Technology has transformed the world as we know it and our lives at present are considerably different than our ancestors. The use of electronic devices and especially with combination of internet has become almost a necessity.
Over the past decade, internet usage has been significantly influenced by the use of social media and it radically transformed the use of internet. Understanding the impact of social media on personal, social and also institutional level can utilize it efficiently.
Social media is a platform which enables interactive communication among individuals, communities and organizations. The authors of "Users of the World, Unite!" define social media as a "group of Internet-based applications that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of user-generated content" (Kaplan & Haenlein, 2010).
Social media act a platform for collaborating social interactions and also it continually evolves the opportunities for interactions. By understanding the challenges and opportunities in social media, substantial and persuasive changes can be introduced in communication (Kietzmann, Hermkens, Kristopher, Ian & Silvestre, 2011).
The purpose of this research is to identify the building blocks of social media, opportunities and challenges in using social media as platform for effective communication, understand the current trends and understand future possibilities.
Over the past decade several social media platforms came into existence and each of them are significant in their own way. Using a single social media as a platform may be advantageous, as it will limit the reachability and defeat the actually purpose of communication. As an ...
... middle of paper ...
...aatarjav, E.-A., & Dantu, R. (2011). Current and Future Trends in Social Media. 2011 IEEE Third Int’l Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust and 2011 IEEE Third Int'l Conference on Social Computing, 1384–1385. doi:10.1109/PASSAT/SocialCom.2011.125
Ellison, N., Lampe, C., & Steinfield, C. (2009). FEATURE Social network sites and society: current trends and future possibilities. Interactions, 6–9. Retrieved from http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1456204
Kaplan, A. M., & Haenlein, M. (2010). Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media. Business Horizons, 53(1), 59–68. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
Kietzmann, J. H., Hermkens, K., McCarthy, I. P., & Silvestre, B. S. (2011). Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media. Business Horizons, 54(3), 241–251. doi:10.1016/j.bushor.2011.01.005
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Results Task 1: Analysis of Scholarly Journals and Articles on the Topic of Social Media Marketing The analysis of the scholarly articles and journals provided a large amount of information on social media itself and the effectiveness of using it as a marketing strategy. In the article “From Social to Sale”, the authors’ findings indicate that television advertising and e-mail marketing have a positive effect on consumer spending (Kumar, Ashish, et al). They also found that consumers with greater privacy concerns are less likely to participate in a company’s social media site.... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Facebook]
813 words (2.3 pages)
- Zappos, is an online retailer that combines shoes and social media remarkably well. The company is one of the earliest adopter of social media for marketing purposes and it has certainly taken a leadership position. Social media is a core part of Zappos’s business strategy, and they utilize this by using Twitter to collaborate with consumers, employees, vendors and investors. “Scores of blogger, lots of video blogging, and 198 employees on Twitter help keep the company’s profile high and humanize the folks behind the shoe sale” ( (Kirkpatrick, 2008).... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- How to increase business with Social Media Marketing Did you know more than 92% of small business owners strongly agree to the importance of social media marketing for business. Or that social media marketing has a 100% higher lead-to-close rate than outbound marketing. According to Marketing Guru Neil Patel- “Social media is the fastest growing trend in the history of the world.” What is social media marketing. As per Wikipedia “Social media marketing is the process of gaining website traffic or attention through social media sites.” However, Neil Patel again defines it appropriately Regardless of the industry, you serve, investing in social media marketing will help your organizati... [tags: Social media, Social network service, Twitter]
2027 words (5.8 pages)
- Social media networks are communities of people who typically share a common behaviour, idea, interest or activity. A social network indicates a graph of relationships (social familiarities) within a group of individuals (people, organisations). Social networking sites have increased in the last decade. The most popular social networks include Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn. They facilitate communication by providing a variety of ways for users to interact with each other like e-mail or instant message.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Social network service]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- If you ever thought about influencers ' social media success, you 've probably noticed a number of factors that are involved in the influencers popularity. There are certain common things which take their personal brands to the next level such as a huge number of followers, a dedicated audience, and the regular re-sharing of their content. That being said, it 's true that these top guys get a lot of traction on social media. However, it doesn 't necessarily mean that we can 't get that. It’s totally possible.... [tags: Social media, Sociology, LinkedIn]
1798 words (5.1 pages)
- Introduction Founded in March of 2010, Pinterest is a thriving social media networking site which now boasts over 57 monthly active users (Bercovini). With a valuation of over $5 billion, Pinterest is the fourth largest social networking company in the United States, behind LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook. Users of Pinterest can “pin” their favorite images (personal ones, or ones found while browsing the web), onto “virtual bulletin boards” which they can share with relatives and friends (Bosker).... [tags: Social media, Marketing, Google]
1576 words (4.5 pages)
- Explore the role of Social media/networking in marketing Marketing is defined as ‘the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large’ (American Marketing Association July 2013). With the emergence of social media as an integral part of everyday life, marketing has also adapted to use this tool to gain their products wider recognition as they attempt to use this vast amount of information to their own benefit.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Advertising, Twitter]
2205 words (6.3 pages)
- According to Diamond 2008, social media marketing is marketing that concentrate on people and not products. The company can represent the product through a promotional tool if possible all that really matters is customer’s feedback. Marketers are scared about social media marketing because people provide and control the content posted, therefore negative word of mouth can be said about the brand which can spread worldwide in the twinkle of an eye. Social media does not only help companies and brands expand or create awareness it also influences consumers behavior in terms of gathering information, purchasing decision, opinions, attitude and brand evaluation.... [tags: Marketing, Social media, Social network service]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- MEMORANDUM To: Chris Shapiro, Career Center Director, Blissful State University From: Blissful State Ambassadors Date: November 10, 2014 Subject: Social Media and Career Services This memo outlines the way that job seekers can use YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to find employment opportunities and why Blissful State University should add training in these fields to the employment office. There are a variety of ways to find employment in today’s world. Social media is becoming more prominent as the world becomes more interconnected through technology.... [tags: Social media, Web 2.0, Employment, Facebook]
2401 words (6.9 pages)
- Today’s society revolves around social media and impacts each person in a different way. The occurrence of giving and receiving “likes” and the desire of today’s teens to increase views, shares, comments, and likes are not only helping improve someone’s profile, but also of the brands that they like. As companies observe the data collected, the social media marketers work together to carefully turn “likes” into profit for the brand. People have no idea what the value of liking something is. The more teens that utilize social media, the more money companies are likely to make.... [tags: Advertising, Social media, Sociology, Adolescence]
960 words (2.7 pages)