As young people begin their transition into university life there is reason to suggest that the lack of financial literacy provided through public or private education has caused an increase in debt for the demographic. However, credit card debt is not a new social issue and does not find its origin with college students. Debt among Americans has steadily grown as more people rely on credit cards. These habits have provided an example to younger generations, which has shaped how money is managed. Given that money is often viewed as promoting security, status, and power many issues arise over debt specifically related to newer spenders.
... middle of paper ...
Matz, D. (2003). Personal finance. Make financial education part of the three r’s. Retrieved
Norvilitis, J. (2002). Credit card debt on college campuses: Causes, consequences, and solutions.
College Student Journal, 36 (3), 356.
Palmer, T., Pinto, M., & Parente, D. (2001). College students’ credit card debt and the role of
parental involvement: Implications for public policy. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 20(1), 105-113.
Tracking the United States Congress. (2005). H.R. 1208: College student credit card protection
act. Retrieved from http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-1208
Wang, J. & Xiao, J. (2009). Buying behavior, social support and credit card indebtedness of
college students. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 33, 2-10.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Effects of Personal Financial Knowledge on College Students’ Credit Card Behavior Cliff A. Robb and Deanna L. Sharpe began their article “Effects of Personal Financial Knowledge on College Students’ Credit Card Behavior” with clarification regarding the study and also a succinct historical introduction to the ‘invasion’ of credit card companies on college campuses. Their study was based on the analysis of survey data composed from 6,520 students at a grand Midwestern University. This study revealed that financial knowledge was a compelling factor in the credit card decisions regarding college students.... [tags: Debt, Loan, Credit card, University]
1137 words (3.2 pages)
- The discussion of student loan defaults started in 1986 and since then became a priority for education ministries to look over in order to adjust and broaden eligibility for subsidized loan and increase loan limits (Shen and Ziderman, 2009). It was found that the factors that contributed to student loans default were much more complicated than a typical retail credit product as the factors are much more specific (Gross et al, 2009). Credit scoring models for student loans – Important considerations In order to create a good credit scoring model for student loans, one needs to understand what has been done in the past and in this case, the best way to understand who to grant a loan to, one n... [tags: Debt, Loan, Student loan default, Credit]
1640 words (4.7 pages)
- ... Even creditors who take the risk of lending to individuals with lower credit will be impacted in the event of default and will have to absorb the loss of delinquent or unpaid loans. In a nutshell, if you use money, you will be impacted. When a person has a lower credit score, they may be denied a loan or in the event that the loan is approved, the interest rate will typically be escalated immensely. If you are interested in purchasing your own home, you will most likely have to take out a mortgage.... [tags: Debt, Credit history, Credit, Credit card]
831 words (2.4 pages)
- ... According to “Young Adults and Higher Education: Barriers and Breakthroughs to Success”, “The current financial aid system has significant flaws, but more money is available than students or the general public often realizes. The federal government now spends $18.6 billion a year on grant aid and an additional $70 billion on student loan programs (Brock 14)”. It makes a significant difference in how much scholarship money could be used towards their education instead of out of their pocket or even student loans.... [tags: University, Higher education, College, Education]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Alcoholism Amongst College Students College is a time of trying new things. For the most part, it’s the first time young adults are living off on their own and away from parental guidance. Most of the students can handle this new lifestyle. Some take a while to adjust to the conditions of their new environment. And for others, this new experience can be too much for them. Suddenly they are thrown into close living quarters with people from other areas, even other countries. They’re surrounded by different personalities and different habits.... [tags: Alcoholism, Drinking culture, Alcohol abuse]
1530 words (4.4 pages)
- Soo-hyun Cha BU 5851 10/15/15 Research Paper Assignment #1 Dr. Garett College Students ' Spending Habits The demographic profile for today 's college students has changed significantly over the past few years. A few decades ago the typical age for college students was eighteen to twenty-one. Today more students are in their mid-twenties and work part time jobs. This creates a larger amount of disposable income for college students and the stereotypical, starving student, does not apply like it did a few years ago.... [tags: University, Education, Student, Credit history]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Introduction Ethos can be defined by Merriam Webster Dictionary as, “the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or institution.” Famous Greek philosopher and teacher Aristotle studied and taught the concept of ethos. In The Rhetoric, Aristotle identifies ethos as: …the character [ethos] of the speaker is a cause of persuasion when the speech is so uttered as to make him worthy of belief, for as a rule we trust men of probity more, and more quickly, about things in general, while on points outside the realm of exact knowledge, where opinion is divided, we trust them absolutely (qtd.... [tags: college, philosophy]
2679 words (7.7 pages)
- In 2012, eighty-four percent of Santa Clara University graduates who responded to a survey from the Santa Clara University School of Engineering obtained one or more internships during their undergraduate studies. Of those who responded, eighty-two percent were employed full-time after graduation earning a median salary of $62,500 (Santa Clara University). This research exhibits that internships can be an important strategy in the efforts toward job search for both students, as well as for employers looking to hire valuable employees.... [tags: Student Internships]
1539 words (4.4 pages)
- Grade Inflation Throughout the twenty-first century college should be a top priority for students graduating from high school, but students who make the next step into attending college are facing a problem that is growing rapidly. The problem is grade inflation transpiring within college nursing programs. Dr. Judith Scalan who is an Associate Professor and Associate Dean of the Graduate Program and Dr. Dean Care is an Associate Professor and Acting Dean at the University of Manitoba stated that “Grade Inflation can be defined as a student’s grade point average increasing without student achievement increasing” (2).... [tags: high graduation rates, methods of evaluation]
2441 words (7 pages)
- Improving the Health of College Students “Did you know that public buildings seating over one hundred people will soon have to enlarge their seats to make accommodations for overweight people?” (Winfrey) This question is only a slight definition of the problem with the unhealthy habits of today’s Americans. Research suggests that this problem of overwhelming weight gain of Americans is beginning with college students. It is estimated that the average college student will gain 15 pounds during their freshman year.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
1443 words (4.1 pages)