Computer systems can be found in varying environments, these are; at home, in businesses, computer gaming, networking and real-time situations. Computers systems can be classified into the following categories; microcomputers, minicomputers, mainframes and super computers. Different environments will have certain computer systems which are appropriate for that setting.
Microcomputers can be categorised as personal computers (PC’s) and mobile computers. Mobile computers can be devices such as laptops, PDA’s, smart phones and tablets. Microcomputers are the most used type of computer system in existence today, the reason for this is they are the cheapest and smallest of all. Most microcomputers have a single-chip processor, memory and I/O functions. Some of the most popular creators of microcomputers today are Apple, Samsung, Dell and Lenovo. Microcomputers compared to other types of computer systems can be construed as slow, however microcomputers are more than capable of doing the activities it’s been designed for at an acceptable speed, this has in turn made it affordable to a lot of people. Microcomputers have had an affect on all types of environment.
Home - The home environment can be interpreted as a user’s house or personal space, usually a family residence with a relatively good internet connection. . The usual family dwelling in a developed country such as the U.K would have several mobile devices such as laptops, tablets, and phones. One or two personal computers (PC’s) may be found, but this isn’t common as PC‘s take up a lot of space in a home. Microcomputers in a home environment can be used to do many activities such as online shopping, paying bills, communicating, editing images and videos, gaming, and ...
... middle of paper ...
... booked the mainframe operates quickly so that taken seat isn’t booked by another user. Hotels likewise use mainframes to allow users to make online bookings.
Supercomputers are high performance systems used for multiprocessing. They are the most expensive and largest of all computer system types. They are also the least common. They are usually found a large ventilated rooms sometimes the size of a building. Supercomputers like mainframes can be found in business and real-time.
Business - Companies and governments use supercomputers for research and exploration. NASA uses supercomputers for space shuttle launches, control and space exploration. No other type of computer system will be able to do this. Governments and companies also sue supercomputers for weather forecasting Supercomputers handle large amount of data from different locations to predict the weather.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Subsystems Identify subsystems in technological systems The definition of a subsystem is a system within a system larger than itself. An example of technological subsystems would be the hard drive, the motherboard, the power supply, the random access memory and the monitor in the computer system. All the components work together to be able to recreate the modern computer. 1. The Case is used to keep all of the components together and connects to the motherboard. It is connected using the LED cables to light up the LEDs at the front of the computer case.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Operating system]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Operating Systems A computer is useless without an operating system and without it every program would need the full hardware specification to run correctly and perform tasks. An operating system, also known as OS, is a software on the hard drive that allows the hardware of a computer to communicate and operate with the computer software. The OS is the most important software running on a computer because it handles the memory, processes and all of its software and hardware (Operating Systems).... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Computers have changed our lives in many many different ways. We do a lot of things from computers and our portable devices such as get music, watch videos, pay bills, order dinner, keep connected with friends on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter, take college classes online, and many other things that I could make a 5 page list of all the things it can help us do straight from home but that would bore you to death. Now that I have told you how computers have changed our lives and how they are used in daily life let me tell you the importance of the people working in computers and IT.... [tags: Job, Computer Systems, Career]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Computer based information systems are an important part of the world today. We use them to make educated decisions that would have been just plain guesses in years past. We use them to collect data from all sorts of different sources and to turn all that raw data into useful information. The information that is created is shown to us in many ways. It can be in the form of reports, graphs, images, or even sounds. They can even help an organization gain a competitive edge on their rivals. Organizations can use computer based information systems to gather consumer data to judge which of their products is selling the best to get a feel for what they should be working on next.... [tags: Computer, Operating system, Internet, Information]
863 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction This assignment will attempt to evaluate legacy information systems by bracketing it around a fictitious organization identified as Legacy Incorporated. Although, many strategies and-or tactics utilized by this company will be utilized for academic purposes; it should be valuable towards explaining why legacy computer systems were, and furthermore, continue to be utilized at many business enterprises by utilization of many academic resources within the research discipline. Certainly, over the past several years; including today, tremendous controversy continues to hover around the Information (IT) security community concerning why legacy computing solutions; software, hardware,... [tags: Computer, Operating system, Computer software]
1583 words (4.5 pages)
- Scenario 1 Sarah’s Flower Designs is a fledgling, home-based business in Madison, Wisconsin, consisting of three employees. Sarah, the owner, handles all of the floral arrangements. Her assistant, Mark, handles the purchasing of flowers, related materials, and takes telephone and walk-in orders from customers. Mark also keeps the financial and client records in order. Kim is the delivery driver and makes local deliveries to homes and businesses. Sarah’s Flower Designs is looking to upgrade its computer system (an older model PC) to help keep up with the growing demand of their customers.... [tags: Computer System Technology]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Computer Information Systems Once upon a time, way back when in the caveman era, caveman used drawings on walls to keep track of information and to communicate with each other in the clan of one's life-span. Over time, man have improved and evolved in the way of keeping track of information and communicating with one another. Today, one finds himself more in an automated world than he did 25 years ago. When planning to purchase a computer, one must take in consideration all possibilities, options, and accessories that one could receive along with the computer.... [tags: Data Information System IS Technology]
1760 words (5 pages)
- Computerized Maintenance Management Systems INTRODUCTION Facilities departments are under tremendous pressure to provide more information faster, and at a lower cost to the company. At the same time many companies have reduce staff to the bare minimum. Maintenance professional are presented with more difficult challenges today than at any previous point. The biggest obstacle of all confronting maintenance professionals is being forced to do more with fewer resources. Maintenance departments must deliver superior service, comply with regulatory requirements and provided detail financial accountably all within the confines of limited and/or reduce budgets.... [tags: Computer, Operating system, Personal computer]
1058 words (3 pages)
- The Database Management System (DBMS) is software that enables the users to define, create, maintain and control the access to the database. It is a software that interact with the user’s applications programs and it database. Meanwhile, information retrieval system is a system that involved the activity that the systems obtain the information. The obtaining information action need the information from it resources. The DBMS has a function that can be differentiate from the information retrieval system.... [tags: technology, computer systems]
1438 words (4.1 pages)
- In our world, people rely heavily on the power of technology every day. Kids are learning how to operate an iPad before they can even say their first word. School assignments have become virtual, making it possible to do anywhere in the world. We can receive information from across the world in less than a second with the touch of a button. Technology is a big part of our lives, and without it life just becomes a lot harder. Just like our phones have such an importance to us in our daily lives, database management systems are the same for businesses.... [tags: Database management system, Database, Computer]
1411 words (4 pages)