Bored piles construction is done using the suitable rotary drills depending on the diameter, depth, condition of the soil and construction method. Usually bore-holes are stabilized with a temporary or permanent casing. The common material used for the casing is steel and it is also normal called as steel casing. The length of the steel casing is also determined from the soil conditions that are discovered at the actual site.
The location of the bored piles must be set out and marked by the subcontractor’s surveyor according to the approved setting out drawings given by the Consultant. The surveying details for each location should include the reduced levels and coordinates. The place that is surveyed and marked as the pile position shall not be disturbed prior to the commencement of boring works.
All the associated technical information such as presence of services, pile coordinates, platform and cut-off levels, validity of drawings etc need to be verified by the client's representative to begin the operations. If needed, after setting up the pile location by the surveyor, a temporary casing will be placed according to the ground conditions. The vertical accuracy of the casing will be checked while the installation process is done. Rotary Kelly bar and the auger or bucket method are used to carry out excavation of the soil inside the casing or bored holes. Once the drilling process begins, the auger or drilling bucket is then used to drill into the ground until the required depth or till it hits a hard rock which is capable of load bearing.
The point of when encountering a hard rock while boring as it is defined in the contract specification, for example, once the auger or drilling...
... middle of paper ...
...be concreted using the “tremie’ method. The type of concrete used will be a self-compacting mixed concrete and it will be discharged by a tremie pipe, which is then lowered uniformly aligned to the middle while descending until the bottom of the bored hole followed by filling of concrete. The level of concrete in the borehole was recorded after each truck discharged and the plotting of the graph will be against theoretical. The concrete should be continuously embedded in one length to make sure that the discharge of concrete is level of the impurities, which may be seen at the top part of the rising head of the concrete. The testing of all the piling work should be done by following the Engineer’s or Engineers Representative’s instructions. Completed piles shall be temporarily fortified and to be backfilled to ground level with a suitable material the following day.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- DEEP FOUNDATION Deep-foundation elements comprise piles and piers and are like slender columns buried in the ground. They are prevented from buckling because they are confines by the soil. Piles and piers transfer the load either to bedrock or to soil of high bearing capacity while passing through unsuitable soil. As previously stated, deep foundation are used where shallow foundation cannot be used because the topsoil is expansive or has a low bearing capacity or where the frost line is deep. They are also used in buildings that house items or instrumentation sensitive to settlement of shallow foundations.... [tags: civil engineering]
612 words (1.7 pages)
- For the past several years the use of energy produced from biomass has been steadily increasing. This is in part from the increasing desire to recycle what is available and the spreading knowledge of bioenergy. Bioenergy is created from organic waste such at animal manure, wood waste and some construction waste known as biomass. If considering all the possible fuels for bioenergy the most common would be wood waste and debris, which is produced in large quantities from many different causes. Such as construction, demolition, logging, mills and some lumber merchants.... [tags: biomass, alternative fuels]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- ... There are no secrets building code violations for commercial or public structure. They can cost the builder time and money. Be ready to hear the truth that may shift the vision and construction design to keep the build timelines on schedule. Although NYC is noted for being a city that doesn’t sleep, it’s not necessarily true in some parts of the city where noise requirements are strictly enforced for each construction site. Building Blocks NYC has a long history below its city and new construction sites have unearthed some unusual items.... [tags: Construction, Building, Building code, Architect]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- ABSTRACT “SIMULATION OF CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITES USING PROCESS SIMULATION SOFTWARE FOR EFFICIENCY IN COST, DURATION AND PRODUCTIVITY” A construction project involves numerous complex construction activities, which are influenced by uncertainties. A considerable number of activities cannot be experimented before the actual project because they would cost a noteworthy amount of time and money. These construction activities can be analyzed using simulation software packages. There are various simulation software packages available in the market.... [tags: Construction]
4329 words (12.4 pages)
- The objective of this report is to present and discuss the management of field construction projects. These projects involve a great deal of time and expense, so close control and management is paramount if they are to be completed within the established time and cost limitations. The term construction management is applied to the provision of professional management services to the owner of a construction project with the objective of achieving high quality with low costs. A specialist project manager organises, schedules, and controls the field work and is responsible for getting the project completed within the time and cost limitations.... [tags: Construction Management]
1864 words (5.3 pages)
- The amazing technology that was used in the construction of Palm Islands in Dubai. In construction, technology may be used as means to perfect, accelerate the time of construction and perform the seemingly impossible. Palm Islands was a complex project in the sense that only natural materials were used and the shape was somewhat peculiar. This land reclamation project increased Dubai’s shoreline by 75km where 94 million cubic meters of sand and 5.5 million cubic meters of stone were used to create the palm shaped island on which luxury villas and hotels were to be later built, C.Gibling (2013, pg 4).... [tags: technology, construction]
1490 words (4.3 pages)
- Construction industry has long been criticized for its poor performance with many project failing and not meeting the client expectation. After major reports like Sir John Egan landmarks ‘Rethinking Construction’ report (Egan, 1998), major studies are carried out in different procurement routes, management system and technique and construction method. But beyond these, it has been growing interest for demand of studies to be conducted on the ‘softer’ factors such organizational culture. In the past 20 years there has been a growing research interest into this ‘soft’ area which is critical to the management of construction projects.... [tags: Construction]
645 words (1.8 pages)
- In the British construction industry, the term ‘procurement’ show a series of activities and processes undertaken by the developer or client to secure the construction or refurbishment of a building. The Government Procurement Service define procurement as the ‘whole process of acquisition from the third parties and covers goods, services and construction projects. This process spans the whole life cycle from initial concept and definition of business needs through to the end of the useful life of an asset or end of a service contract.’ ( Arun District Council, 2011) There are three main types of procurement methods that are commonly used in the British construction industry which are tra... [tags: Construction, Project management, Architect]
1719 words (4.9 pages)
- ... At this point, I directed my education endeavors to Jackson State University’s management program. Upon completion I continued establishing a personable business network through continued education and construction conferences. My first role as a Manager was employment opportunity with the Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission were I meet Mr. Danny Elijah Deputy - Director whom I consider a chartered manager with GSFIC. During my tenure at Georgia State Financing & Investment Commission, I managed administrative project budgets, fiscal controls, reviewed contracts, cost estimating and value engineering, as appropriated.... [tags: Project management, Construction, Management]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- In the construction domain, the semantic web has been used in the field of construction education, supply chain, project and construction management, material storage, project design, architecture and graphic designs, etc. In the field of construction education, repositories have been developed in managing objects as well as metadata using ontologies that offers a set of services such as storing, retrieving and searching of learning objects using semantic web technologies(Ahmed et al. 2007; Pathmeswaran and Ahmed 2009; Argüello et al.... [tags: Construction]
672 words (1.9 pages)