Mate Throughout one's entire life, they search for that perfect soul mate to live a happy and lasting life together. Many young adults are facing challenges when selecting a suitable mate who they would hope to enjoy marital success. A perfect spouse is impossible to find, but an ideal one may be easier. The guidelines I will use to select my mate are I would look for someone who is honest, committed, respectful, loving and well-educated person because these qualities are vital for me. These qualities are important for a lifetime relationship and that will be a lasting marriage.... [tags: Interpersonal Relationships]
568 words (1.6 pages)
- ... Then an abrupt silence fell, so complete that Rainsford’s breath seemed like canon fire. He slowly turned his head to look below him. “Got him!” A two pairs of eyes gazed up at Rainsford along with the muzzle of a gun. A shot fired off right next to his head and he scrambled frantically down the opposite side of the tree, the branches cutting gouges into his hands. More shots fired around his head, and he came to the conclusion that they were trying to drive him toward something even more horrendous.... [tags: personal narrative]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- My freshman year of college was a great experience, as I wallowed in my opportunities of having independence and forming new friendships. However, experiencing a romantic relationship was not a top priority until I stumbled across a guy who seemed to be a potential mate. The way we encountered each other was a depiction of what I thought was a lovely way to meet a mate. It was around lunchtime on a regular school day, and just like other days, I strolled around campus to find a place to grab lunch.... [tags: relationship, couple, prince charming]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- The Running Mate, Joe Klein’s political novel, contained a fictional candidate named Charlie Martin. In this book, Charlie Martin is democratic candidate for the U. S. Senate. Martin was a Vietnam veteran, who became a politician because of his mother who was Martin’s hometown Mayor. Four years earlier, Mr. Martin ran for President. He was defeated in the primary election by the current fictional President, Democrat Jack Stanton and at the end of novel has aspirations to run for Governor. Charlie Martin has several strengths and weakness as a political candidate.... [tags: essays research papers]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Coffee Mate has couple of key benefits that make people buy it. First of all, its the easiest alternative to milk. People who cannot drink their coffee without milk, dont need to carry around or look for milk since just some coffee mate will do the same job. On the other hand, coffee mate comes with a flavour which could interest some of the people and which makes you use less sugar for sure. Apart from these, coffee mate is easy to buy and store and has a much longer life than milk which makes it a good substiture for milk.... [tags: Business Analysis Market]
860 words (2.5 pages)