Essay PreviewMore ↓
Sarah’s Flower Designs is a fledgling, home-based business in Madison, Wisconsin, consisting of three employees. Sarah, the owner, handles all of the floral arrangements. Her assistant, Mark, handles the purchasing of flowers, related materials, and takes telephone and walk-in orders from customers. Mark also keeps the financial and client records in order. Kim is the delivery driver and makes local deliveries to homes and businesses.
Sarah’s Flower Designs is looking to upgrade its computer system (an older model PC) to help keep up with the growing demand of their customers. They would like to house their client information and order histories on their new system, as well as bill their customers electronically. They also want Kim to have a way to keep track of customer addresses and specific delivery instructions while she is on the road. What IT recommendations would you make for Sarah’s Flower Designs?
Sarah needs to replace her older PC with a desktop computer. The desktop computer has a primary memory as well as, secondary memory; Sarah would have the ability to run the programs that would best benefit her business needs. The desktop computer could be upgraded with more memory or even a new hard drive as her business and cliental grows.
Sarah should also invest in a handheld computer so that Kim would be able to keep track of customer’s addresses and delivery instructions while she is on the road. This system could reduce possible delivery mistakes for the business.
Of course, Sarah’s business would need to purchase additional software to enable them to do the things the business needs such as, Quicken, Microsoft office, and QuickBooks. This will enable the company to keep track of customers, bill customers electronically, and even keep track of sales and purchases. The desktop computer will be able to run each of this software with ease.
SBI Corporation is a financial consulting organization based out of Dallas, Texas with four satellite offices located throughout the southwestern United States. The company has 300 full-time employees, 20 of whom travel to various office locations 2 to 4 days a week. These 20 employees do not have access to email and other company programs when they are traveling.
SBI Corporation wants to improve their company Web site to provide its clients with access to their portfolio information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How to Cite this Page
"Computer Systems Scenarios." 123HelpMe.com. 26 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... It takes longer to fix the issues, than it would have taken to write the SRS in the beginning.” Diverse Audience There is a recommended standard for the SRS: 830-1998 – IEEE Recommended Practice for Software Requirements Specifications. This has to be purchased for $111, providing “The content and qualities of a good software requirements specification (SRS) are described, and several sample SRS outlines are presented” (“IEEE Recommended Practice for Software Requirements Specifications" ).... [tags: computer software engineering]
1174 words (3.4 pages)
- In a world of computer crime, stolen identities, and network sabotage it would seem that hackers are the ones with the advantage with the rest of us playing the defensive. There are a number of tools that we use to fight back, such as: Anti-virus applications, firewalls, and encryption. These are some of the most well-known defensive strategies but there also exist one that actually encourages attacks, and is commonly called a honeypot. If you can remember the allure that Winnie the Pooh had for honey, the principal idea behind a honeypot should not be difficult to understand.... [tags: network sabotage, hacking]
923 words (2.6 pages)
- Introduction: “Decision making is concerned with evaluating and ranking possible alternatives of action” . “It is a process that involves multiple steps depending on the number of viable options and scenarios” . A person has to look into the pros and cons of each option and consider all the alternatives, decision maker also needs to be able to forecast the outcome of each option for the given situation and based on all these criteria can determine the best option suitable . Nowadays technology is playing a vital role in helping humans take decisions in an effective way by processing the data, analyzing it and providing the alternatives to choose from.... [tags: technology, computer science, software]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- The primary objective of AFAS is to utilize the information available during faulted scenarios for efficient utilization of resources to quickly respond to the event and monitoring protective device operations to improve the system reliability. In order to achieve this, AFAS strives to: Efficiently use of resources and data: Installation of new equipment should be kept to a minimum in order to enhance the economic benefit from this system. The available data from the existing infrastructure should be utilized to the largest possible extent, making use of the same data for multiple functionalities.... [tags: objective, operation, data]
550 words (1.6 pages)
- Interfaces take places into our lives in the form of the various devices, analog or digital, with whom we normally establish some kind of interaction. This means that the interfaces are "tools" extenders for our bodies, such as computers, cell phones, elevators, etc. The concept of interface is applicable to any situation or process where the exchange or transfer of information takes place. Some of the ways of thinking to the interface might be like “the area or place of interaction between two different systems not necessarily a technological system”.... [tags: Medical Research]
1772 words (5.1 pages)
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE I am very thankful for providing me this opportunity and it is with sincere sense of gratification that I pen my brief statement of purpose. The course of Information Technology which I pursued at GURU NANAK college of Engineering further advanced the deep curiosity I had in computer science and mathematics since childhood .It is only natural that after completing my course I had a penchant to learn more, which guided me to take up the decision to pursue graduate study in research oriented and technological areas like Computer Science and Information Technology, that touch the lives of many in this modern age.... [tags: Graduate school, College, Statement of purpose]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Computer security is now an important area for any network administrator, systems analyst, information technology technician, databases administrator to the computer scientist. Although this list shows the professionals dabbling in Information Technology, it should not be misconstrued that the average computer user at home should not be concerned about computer security. A computer, be it a personal computer, a laptop or a simple netbook, is one of the features that adorn any home.... [tags: Industry, Cyber Crime]
1662 words (4.7 pages)
- Archimedes once said, “Give me place to stand on, and I will move the earth”. I desire to leverage my passion to achieve new computational approaches to produce greater results with reduced resources (space, time). To answer the questions like Can something be efficient, yet small, easy and still perform herculean tasks. My area of interest is the study and contribution towards field of algorithms and optimized solutions. So I will undertake postgraduate study in Computer Science in Stony Brook University.... [tags: plan, experience, academics, engineer]
698 words (2 pages)
- Nowadays businesses encounter numerous obstacles in their organizational architectures. Antiquated legacy information systems (LIS) and shifting business activities encompass the chief motivations for organizations to modernize (Syntel, 2008). Some of the chief concerns in NASCIO’s 2008 national survey on legacy systems were restricted or unavailable software maintenance/upgrades, incapability to improve or alter applications, limited knowledge of legacy application tools, non-existent documentation, and the capacity to enrich or modify security safeguards (NASCIO, 2008).... [tags: technology, business, migration]
1806 words (5.2 pages)
- Teaching Computer Ethics in the Classroom The computer is considered one of the most technological advances of the twentieth century. As the general public becomes increasingly ‘computer literate,' the gap between technology and peoples' intellect notably shrinks. The readily available computers, software, and assorted output devices have enlightened many but, in turn, have increased the using of computers for unethical activities, privacy invasion and illegal purposes. Legal sanctions against abusive use of computers are a reactive approach.... [tags: essays research papers]
2418 words (6.9 pages)
To best benefit the SBI Corporation I would suggest they start by upgrading their computer system to a minicomputer, this would allow the corporation to build and expand their web site and enable clients to access their information when they wanted to. The minicomputer is very reliable and I believe the corporation would benefit from their use. The corporation would also have the ability to network between their various offices. As the corporation grows I would suggest again upgrading to a mainframe computer as the system is larger and they would be able to store much more information and increase productivity.
The company would also benefit from investing in laptops for each of their 20 employees that travel on a regular basis. The company would need to make sure each laptop was wireless ready so that the employees could access company information and e-mails while even on a airplane. Laptops would keep employees up to date on new information from the company, as well as, the ability to keep in contact with their supervisors of fellow workers through e-mails.
The Helping Hands League is a nonprofit organization out of Orlando, Florida that offers assistance to elderly and handicapped individuals. Currently, the league has 35 volunteers who are assigned to help different people in the community with errands, reading, cooking, and household chores.
The Helping Hands League does not have a lot of money to spend on technology. The league wants to keep records on each client and volunteer for tax purposes and have the ability to create schedules for
volunteers to ensure the needs of each client are being met. What IT recommendations would you make for the Helping Hands League?
I would recommend a desktop computer for The Helping Hands League and it would also be the most cost effective system for the organization to purchase. The desktop computer can easily keep records on each client and volunteers, while enabling the organization the ability to create schedules for the volunteers, this information would also be easily accessible for the organizations daily recording keeping. The company would also benefit from a printer so volunteers would be able to print out their schedules to ensure each client’s needs are being meet. Desktop computers have good processing power and contain enough storage to support standard applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet manipulation, and simple database process. The desktop computer has enough memory to enable the organization to make changes to their schedules and cliental, as with this type of organization the volunteers and clients may change on a frequent basis. I believe the company will be able to use the desktop computer for all their necessary work while also being the most cost effective.
John is an up-and-coming jazz singer and songwriter. He has regular gigs performing his original music at a neighborhood wine bar and a local Italian restaurant in his hometown of Santa Barbara, California. John is frequently asked by many of the wine bar and restaurant patrons if he has a CD recording of his songs for sale.
John has not been signed to a record label as of yet, but he has been thinking about recording an album independently and selling it online and at his shows. He would like to record and produce the album on his own, at his house. John would also like to keep track of his personal and professional finances, listen to the audition recordings of session musicians interested in playing with him on his album, and have access to the Internet. What IT recommendations would you make for John?
John would best benefit from a desktop computer; he would be able to purchase simple standard office software, such as, Microsoft Office, that would be easy for him to use and keep track of his personal and professional finances. A desktop computer would also allow John to record and produce his own album with a good cd burner. John would also benefit from a quality speakers and a microphone so he could produce his album and listen to it when he is done. With a desktop computer John would be able to access the internet provided he had an internet server which can usually be purchased for a minimal cost. Having internet access would be a great service for John to be able to sell his albums online, he could also design his own website to sell his albums, which could be very cost effective for him.