water turbine is used to convert energy from one form to another. When water falls on buckets it helps to rotate the turbine.When water falls it has kinetic energy so kinetic energy is converted into potential energy to run turbine. Turbine is connected with generator.Energy produced by the turbine is mechanical,so generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.
There are two types of turbines
In this type of turbine the velocity of water has been changed.Impulse turbine obey the Newtons second law “to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”.We convert potential energy into kinetic energy before striking on the turbine.Impulse turbine is used for high altitudes. Height should be above 300 meter before striking on the turbines blades.
In this turbine pressure of water changes motion of blades and turbines in forward direction.When water hits blades and rotate the turbine then water loose its power.Due to rotation of turbines power is generated with generator.Forbetter performance turbine should be dipped into water. When water moves through its wings mechanical energy is generated.Reaction turbine is also used for low and medium heads.In low head water falls from 30 meter,while in medium heads it falls from 300 meter.
Types of impulse and reaction turbines discussed below.impulse turbine types are given below.
Impulse turbines type are given below
Cross Flow Turbine
... middle of paper ...
...e turbine selection depends on different things; one of the most important thing is the pressure of water. The second one is to choose the type of turbine according to the available pressure, which of them (impulse or reaction turbine) to select and which of them to reject that take maximum benefit and better performance.
Some necessary calculations are given below
D(density)=1090 g/1000ml=1.09 g/ml
Power in stream
Thewater in stream have some power. Which can be calculated by this formula.
P is power measured in watts
ῃ isefficency of turbine
p is water density in kg/m^3
g is acceleration due to gravity
h is head in meter
we can calculate power of Stream
p=0.60*1090 kg/m^3*9.81 m/s^2*0.012m^3/s*1.524 m
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In this modern era man search for clean energy is a very sought after necessity. Current technologies include solar farms, damns, and windmills which are all sheep sources of energy but have low output yields. The need now is to find viable methods to produce more energy using the fundamental energies of wind, water and solar power and make it cheap. Steps have been made to better harness the power of water using wave and current turbines. Other methods have used the sun in focusing its rays to produce steam energy.... [tags: wind, water and solar power]
605 words (1.7 pages)
- Converting Wind into Energy Wind is created from the earth's warm air rising and creating a vacuum that causes cooler air to replace it. This flow is constantly disturbed by the rotation of the earth and local atmospheric conditions. This rotating cycle results in what we call wind. When harnessed, using sails, mills, and modern wind turbines, wind can serve us a powerful and renewable energy source that may soon become very important to our modern lifestyles. Wind can be converted into mechanical energy which people have done for centuries using the windmill.... [tags: Papers]
460 words (1.3 pages)
- Energy can be put into two broad categories Renewable energy and none renewable energy. Renewable energy sources can be reused continually as they are abundantly found in nature. All of them are non-polluting but devices used to collect the energy may impact the environment adversely. They are free but producing storage equipment or converting them into another form of energy may be costly. The examples of using renewable energy are The Solar Panel which is an assembly of solar cells. The solar cells convert solar energy into electrical energy.... [tags: wind turbine, coal]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Waste Water to Energy Introduction The waste produced from waste water treatment facilities can be used as an energy generation source instead of throwing it in landfills sites. According to the Energy Recovery Council, the US has about 87 Waste to Energy (WTE) plants capable of producing 2,700 MW of clean electricity; As a result they produce 17 billion Kwh of electricity per year which is enough to power 2 million American homes. There are different technologies used to convert the waste to energy such as combustion, gasification, anaerobic digestion, pyrolysis of waste, and thermal depolymerization.... [tags: treatment facilities to energy generation source]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- This report breaks down and compares key aspects of three separate ocean wave power generators: permanent-magnet tubular linear generators, hybrid air-wave turbine generators and wave tunnel generators. Each individual generator type is to be described and analyzed on topics such as a general background on design and functionality, applicable locations, costs and efficiency using research and diagrams to support explanations where necessary. Though these forms of power generation are not effective enough to serve as a substitute for fossil fuels entirely, they are capable of reducing human reliance on strictly fossil fuels and are thus a worthy subject to invest research into.... [tags: Ocean Wave Power, Generators]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- Abstract Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft and one of the most philanthropic men in history giving over 28 billion dollars to charity so far, states his number one wish for the world wouldn't be to rid the world of aids, vaccinate kids around the world, or feed every starving children; instead, it would be to invent and utilize a cheaper emission-free source of energy. My research aims to cut through the vast amounts of wind turbine designs and analyze the two most promising types. The first type is Small Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWTs), roughly 1.5 meters by 1 meter and generating roughly 500 watts.... [tags: Wind Turbine Essays]
1389 words (4 pages)
- η_max=1/2 φ_n^2 (1-φ_b cosβ_2) which is the range of 0.95 provided that optimal nozzle efficiency is used. Pelton turbines can reach efficiencies as high as 88-91% when well designed, operating at 60-80% of full design flow. When working with turbines, it is convenient to define how to calculate the speed of the jet c_1 and the speed of the turbine runner u at pitch circle diameter PCD: c_1=Q/a_jet =4Q/(πd_jet^2 ) u=ω PCD/2 The electrical energy output capacity of a turbine directly depends on its design and geometry.... [tags: Electrical generator, Electricity, Armature]
1034 words (3 pages)
- 1.Background and Research: 1.1.History of wind energy and wind turbine Fig1.1 History of Wind Turbines During the last century, due to the rapid development of the power system, the use of wind energy experienced several stages. Firstly, the period of infancy, in the 1930s and 1940s, hundreds of thousands of electricity producing wind turbines were built in the U.S. These wind turbines provided electricity to farms beyond the reach of power lines and were typically used to charge storage batteries, operate radio receivers and power a light bulb or two .... [tags: Wind power, Wind turbine, Renewable energy]
2847 words (8.1 pages)
- The water fog injection (WFI) concept has been considered as early as 1950, when Wilcox and Trout  suggested that the compressor work and discharged temperature could be reduced by injecting a liquid into the gas to be compressed, thus increase the gas turbine net power output. The study indicated that the cooling effectiveness of evaporative cooling system depends on the ambient temperature and relative humidity. White et al.  showed that the output power of gas turbine theoretically increases up to 4.9 % by using a direct spray evaporative cooling at the design conditions of 32.2 °C and 60 % relative humidity.... [tags: Gas turbine, Turbine, Gas compressor]
1004 words (2.9 pages)
- Converting Energy 1 The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy can neither be destroyed or created, only transferred or transformed. That being said, each form of energy has the ability to be converted into another form of energy. And since there are several forms of energy, that makes many different conversions achievable. Almost all technological gadgets convert one energy form into a new one. The vast number of devices that can convert energy into other states of energy are termed transducers.... [tags: Energy]
817 words (2.3 pages)