Title: Reconstructive & Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: a Pro or a Con?
Introduction w/ thesis: Is it the bigger, perkier breasts, the taught tummy, the lifted butt, or the younger looking face that draws people to plastic surgery? Is it the cost, the pain, the perception of being “fake” because you got plastic surgery that pushes people away from wanting to get the surgery? Have you ever considered getting reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery? Are you for or against the surgeries? Plastic surgery should only be performed for medical reasons, such as a broken nose, embarrassing or unwanted scars from an accident, or a birth deformity, such as a cleft palate. People get plastic surgery because they want to be perfect in all aspects and improve their self-confidence.
What is Plastic surgery?: What is plastic surgery? According to the Merriam-Webster website, plastic surgery is, “a branch of surgery concerned with the repair, restoration, or improvement of lost, injured, defective, or misshapen parts of the body chiefly by transfer of tissue” (Para 2). This surgery usually consists of transferring tissues from other parts of the body to improve appearances, covering an unwanted scar, or filling an indentation. Many people who suffer from burns or are in car accidents and have severe scarring get plastic surgery to correct their imperfections. The Merriam-Webster website also states, “Reconstructive plastic surgery corrects severe functional impairments, fixes physical abnormalities, and compensates for tissue lost to trauma or surgery” (Para 3).
Types of Plastic Surgery: A large amount of people are not satisfied with the looks they are born with, which is why they get plastic su...
... middle of paper ...
...ked and is unable to travel through your nose to your lungs or out to the world. Plastic surgery is often the answer to cases where people have been in severe accidents and have major wounds. People are embarrassed having huge scars or just don’t like the constant reminder of something bad that happened in the past. In order to correct that a skin graft can be done to cover up most of the damaged area. Plastic surgery helps improve how old you look on the outside. A face lift or even Botox can help to tighten any sagging or loose and unwanted skin.
Plastic surgery is perceived as not being safe, but with the advanced technology we have in our society today, we are able to accomplish such surgeries with an ease of mind that you will be ok throughout the surgery and will heal in no time. Some surgeries have even been performed by robots that are operated by surgeons.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Title: Reconstructive & Cosmetic Plastic Surgery: a Pro or a Con. Introduction w/ thesis: Is it the bigger, perkier breasts, the taught tummy, the lifted butt, or the younger looking face that draws people to plastic surgery. Is it the cost, the pain, the perception of being “fake” because you got plastic surgery that pushes people away from wanting to get the surgery. Have you ever considered getting reconstructive or cosmetic plastic surgery. Are you for or against the surgeries. Plastic surgery should only be performed for medical reasons, such as a broken nose, embarrassing or unwanted scars from an accident, or a birth deformity, such as a cleft palate.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Believing that talent and intelligence will get you just as far if your ugly as it will if you were pretty is an idealistic thought for an idealistic world, however the fact of the matter is that talent takes a backseat to beauty under most circumstances. With the economy rising, cosmetic surgery is becoming more widely available, before it was the rich and the famous who had the ability to surgically enhance their features. However as it becomes much more culturally acceptable, and readily available, there have been many more problems concerning it.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- Pros and Cons of Cosmetic Surgery Cosmetic Surgery is a great discovery that has been around for many centuries. “The history of plastic surgery origins in the early 800 B.C. when surgeons in India restored noses to persons who had them taken off as a form of punishment.” (History of Cosmetic Surgery, 2008) Many people have used over the years cosmetic and reconstructive surgery to enhance their physical appearance weather it be for health problems associated with birth defect or problems that they have developed over the years or to even alter physical appearances for instance nose jobs and tummy tucks.... [tags: Plastic Surgery Essays]
1529 words (4.4 pages)
- Between celebrities, other socialites, and everyday people cosmetic surgery has become increasingly popular over the years. Everyday people have used cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance, whether it is to look like someone else or to look prettier and skinnier without a goal of being a look alike millions of people get these surgeries every year. Everyday people and celebrities alike as they age are getting cosmetic surgery to look as if they have not aged at all and to appear younger then they looked before.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Breast implant]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- Liposuction: The Bad and The Ugly Due to the risk involved, liposuction is not the answer to having a great body. Liposuction is one of the most popular forms of cosmetic surgery today. Those seeking the perfect body seldom understand the risks involved in this invasive surgery. One of the risks of liposuction is that fat cells can grow back in the area where the procedure took place. Another risk associated with this procedure is over-aggressive fat removal. Poor work performed by untrained doctors poses many problems in itself.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
1590 words (4.5 pages)
- Research Objectives I cannot emphasize enough the importance of research, research and more research while looking for a plastic or cosmetic surgeon. The information is out there you have to do the work. Doing the necessary homework is crucial to you finding a great surgeon and could mean life or death. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons website are one of the sources that can assist in guiding consumers through their search process for a medical professional. In today’s world of plastic and cosmetic surgery it is important that patients are educated on the pros and cons of these surgical procedures and for them to understand that this is real surgery and complications can occur.... [tags: Surgery, Plastic surgery, General surgery]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Everyone has had their own personal stories of the times that they have been bullied; this could be anywhere from being bullied by their siblings to being bullied at school for things that they do or how they look. In school now, children from the ages of 5 all the way up until they are 18 or older are getting bullied for the ways that they look. Children all throughout school had dreamt of the day where they could just take their defected body part off and just switch it with a new “normal” body part.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Reconstructive surgery, Surgery]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- Plastic surgery is defined as the alteration, restoration, or reconstruction of the body by practitioners in the field. Although plastic surgery has many reconstructive procedures, society tends to focus on the cosmetic aspects of the field. The act of changing one’s “god given” appearance is looked upon with cold eyes by the general public and as an intern in a plastic surgery arts center, it is not uncommon to see women fidgeting in the lobby wondering if the doctor would be able to help them with their insecurities.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Plastic/cosmetic surgery is a vast area of practice that can be analyzed as a benefit to some individuals who desire to alter their appearance while others find this practice to be somewhat unnecessary. These procedures often times are a beneficial aid especially when many people live in a society where they are constantly judged and in many cases, a race against the clock not just men but for women. Plastic/cosmetic surgery carries many perks but with those perks can come great danger and overly-charged funds.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Breast implant, Surgery, Breast]
1724 words (4.9 pages)
- Plastic Surgery: An Annotated Bibliography “Cosmetic Surgery vs. Plastic Surgery.” American Board of Cosmetic Surgery. The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, 2016. Web. 11 Feb. 2016. While both cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery involve improving a patient’s body, the overall principles and philosophies guiding the training, research, and goals for a patient’s outcome differ. The procedures and techniques of cosmetic surgery are entirely based on enhancing a patient’s appearance. Key goals may include improving ascetic appeal, symmetry, and proportion.... [tags: Plastic surgery, Surgery, Reconstructive surgery]
1036 words (3 pages)