“Cosmetic Surgery vs. Plastic Surgery.” American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. The American
Board of Cosmetic Surgery, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016.
While both cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery involve improving a patient’s
body, the overall principles and philosophies guiding the training, research, and goals for
a patient’s outcome differ. The procedures and techniques of cosmetic surgery are
entirely based on enhancing a patient’s appearance. Key goals may include improving
ascetic appeal, symmetry, and proportion. Cosmetic surgery is performed by doctors from
a variety of medical fields, including plastic surgeons. The scope of cosmetic surgery encompasses breast enhancement, facial contouring, facial rejuvenation, body contouring, and skin rejuvenation.
On the other hand, plastic surgery deals with reconstructive surgery. In fact, in 1999, the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons changed its name to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons in order to communicate that “plastic and reconstructive surgery are one and the same”. Because it is reconstructive in nature, plastic surgery corrects dysfunctional areas of the body. Although many plastic surgeons complete additional training to perform cosmetic surgery as well, the basis of the field is still mainly reconstructive plastic surgery. Examples of plastic surgeries include breast reconstruction, burn repair surgery, congenital defect repair, lower extremity reconstruction, hand surgery, and scar revision surgery.
Additionally, while some plastic surgery residencies contain cosmetic surgery as a portion of the surgeon’s training, often the training does not include every cosmetic procedure. Therefore, the titl...
... middle of paper ...
...leted a medical or osteopathic degree in the United States or Canada and chooses an integrated residency program, they will complete five to six years of Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, an accredited plastic surgery training. This includes no less than two years of plastic surgery training, with one of those years as chief or senior.
Finally, all states require plastic surgeons to be licensed, with a degree in either Medicine (M.D.) or Osteopathy (D.O.). A certified plastic surgeon can work privately, in a hospital or clinic, or in an academic setting. In addition, plastic surgeons can establish a practice in nearly sixty countries for people who have been in disasters. The median salary for this profession ranged from $243,132 to $510,141 in 2014, and the predicted job growth from 2012 to 2022 is 18%, creating a total increase of 123,300 jobs.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Plastic/cosmetic surgery is a vast area of practice that can be analyzed as a benefit to some individuals who desire to alter their appearance while others find this practice to be somewhat unnecessary. These procedures often times are a beneficial aid especially when many people live in a society where they are constantly judged and in many cases, a race against the clock not just men but for women. Plastic/cosmetic surgery carries many perks but with those perks can come great danger and overly-charged funds.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast implant, Surgery, Breast]
1724 words (4.9 pages)
- 5 Reasons Plastic or Cosmetic Surgery is Right for You You are generally happy with how you look and feel, your self-esteem is positive, and you have a healthy outlook on life. Yet, with a small change in your appearance you know that you could look and feel even better. If this sounds like the way you would describe yourself, then you are the perfect candidate for cosmetic or plastic surgery. Plastic and cosmetic surgery can take years off your appearance, make positive changes in your physique, and even help improve your overall feeling of wellness.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone has had their own personal stories of the times that they have been bullied; this could be anywhere from being bullied by their siblings to being bullied at school for things that they do or how they look. In school now, children from the ages of 5 all the way up until they are 18 or older are getting bullied for the ways that they look. Children all throughout school had dreamt of the day where they could just take their defected body part off and just switch it with a new “normal” body part.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Reconstructive surgery, Surgery]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- Between celebrities, other socialites, and everyday people cosmetic surgery has become increasingly popular over the years. Everyday people have used cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance, whether it is to look like someone else or to look prettier and skinnier without a goal of being a look alike millions of people get these surgeries every year. Everyday people and celebrities alike as they age are getting cosmetic surgery to look as if they have not aged at all and to appear younger then they looked before.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Breast implant]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- We see those girls walking, we see those celebrity that looks very perfect in every way we want them to be, we see those big breast in the bathing suit and we see those perfect shapes and appearance. Plastic and cosmetic surgery have become a “consumer good” and people are buying them mostly non-stop. The people that plan to get plastic and cosmetic surgeries are the one that should really think about it and also people that can’t even afford it. It’s because they don’t know what the outcomes are.... [tags: celebrity, surgeries, self-esteem]
2627 words (7.5 pages)
- Top 8 Reasons You are Ready for Cosmetic Surgery Cosmetic surgery might not make you look exactly like your favorite actor or singer, but it can bring out the very best you, enhancing and highlighting your strengths, making some adjustments to your trouble spots, and visibly shaving years off your appearance. There is not one single reason people choose to have plastic or cosmetic surgery, but there are some very good reasons that it might be the right option. Below are eight of the most common reasons that plastic surgery might be right for you.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Breast, Mastopexy]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- Plastic surgery is defined as the alteration, restoration, or reconstruction of the body by practitioners in the field. Although plastic surgery has many reconstructive procedures, society tends to focus on the cosmetic aspects of the field. The act of changing one’s “god given” appearance is looked upon with cold eyes by the general public and as an intern in a plastic surgery arts center, it is not uncommon to see women fidgeting in the lobby wondering if the doctor would be able to help them with their insecurities.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Hunter Reinhart Research Paper Writ 101 11.30.12 Title: Reconstructive & Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: a Pro or a Con. Introduction w/ thesis: Is it the bigger, perkier breasts, the taught tummy, the lifted butt, or the younger looking face that draws people to plastic surgery. Is it the cost, the pain, the perception of being “fake” because you got plastic surgery that pushes people away from wanting to get the surgery. Have you ever considered getting reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery. Are you for or against the surgeries.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- Plastic Surgery: An Annotated Bibliography “Cosmetic Surgery vs. Plastic Surgery.” American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016. While both cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery involve improving a patient’s body, the overall principles and philosophies guiding the training, research, and goals for a patient’s outcome differ. The procedures and techniques of cosmetic surgery are entirely based on enhancing a patient’s appearance. Key goals may include improving ascetic appeal, symmetry, and proportion.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1036 words (3 pages)
- What You Should Know about Cosmetic Surgery Cosmetic Surgery is a phenomenon that has increased over the past few years. Even though this epidemic has become very popular, there is so much to know about it before having it done. Most people who have cosmetic surgery do so to change their appearance by altering the parts of their bodies that make them unhappy. Being dissatisfied with one’s appearance sometimes brings down one’s self-esteem, and people feel as though cosmetic surgery can help them gain back the confidence they have lost.... [tags: Plastic Cosmetic Surgery]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Advertising Is A Powerful Influencer Of Public Opinion
- Talent Management Through Succession Planning
- Sony Corporation 's Mission : Marketing Strategy
- Characteristics Of A Servant Leader
- A Country Can Ensure Sound And Healthy Competitive Environment
- The Monopoly Market Structure Of Bangladesh Electricity Supply