It is because we allow smaller fashion houses to thrive on the basis of free enterprise and competition that fashion has not become an overpriced, elitist representation of modern civilization that can only be afforded by a few. That is the exact description of what happens to the fashion industry of a country such as France, once the copyrighting of fashion designs become legal. What is that you say? America is the land of free enterprise and equal opportunity for all? You may have to rethink that stand as it applies to our world of fashion in the near future. That is because the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) found a champion for the cause they are advocating through Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) and his Innovative Design Protection and Piracy Prevention Act (IDPPA).
Imagine that, a Democrat senator from the fashion capital of our country is trying to throttle our very own fashion industry on the say so of a small group of fashion designers who, led by Diane von Furstenberg, do not understand nor realize that the law they are trying to pass in these modern times of fast changing business ideas and evolving trends was already thrown out ...
... middle of paper ...
..., Mar. 2010). Behind the Scenes of Oscar Fashion. Freakonomics. Retrieved from http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/03/03/behind-the-scenes-of-oscar-fashion/
Raustiala, Kal & Springman, Chris. (2010, Mar. 12). Should Fashion be Protected by Copyright Laws? A Guest Post. Freakonomics. Retrieved from http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/03/12/should-fashion-be-protected-by- copyright-laws-a-guest-post/
Raustiala, Kal & Springman, Chris. (2010, Aug. 10). Copyrighting Fashion: Who Gains?. Freakonomics. Retrieved from http://www.freakonomics.com/2010/08/30/copyrighting-fashion-who-gains/
Steffen, Krystina, (2011, Mar. 23). Fashion Copyright Legislation Proposed by Senator Schumer May Protect Designers. Good Practice Writer. Retrieved from http://www.seolawfirm.com/2011/03/fashion-copyright-legislation-proposed-by- senator-schumer-may-protect-designers/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Protection of Original Design covers designs including which are protected or not, revisions, adaptations, and rearrangements. Some of the other parts that it also describes are the protection, who and how the notice is given, exclusive, rights, registrations, acknowledgments fees, regulations, ownership and transfer, injections, false marking, false representation, and no retroactive effect. When most people in the United States of America think of copyright right laws the focus is generally on current trends or events, however as it is with most laws the Protection of Original Designs has a history that predates modern day computers and cyber crimes.... [tags: fashion design, copyrights]
857 words (2.4 pages)
- My exposure to exercise physiology is far from conventional. Rather than engaging it as an academic hobbyist, I was drawn to it out of necessity and utility in the U.S. Army. Rather than following anachronistic military physical training, I took it upon myself to learn more about exercise science. What started as tool for my job soon turned into my passion. I understood how exercise physiology was more than a foray into the underpinnings of strength and conditioning, but something that had a meaningful purpose in a very tangible way.... [tags: Physical exercise, Obesity, Exercise physiology]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- The Importance of Exercise It is extremely crucial of our body to get exercise. Exercise helps people lose weight and maintain a fit body. It also helps reduce stress. When we are relieved of that stress, that can help us in many other ways as well such as getting the right amount of sleep, our mood, stamina, and not stress eating. Metabolism is another boosted benefit that will increase when regularly exercising. Since more calories are burned when exercising, people will end up consuming more in order to maintain enough replenished energy.... [tags: Obesity, Exercise, Physical exercise, Weight loss]
1053 words (3 pages)
- The first step in regenerating the historic fabric, must be recognizing the existence values and desire to protect them. Restoration process begins with cognition of opportunities and advantages of each neighborhood, and understanding of different aspect of neighborhood distressed. These days one of the problems face to regenerating historic fabrics is juxtaposition of valuable buildings with abandoned and deteriorated buildings and areas that causes damage to this valuable buildings. The abandoned areas are a threat to revive the historical fabrics, but with clever arrangements this treat can be converted to be an opportunities for brown developing.... [tags: Design]
1424 words (4.1 pages)
- People achieve many physical and mental health benefits from exercise, but 79 percent of adults in the US don’t exercise regularly (Hellmich). Many people believe any form of physical activity can be considered an exercise. Exercise is broken into four different groups: aerobic exercise, anaerobic exercise, balance exercise and flexibility exercise (4 Types). Aerobic exercise is an activity that improves endurance. Some examples of aerobic exercise include walking, running, and playing sports. Anaerobic exercise such as weight lifting helps build muscle and power.... [tags: Obesity, Physical exercise, Cancer, Weight loss]
1392 words (4 pages)
- the knowledge about actions that are preventing you from achieving your desired state. Knowing those bad actions (or bad choices) you have been taking as well as still are taking, will arm you with the right knowledge about the dreadful consequences such bad choices entail. Being aware of each choice you make, especially the bad, negative choices, will motivate you to make good, positive choices in place of the bad, negative ones you have been making so far. So, what you need to do starting right NOW is- track every aspect of your eating (aka nutritional) habits plus your exercising (aka strength/endurance training) habits.... [tags: Exercise, Physical exercise, Obesity]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- Interior design is one of the most important professions. When thinking of design and architecture industry, it is necessary to keep in mind that the professionals emphasis on matters of everyday life when commencing a project. Important sectors of interior design consist of: residential, commercial, hospitality, healthcare, education and corporate designs. Thus, the field deals with numerous factors and affects almost everyone in some way. Design is goal-oriented– it strives to achieve a certain purpose.... [tags: Design, Designer, Interior design]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- Protect (v): to guard or shield from attack or injury. In many pieces of literature, and in many life tales, the concept of protection is a common value. In the ancient Greek myth of Demeter and Persephone, Demeter tries to protect her daughter, Persephone, when she is kidnapped by Hades. In the Jewish story of the escape from Egyptian slavery, God sent many plagues to protect his people from the torture of the king. However, people haven’t stopped protecting one another in modern day. In my own life, my sister rushed to my protection when I fell in a small river at the age of two.... [tags: Protection]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Exercise is one of the important parts of human life. Often people begin an exercise program because they want to lose weight or improve their health. While these are important benefits, individuals should focus on participating in the exercise program that they will enjoy. Not only will this increase willingness to participate, but it’s more likely they will keep exercising for a longer time period. While going to the gym and having a personal trainer is one way to encourage people to begin an exercise program, it is not the only way.... [tags: Exercise, Physical exercise, Muscle, Stretching]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- Exercise Warm-Up The warm up I will be doing will consist of: * Easy 5-minute jog to loosen my muscles. * Muscle stretches hold each for 15 seconds and swap. 3-5 minutes of exercising gently gets the blood circulating. 1. Calf * Calf stretchStep one foot a large step in front of the other * Feet parallel, pointing forward * Back heel flat on the ground * Hands on the front bend knee * Back straight and head slightly down * FEEL the stretch in the calf of the back leg.... [tags: Physical Exercise Fitness Health]
1860 words (5.3 pages)