Gage Park is a small community who’s demographic is similar to a lot of communities within Chicago, but yet unique in its own way. The area has many small businesses along its streets including small restaurants that serve a variety of authentic Mexican food. We determined from speaking with community members that these establishments are usually family owned businesses which also mostly cater to the residents of the community. Most of the advertisements displayed in this neighborhood were in Spanish and English...
... middle of paper ...
...k, we desired to identify every resource available to people living in the Gage Park neighborhood. After searching Google Maps and other similar references, we found 11 additional resources classified as grocery stores/supermarkets. The majority of these are small corner stores that offer basic food items, but nonetheless, they still sell fresh produce and meats, which are essential for healthy diets.
In addition to grocery stores, we also researched other restaurants we may have missed during our windshield survey. We found many small authentic Mexican restaurants, a few pizza places, and a barbeque restaurant. Many of these are scattered along the two main streets running through Gage Park, 55th St, running east and west, and S. Kedzie Ave, running north and south. The majorities of these restaurants seem to be fast food establishments and can be increasing the
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The theatres in Chicago have a very vast and interesting history. Starting in the 1920’s, it has been around for a long time. Stephen Schwartz once said “I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them and we help them in return”(goodreads.com). Broadway can help teach people morales. Broadway is one of the most exciting parts of downtown Chicago. Broadway in Chicago is undoubtedly less recognized then what it should be due to its talent and national status.... [tags: Live Stage Musicals, Steve Traxler]
1374 words (3.9 pages)
- Service activities were not always my main priority. Before my freshman year of high school, I focused mainly on my athletics and my education. I participated in basketball and softball my freshman year. For these two sports I often times was asked to help work concession stands for volleyball and football games. Some of my fellow teammates did not like to help in the concession stands; however, I loved it. I liked being able to support and cheer on my fellow Marksmen while also volunteering to help my coach and school out.... [tags: Blood donation, Blood, High school, Donation]
1422 words (4.1 pages)
- Chicago When I first watched Chicago at the movie theater, I was not fully satisfied. I wanted more, so I went back to get some and watched it six more times with different friends and family members. Last summer during a visit to my native Mexico City, I had the opportunity to watch drag queens perform several numbers from the movie-musical. They did an amazing job, without surpassing the outstanding performances of the actors in the film. Last year, I visited NYC for the first time and indulged in the rows of the Ambassador theatre experiencing Chicago, the Broadway musical, and because I had seen the movie many times before, I knew all the songs and dances by heart.... [tags: essays research papers]
1659 words (4.7 pages)
- Richard Joseph Daley as Mayor of Chicago Richard Joseph Daley, the grandson of Irish immigrants, was born in the Bridgeport area of Chicago on May 15, 1902 less than a block from where he later lived as mayor. An only child born to first and second-generation Irish immigrants, Richard J Daley graduated from De La Salle Institute in 1919. As a member of the Hamburg Social and Athletic Club, a local social club/street gang, Daley began his political career with the help of former members Tommy Doyle and Joe McDonough.... [tags: Papers]
1395 words (4 pages)
- Crystal Lake, Illinois The city of Crystal Lake, Illinois is a suburb of Chicago and home to 40,388 residents. Located in southeastern McHenry County, Crystal Lake was named after the picturesque lake situated just over a mile away from downtown. In a recent survey conducted by WalletHub, the city of Crystal Lake was rated 10th best city among the 1,268 U.S. cities with populations between 25,000 and 100,000 residents. Addiction problems concern many residents of Crystal Lake, Illinois; top substances of abuse in the area include heroin, marijuana and crack cocaine.... [tags: Addiction, Drug addiction, Heroin, Alcoholism]
1734 words (5 pages)
- Firefighting Firefighting is a fulfilling career because you get to protect your community. “I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives” (http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/i-have-no-ambition-in-this-world-but-one-and-that/821652.html). I’m striving to become a successful firefighter.... [tags: dalmatians, trucks, chicago]
716 words (2 pages)
- Chicago was the center of development in the West. It paved the way for every other city in the West. The advancements made, which include the waterways, railways, and grain elevators, helped shape the future of the West, and whether or not the city would be successful. Although Chicago wasn 't necessarily the first or the best choice, it became the city that revolutionized the West. The city and the country appear to be two completely different things. Although this might be true, the growth of the city depends on the country and vice versus.... [tags: City, English-language films, Chicago]
2322 words (6.6 pages)
- Experts have said that the experiences that a child encounters in their surroundings throughout their childhood can either enhance or inhibit the unfolding of their inborn potential (12). Urban and rural communities showcase in many differences in a variety of categories. One of these areas is child welfare. Not only do urban children experience areas of life differently than those in rural communities, but they also receive resources adversely. However, there are actions that we, as a society, can take in order to ensure that all child have the opportunity to thrive.... [tags: City, Urban area, Population, Sociology]
1703 words (4.9 pages)
- County and City Living Where you choose to live alters your lifestyle and can even define who you are. This essay will specifically compare and contrast, having a country life and a city life. Both city and country living make excellent lives, but the lifestyle chosen can have a great impact on a person’s finances, serenity, and character. City and country living commonly have expenses, though country life has more options to avoid expenses by undertaking tasks yourself. There’s nothing wrong with dwelling in the city, but it can be expensive.... [tags: Personal life, Health, Lifestyle, City]
960 words (2.7 pages)
- Chicago is a great outstanding city. It’s not difficult where to find excellent food in Chicago. Chicago is really beautiful at night, when all the building lights are lit. There are really great tourist spots to visit, but this city faces problems every day. Chicago is a dangerous city to live in, ever since Al Capone rose into power with liquor and murder. Reasons why Chicago is dangerous is because gun violence, armed robbery, and drugs. Chicago has other problems, but are not relevant as the other reasons.... [tags: Robbery, Crime, Theft, Piracy]
748 words (2.1 pages)