Her name was Mma. Although she was immortal she was cursed with the strangest longings and desires - anger, hunger, jealousy, sadness and love - and with all of this she infected all humans and animals. This is the reason why she is also called The Imperfect.
After Mma the Imperfect created the firmament she sat down on Thaba-Zimbi, the mountain of iron, and waited for more orders from Unkulunkulu. She became lonely and started to cry. She cried so loud that the stars trembled and some of them fell and her tears became rivers.
Eventually Unkulunkulu spoke: “Stop your hysterical outburst and continue to create a perfect universe!”
“No!” said Mma. “Before I continue I want a mate, for what is the sense in creating a universe only for myself?”
The earth and everything on it trembled while the Eternal Spirit spoke to Mma from His space beyond the stars. “You, Imperfect, must listen to the voice of your master! You may not question my orders. The sense in creating the universe is only known by me. Your duty is not to doubt, but to do what I say. Go on with your work at once!”
The mother goddess got to her feet. She was beautiful with four enormous breasts, each with a gleaming green nipple of emerald. With her eyes of gold she stared at the space beyond the stars where she could see the vague light that was Unkulunkulu . In vain she tried to touch him with her hands. Her lips glimmered silver as she answered him, “Oh, you have spoken, Eternal Spirit, and I heard you. As your instrument and toy I will obey you for better or worse.”
... middle of paper ...
... Pigmies. They had no hair like the people of today. Their skins were red and their eyes yellow.
While Mma was giving birth to this nation, the Tree of Life ran to seed. Where it fell, it turned into trees. The trees bore fruit, and where it fell, it turned into creatures of all sorts. From the bore of the tree came birds, among others the holy Kaa-U-La birds who had two heads. From the Tree of Life’s roots came snakes and all kinds of crawlers and insects.
And then there were life on earth.
According to the rest of this story all people looked the same and spoke the same language. Peace lasted for 10,000 years before the evil inside these people caused the origin of different races.
The baobab tree is still known as “Uhlanga Lwe Zeswe” – Reed of all nations.
Source: My People by Credo Mutwa
To follow: An African story about Evil.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Story begins on a beach with three young children playing. Violet, 14, inventor; Klaus, 12, amateur researcher; and Sunny, baby, professional biter who has not totally developed speech. When they arrive to the beach it is a cloudy foggy overcast day. Violet is spending her time here skipping rocks, Klaus is studying tide pools and Sunny is just enjoying her time being at the beach with her older siblings. Even though it is not the greatest day in the world, the children are enjoying their time spent here at their favorite place.... [tags: fog, mr. poe, children]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- When I first signed up for this class, I thought that it would be easy since it was a summer course. This was somewhat the case. The class overall was not hard but there was a lot of assignments to keep up with. When I first started my summer courses I had trouble managing my time and completing my assignments in a reasonable time. As the semester came to an end, I believe that I have grown in terms of time management. I still procrastinate sometimes on little things but not as much as I did in the beginning.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Protagonist, Short story]
1847 words (5.3 pages)
- Creative Writing on the Internet has evolved from being mainly an educational tool used over a network realized by a limited number of people who had the technical knowledge to access the data, to a widespread phenomena including not only including educational purposes but also personal interests, hobbies, and private consumerism as current browser technology makes the Internet more user-friendly and easily approachable. Since the earliest days of the Internet some of the largest providers and gateways have been universities and colleges across the world (like the University of Minnesota and its Gopher program ); many of these educational facilities would offer information about... [tags: Technology and Writing]
1270 words (3.6 pages)
- Air Disaster- Creative Writing The sight that greeted my eyes was haunting. There were dead bodies as far as the eye could see, but somehow nobody had a scratch on them. The plane was in pieces, scattered all around. As the waves rolled up the beach, more and more bodies were revealed. The sun was burning high in the sky and everyone was beginning to tire out. The cliffs towered down on us; the sand burnt our feet as we trod carefully between the corpses. It was a shock; we hadn’t expected to find anything there, but it appeared that almost everyone who had been on the plane was lying here, on the beach, with us.... [tags: Creative Writing Examples]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- As the sun slowly settled, darkness began to overcome the Earth. Sickness—had come. The sickness slowly but readily crept into each home. It was the Midnight Theft. The destructive plague stole during midnight—it stole lives. Deep in the heart of Tukenasville, people were dying, and the whole country was beginning to perish. The flowers withered as they bloomed. The mountain peaks crumbled under steer weight. Animals fled to holes to live out the final moments of their life. People were distraught, and chaos was invading every planet in the macrocosm.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
1577 words (4.5 pages)
- For my first piece of original writing I intend to create a piece primarily written for entertainment however, I also want to portray an interest into historical and political persuasions. I aim to write this piece for an audience of teenagers to young adult who are aged from around fifteen to twenty-five and are male, I also wish to identify with those interested in political thrillers within this age range. The genre of which shall be a short fiction story consisting chiefly of narrative and written in the third person.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
673 words (1.9 pages)
- I moaned softly to myself as I compelled my battered legs to carry me for the last time along the over-grown garden path, which I had once skipped down so carelessly as a young boy. I sighed as I surveyed the acres; the once beautifully manicured, but now utterly disheveled expanse of garden stretching before me. My gaze rested on the immense oak tree that cut into the landscape, once majestic and verdant but now withered and dieing. I apprehensively forced my eyes to look directly ahead of me and focused them upon the house that had once given me so much happiness as a boy.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
469 words (1.3 pages)
- It was a frosty night. The ground was soft, but dry. The sun had almost set, and thick grey clouds moved slowly and silently through the sky. The air smelt damp, the only sound anyone could have heard was their own breathing, and the occasional chirping of a bird above. The air was cool, a soft wind blew through the trees and Corporal Brown shuddered, though not with discomfort and coolness, but with terror and anxiety for the forthcoming events. As the slight whistle from the wind sounded in her ears, she lowered herself down, as low as she could get, into the soft muddy earth amongst the bushes.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- It was almost 6 o’clock and the night was drawing closer. Waiting patiently for the return of his prey, he lay with his body embedded in the fallen leaves of what looked like an endless procession of hedges. The silence was deafening. He had been there for almost three hours, and only one car had passed by, it was going to be a long night for him. The skies were casting a dark, unwanted shadow over him, as though they knew for what purpose he was present. It had started to rain, its pressure strengthening rapidly.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- It had been love at first sight, the day I met Tom. That stormy night so many years ago, I can remember every last detail of it. The second I’d seen him, our eyes had locked. He was tall, had chocolate brown hair and eyes I could stare into all day. I knew instantly I was in love. A mutual friend had seen the intent gaze we shared and introduced us. And from then on, everything just got better and better. It was like living a dream. He took me out to dinner, met my parents – they loved him, he even agreed to come shopping with me.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
984 words (2.8 pages)