October 20, 2015
Contemporary: Pandora 's Box
The beginning of the story of Pandora is an interesting one. It begins with the Titan Prometheus and his brother Epimetheus. The Titan Prometheus and his brother Epimetheus were spared imprisonment in Tartarus because they had kept their neutrality in the war between the Olympians and the Titans. According to the legend, Prometheus shaped man out of mud, and Athena breathed life into the clay figure. Once man was created, however, Prometheus allowed his brother, Epimetheus, to distribute various qualities to the animals and man. So Epimetheus began by giving the best traits to the animals. Traits like swiftness, courage, cunning, stealth, et cetera, but he wound up with nothing to give to man. So Prometheus took the matter into his own hands and gave man an upright posture like the gods. And this gift enabled him to survive.
Prometheus had little love for the Olympians, who had banished his fellow Titans to the depths of Tartarus. His primary affection was for man. Now mankind had to make animal sacrifices to the gods, but a certain portion of the animal was to be given to the gods and a certain portion to man. Zeus had to decide. So Prometheus made two piles. He wrapped the bones in juicy fat and he hid the meat under the ugly hide. Zeus chose the bones wrapped in fat, much to his anger. In retaliation Zeus deprived man of fire, but Prometheus was not to be stopped. He went up to heaven and lighted his torch at the sun and carried it back to earth. Zeus was livid and filled with rage when he saw that man had fire. He ordered that Hephaestus create a mortal of stunning beauty, and when Hephaestus had done so the gods gave this new creat...
... middle of paper ...
In defiance, Prometheus would not tell the secret. Zeus had Prometheus chained to a rock, and every day he sent an eagle to peck out the Titan 's liver, which grew back again every night. This agony was drawn out for ages. There were two conditions on which he could be released from the rock: first, that an immortal must suffer death for Prometheus, and, second, that a mortal must slay the eagle and unchain him, and in time the Centaur Chiron did agree to die for him, while Heracles killed the eagle and unbound him.
Aeschylus. Translated by Smyth, Herbert Weir. Loeb Classical Library Volumes 145 & 146.
Cambridge, MA. Harvard Universrity Press. 1926.
The Theogony of Hesiod. Translated by Hugh G. Evelyn-White. 1914
Malangoni, Mark A. "There is Hope in Pandora 's Box." The American Journal of Surgery 208.4
(2014): 632-3. ProQuest. 21 Oct. 2015.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The myth of Pandora’s Box has always been one that has caught my attention. According to The Free Dictionary by Farlex, Pandora’s Box is defined as “a source of extensive but unforeseen troubles or problems,” (Pandora’s+box, Farlex). To me, it is very fascinating to think that one person, Pandora, can be responsible for majority of the evils in the world. Also the controversy between hope being a good thing or a bad thing catches my attention. These are some of the main reasons that I chose this myth to interpret.... [tags: evils, zeus, adam, eve]
1207 words (3.4 pages)
- Cloning: Opening a Pandora's Box What Dolly is to biology can be likened to what nuclear bomb is to physics. And just like the latter, Dolly brings with it a host of controversies. Dolly redefined nature the same way Fat Man and Little Boy redefined warfare in 1945. The impact to the human civilisation is what makes both Dolly and nuclear physics so great, and controversial. It needs not take long for everyone to realise the Pandora's box that Dolly has pried open, even for someone who knows nothing about biology like myself.... [tags: Genetic Engineering Essays]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- “Genetically modified foods are a "Pandora's box" of known and unknown risks to humans and the environment. They have been forced onto the American public by multinational biotech and agribusiness corporations without adequate oversight and regulation by the United States government (Driscoll, SallyMorley, David C).”Genetically Modified Food is food which has been chemically altered by scientists during the production process to give the food more nutrients, better appearance, and a longer shelf-life (Rich, Alex K.Warhol, Tom).... [tags: multinational biotech, harming food]
536 words (1.5 pages)
Analysis of the Consequences of the Disobedience to the Great God/Gods in Paradise Lost and “Pandora’s box”
- In John Milton’s Paradise Lost, Milton narrates the story of Adam and Eve, but on a deeper level, figuring out the motives, feelings, and emotions of each character while also introducing the story of Satan/Lucifer and all of his complexities. At the same time Milton gives the story a twist when he relates how sin and death is brought into the human world. Greek Mythology gives a similar anecdote which compares with John Milton’s story very much: the story of Pandora and Epimetheus. “Pandora’s Box” also relates the story of how evil sprits came upon the world thorough Pandora’s disobedience.... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
2492 words (7.1 pages)
- In the story of Adam and Eve, the book of Genesis in the Bible states that Eve was the first woman and was created by God to be a partner for Adam. Eve was formed from Adam’s rib. Both Eve and Adam were created in God's image and God put Eve and Adam in a haven called the Garden of Eden. In this vast garden was the tree of the knowledge; a tree filled with all things good and evil. God tells them to eat from anywhere but the tree of knowledge. However, Eve was soon tempted by Satan, disguised as a snake, to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge.... [tags: evil, temptation, curiousity]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- According to Greek mythology, the griefs of life came into existence as a result of the introduction of a woman into a purely man inhabited world. The gods were said to have only created men, until Zeus became angry with mankind and devised the most horrible punishment he could conceive, creating Woman. Zeus instructed the smith of the gods, Hephaestus, to create her from the materials of earth and make her irresistibly beautiful. Each of the Greek gods gave her a gift of skill, and aptly named her Pandora, meaning "all gifted." The messenger god, Hermes, with his winged sandals, took Zeus' ghastly creation down to earth, and with her a box given to her by the gods with instructions that it... [tags: Sociology]
1854 words (5.3 pages)
- Contemporary Portraits Art is something that is a part of my everyday life, and each artist that I know has their own story and something unique about them. I am a weird person, and I have loads of things going on in my life, which is hard for me to put in words, which is why I tend to make art about how I feel, or my escape of the situation. For my AP portfolio concentration section I plan to create six contemporary portraits. Contemporary art is art that is prevalent, things that are popular now.... [tags: Art, Arts, Self-portrait, Contemporary art]
1416 words (4 pages)
- Religion is a very difficult topic to approach. To discuss religion, is to walk through a mine field. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs. In contemporary America, it is popular now turn from established religions or to have no religion at all. It is not difficult to believe how science and technology played a major role in contemporary religion in America by making our society secular. As our ability to attain knowledge through technology broadens, it allows people to analyze their own religion and interpret it in their own way.... [tags: contemporary religion, contemporary, religion, Ame]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- Contemporary Society Name: Institution: Contemporary Society Social and political scientists have associated contemporary society with a myriad of characteristics which include rapid technological advancements, greater human interactions, promotion of gender equality, and respect for human rights (Halcli & Browning, 2000, p. 226). However, many obstacles have stood on the way to achieving a number of important social issues such as ensuring proper gender equity in various government and private institutions.... [tags: Australian Contemporary Society]
2029 words (5.8 pages)
- Proposal for Pandora Tomorrow Dear MGM Studios I have chosen to make the best selling Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell books/games into my film project, in which I as the director will faithfully recreate the books characters and likenesses. The reasons why I have chosen the Tom Clancy Splinter Cell brand out of many others are because of their realistic intrigue and the books hardcore approach to modern day warfare. The story begins when it is the year 2004 and the CIA has lost contact with two of their operatives monitoring unusual activity in the former Soviet Republic of Georgia.... [tags: Papers]
2123 words (6.1 pages)