After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 security became a major concern for citizens and of course lawmakers. Unsure of what could happen next we were all afraid. Homeland Security encompasses policies, laws, organizations, and procedures designed to protect the rights and freedoms inherent in the US Constitution. Homeland defense which is sometime interchanged with Homeland Security deals with extra-territorial threats and preemptive operations (Parons & Oja, 51). Governments in many countries are devoting significant resources to combat this growing threat. In the United Stats, the Department of Homeland Security, or DHS is responsible for reducing America?s vulnerability to terrorism and leading a unified national effort to prevent terrorist attacks on American citizens and assets. The DHS mission statement is: ?We will lead the unified national effort to secure America. We will prevent and deter terrorist attacks and protect against and respond to threats and hazards to the nation. We will ensure safe and secure borders, welcome lawful immigrants and visitors, and promote free-slow of commerce? (www.dhs.gov). Technology is a key component of DHS. A part of the PROTECT system uses a computer program to depict the dispersion of toxic materials. On October 26, 2001 the President of the United States signed the Patriot Act, which was designed to define terrorist activities and provide la enforcement officials with legal tools for finding, catching, and prosecuted terrorists (Parons & Oja, 51).
Computer systems assist efforts to identify terrorists among the millions of people who travel into and within U.S. borders. Terrorists might use cell hones or e-mail t...
... middle of paper ...
...ments and have become more sophisticated at this task thanks to research for ordinary text-to speech and voice recognition technologies. Computers are a huge part of homeland security, without them we would all be at a greater risk for terrorism. Computers are prominent in each and every one of our lives, and they help us in many ways.
Arnone, Michael. "Internet security 'back to the Stone Age'." 22 Nov. 2005. 30
"DHS Organization." Department of Homeland Security. DHS. 12 Nov. 2005
National Security Agency Central Security Sevice. National Security Agency. 12
United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team. US-CERT. 12 Nov. 2005
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Computers in Homeland Security The DHS, Department of Homeland Security, uses a color coded system for informing the general public of what state of readiness the country should be in, in case of a terrorists threat. The system they use is a five color system, with each color representing a different step in readiness. Green means low risk of terrorist attacks, blue is Guarded, or general risk of a terrorist attack, yellow means elevated, or significant risk of a terrorist attack.... [tags: Department of Homeland Security Technology]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- Computers and Homeland Security Homeland Security is one of the most important departments in the United States. The United States Department of Homeland Security job is to reduce our vulnerability to terrorism and lead a national effort to help prevent terrorist attacks on our nation (Computer Concept, pg. 50). As technology evolves over the course of time, computers end up playing a crucial role in homeland security. Computer systems are used throughout everyday lifestyles in order to make difficult tasks much simple.... [tags: United States Department of Homeland Security]
826 words (2.4 pages)
- Computers and Homeland Security After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 security became a major concern for citizens and of course lawmakers. Unsure of what could happen next we were all afraid. Homeland Security encompasses policies, laws, organizations, and procedures designed to protect the rights and freedoms inherent in the US Constitution. Homeland defense which is sometime interchanged with Homeland Security deals with extra-territorial threats and preemptive operations (Parons & Oja, 51).... [tags: Terrorist Terrorism September 11 9/11]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- Computers in Homeland Security Ever since September 11th, 2001, our nation has been completely obsessed with our own security and prevention of another tragic incident. Through this experience leaders of our country have developed a system that would allow civilians of the status of our nation?s safety. It is called Homeland Security. Homeland Security was developed with several purposes. These include: increase overall preparedness, particularly for catastrophic events, Create better transportation security systems to move people and cargo more securely and efficiently, Strengthen border security and interior enforcement and reform immigration processes, Enhance information sha... [tags: Technology Terrorism Terrorist Attack Prevention]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Homeland security is the way Americans put forth the effort to ensure the homeland is safe, secure, and stands firm against terrorist acts and other hazard that could put the health and welfare of the American people. The mission of the Homeland Security is to prevent terrorism, secure and protect our open borders, uphold all immigration laws, safeguard and secure cyberspace, and be content and resilient when it pertains to disasters. Critical infrastructure protection (CIP) is a concept that relates to the preparedness and response to serious incidents that involve the critical infrastructure of a region or nation.... [tags: Security, National security]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Cyber security is the protection of networks, computers, programs and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access. This is important because a great number of our confidential information is on computers and transmit that data across networks to other computers. As of now cyber-attack is one of the transnational issues that we are concern about in the United States. If these private networks were hack our national security infrastructure will be in distress. Cyber security is operating through the Department of homeland security (DHS) privacy office and the component privacy offices.... [tags: Security, National security]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- “Homeland security usually addresses activities, solutions, systems, and issues related to natural and man-made events that can cause threat to life and/or bring national economy losses (Franceschetti, 2008)”. The idea of Homeland Security is a fairly new concept. It came into being as a result of the 2001 terrorist attacks on several United States targets. The Department of Homeland Security otherwise known as the DHS, was formed November 25th, 2002 and is made up of members from twenty two other government agencies and departments.... [tags: Terrorist Attacks, Prevention]
1534 words (4.4 pages)
- Cyber security is defined as the protection of information on computer systems and the protection of the hardware that supports or stores the information on computers or servers. This level of protection can include controlling physical access to the hardware, as well as protecting against harm that may come from local or remote network access, data and code injection and due to malpractice by system operators, who may have been tricked by outside personnel to place the system in a compromising situation.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Computer]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- It is clear the U.S. Government, after 9/11 had to rethink what port security really meant. It was no longer about drug smugglers and theft, it was now a broad based approach to securing the ports, protecting the people and infrastructure and reducing the likelihood of another attack, whereby preserving global economic activity. As outlined above many areas have been addressed to protect overall port security, maintain strict processes for port facility security and drive technology and cooperation to improve container security.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Port security]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Internet Security Internet Security is the most important aspect of information technology. It has been years since computer has been invented and to keep the information confidential we have to safeguard this information. The importance of integrating security measures into systems development. Every business has their own security systems to reach their goals of information security. The computer world created security systems in order to reduce risk, maintain confidentiality, ensure the reliability of data resources, and compliance with national security laws and privacy policies and laws.... [tags: Internet Privacy Security Web Essays]
1457 words (4.2 pages)