On June 26, 2015 Gay marriage was legalized, marking a monumental and historic moment in history. Nowadays you see and hear through all different forms of media about being gay lesbian bi-sexual and/or transgender. A cultural shift is occurring in society today bringing the LGBT conversation to the forefront in media. In the political arena, LGBT equality issues are continuously in debate. In pop culture, there are now more positive representations of LGBTs as demonstrated by two popular TV shows ‘Glee’ and ‘Modern Family.’ Being homosexual and expressing your sexuality is very predominated in today 's society. Given that being gay or lesbian is now normalized many companies are trying to capitalize on it. Therefore, I believe there is a link between the consuming habits of the LGBT community due to more companies trying to advertise to them through advertisements via different platforms of media.
Explanation on the shift of the gay market. Each year companies spend millions of dollars trying to advertise their product to consumers especially now to their homosexual customers. Companies have now set up divisions within the companies with it sole purpose is to focus on LGBT marketing. LGBT marketing also known as “Gay marketing” or “gay and lesbian marketing” refers to advertising campaigns designed to appeal to gay male and/or lesbian consumers” The term gay market can be explained as advertising aimed at more directly gay male and lesbian females. The gay market has been part of a major shift of the entertainment and advertising industry especially with the last 30 years. Advertising to LGBT people...
... middle of paper ...
... business did not only decrease by those in the LGBT community, but by supporters of this cultural shift. In the event that yes, as time goes on the need to consume increase, however, depending of how the product is advertised is the leading factor on if the product gets brought or not. Those who need how to sale their product and know who and when top sale it to are the companies benefiting from the most profit growth. So when it comes down to it, the driving force is the advertisement.
Overall, the idea behind gay marketing is to market into those who companies may not normally think of when they want to advertise a product. But with time, minor and major companies saw an opportunity to increase business and brand loyalty. The fact that these companies spend time and money to create company divisions whose sole purpose is to focus on advertising to homosexuals.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Community is a broad term, but it would be best described as a “feeling of companionship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.” The LGBT Community is the joining of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their supporters, with the purpose of celebrating individuality, sexuality, and diversity. In addition, the LGBT community actively fights for equal rights and calls for an end to sexual-orientation based discrimination. The LGBT Community is made up of people from all races, socio-economic, religious and non-religious, and age backgrounds.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Bisexuality, Gay]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- LGBT is the acronym Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender. In recent years, it has been extended to LGBTQ+, including the term “Queer” and the “+” indicating that there are various sexualities and gender types that people identify themselves as. However, the issue that will be covered pertains more towards those that are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender because they tend to be more open about their identity. One of the many issues that the LGBT youth face in today’s society is oppression in schools, especially in middle and high schools.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1366 words (3.9 pages)
- We’re Human Too “Approximately 6.7 percent of the U.S. adult population identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT)” (Five LGBT Facts You Should Know). LGBT, also known as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender are the four main things that fall under the sexual orientation category, this also includes heterosexuality (straight). Women who find other woman attractive are called lesbians, this is also known as homosexual woman. Homosexual men (Gay) are men who find other men attractive.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, LGBT]
1042 words (3 pages)
- In the 21st century, Canada is in the forefront of LGBT (Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) rights in the world. Struggles over the last twenty years centred on equality rights such as same sex marriage and homosexual practices have instilled new understandings of policy change and drive for improvements in social institutions of legal recognition and protection of LGBT citizens. In Toronto specifically, LGBT zones have become increasingly visible and popular with the success of civil right movements advocating equality, prohibition of discrimination, and rights to operating LGBT commercial spaces.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Gay, Bisexuality]
1606 words (4.6 pages)
- Is the right to refuse service to LGBT individuals an actual case of violating a person 's religious rights or is it really a case of blatant discrimination. This may seem like a complicated question that has many unable to answer, but in reality, it is actually quite simple. The refusal of service to LGBT individuals is not, nor has it ever been a case of religious rights but a simple one of homophobic discrimination. There are those who would argue that being “forced” to serve those who go against their religious values and/or morals is illegal and must be stopped.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage]
2260 words (6.5 pages)
- Transgender Discrimination in America Living in America, discrimination is something that has always been present in the American culture. Discrimination can come in many forms, and effects many associated with it. Although many communities have been discriminated against, the LGBT community is one who has experienced some of the harshest hatred in America. Amongst the LGBT community, members who are transgendered often get the most back lash for expressing their sexuality. Discrimination is something the transgendered community knows all too well.... [tags: Transgender, Gender, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- The mental health of individuals in the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) community is something that is a serious problem. For most of the history of the United States and many different parts of the world LGBT people faced much persecution and in some cases even death. This constant fear of discovery and the pressure that one feels on oneself when “in the closet” can lead to major mental distress. Research has shown that people who identify as LGBT are twice as likely to develop lifetime mood and anxiety disorders (Bostwick 468).... [tags: discrimination, borderline personality]
3253 words (9.3 pages)
- When it comes to the issue of social perception of LGBT, things in China can be genuinely weird sometimes. Two boys live steamed video games they play together on bilibili, a Chinese video famous among young people that is similar to YouTube, found annoyingly that most of their audience in the chat room made up the fact that they were a gay couple, and cheered whenever they showed a little sign of intimacy. However, at the same time, a young girl who has wined a little fame by sharing her illustration on Weibo, a Chinese microblogging platform that looks like Twitter, after a long time of considering, finally decided to come out on the social media website, but only got thousands of maliciou... [tags: LGBT, Homosexuality, Gay, Bisexuality]
1721 words (4.9 pages)
- LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender. What does that mean though. A lesbian is a woman who is attracted or in a relationship with another woman. Gay means a male who is attracted to or involved with another man. A bisexual is a person who is attracted to both male and female counterparts. While transgender is defined as an individual “whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth.” (Rainbow Welcome Initiative, 2016) There are also some other letters, such as Q (Questioning or queer) and I (intersex), that are thrown in at times, but LGBT is the most common form.... [tags: Homosexuality, LGBT, Sexual orientation]
1652 words (4.7 pages)
- The volume and voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual and Transgender (LGBT) population is increasing. Similarly, so is the outcry from their opponents. Not surprising, is that the crux of the debate is fueled by a preponderance of religious stalwarts. Historically, the church has been the fulcrum of many socio-theological debates and lead the populous in challenging ideologues that conflicted with their perception and interpretation of the tenets of Holy Scripture. Of note, this dogma, pervasive through history, led to the crucifixion of Christ, the persecution of early church fathers, the religious inquisitions, the Salem Witch Trials, and the justification of the American institution of slavery... [tags: LGBT, Sexual orientation, Homosexuality]
2006 words (5.7 pages)