Robust information systems and communication networks have become essential in social and economic development across the world. Networking and computing are currently utilities in the same way as water supplies and electricity. For this reason, the safety and availability of information communication systems are becoming of increasing concern. Computer security is essential to any institution and government agency and with the ever-increasing rates of computer-related crimes, it is essential to establish security program capable of preventing the impact of such threats. Various institutions globally are increasingly integrating advanced information communication technology infrastructure and applications in their core operations aimed at supporting data creation, usage, storage and sharing. According to RSA (2012), 2011 saw the world enter new and unprecedented risk levels of sophistication in computer cyber-attacks. The report further indicate that cyber-attacks are continuously redefined with the emergence of financial malware variants as criminals invent new ways to monetize non-financial data as well as an increase of hacktivism-related crimes.
As seen in the last couple of years, small and large companies both in the private and public sectors have encountered breaches of security that have resulted in both financial loss and public humiliation. These incidents range from simple denial of service attacks launched by script kiddies to more sophisticated data exfiltration that can lead to PII compromise and loss of sensitive intellectual property and information. For instance, in October of 2012, a group of hackers broke into thousands of computer accounts belonging to more than 12 Universities in what was seen a...
... middle of paper ...
...e were already more than 81,000 viruses in circulation, and the number must have doubled by now with emergence of worse viruses. According to the University Of Minnesota Office Of Information Technology (2013), viruses represent a great risk of time, money and data loss. Their main concern is the sophistication, damage and the speed of these viruses. The University protects its system with “two tier anti-virus standard” (University of Minnesota Office of Information Technology, 2013).
Nonetheless, firewall and intrusion have proved to be effective and efficient in controlling access to computer systems. Firewall and intrusion control access within the system as well as external access. The University of Notre Dame has established a robust firewall and intrusion protection system that feature packet filtering, stateful inspection and application proxy (Winding, 2013).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Since the beginning of technology, the security levels have dramatically increased making the computers and information technology very secure places to store information. In the beginning computer security focused mainly on securing the computer and the physical system. But with everything becoming more and more mobile, security isn’t just about the physical system anymore…it’s also about securing the information that is constantly running between systems and being stored in clouds. This is information security.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Security]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- The reliability of computer technology has come into question in the last couple of years, however computer technology is extremely important to how todays society functions in everyday activities. Reliability in software is important in personal matters, business matters, and even in government and military systems. There are now ways to ensure reliability such as regular maintanence and laws. The reliability needs to be up to par becuase computer technology is interwoven in todays society. If it is not, the ways in which our current society utilizes computer technology can be in jeopardy.... [tags: Computer, Computer software, Computer security]
2273 words (6.5 pages)
- Introduction This paper will present to the Northcentral University Information Technology Supervisor research in the form of a report that will assist with determining the controls required to implement to ensure that data are secure for the university. This paper will summarize the security breaches of the Target Store Corporation over the previous year and make recommendations in the form of information technology security best practices to strengthen the University’s infrastructure. Summarize Major Security Breaches The Target Corporation was exploited in December 2013 and then again in 2015.... [tags: Computer security, Information security]
801 words (2.3 pages)
- In the past decade, technology has started to touch every aspect of our lives. However this isn’t necessarily a good thing. With almost everything being online and our cyber security being so low this can cause a major problem for anyone using the internet. Low cyber security can bring down large organizations and ruin countries this has become a problem that many software engineers have and are still trying to solve in order for this to not become an unfixable problem. Software engineering is the application of engineering to the design, development, implementation, testing and maintenance of software in a systematic method.... [tags: Computer, Software engineering, Computer security]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- In 2003, I was recruited to setup and lead a new cyber security initiative for the Army Materiel Command (AMC), a 53 Billion dollar year logistics command that serves as the army version of amazon for the army’s current inventory of weapons, supplies and vehicles. AMC, at this time, had over a 100k workforce spread across 140 locations worldwide. During this timeframe, the Department of Defense was still trying to define Cyber Security and mature the process they had in place. DOD was a large target and AMC ranked high due to the research we performed for Army and the DoD.... [tags: Security, Computer security, Information security]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Information Technology (IT) managers are constantly tasked with evaluating their organization’s overall security posture and reporting the greatest vulnerabilities to leadership. Senior management is often surprised to hear that the greatest vulnerability within an organization is not a misconfigured firewall or a virus being forwarded across an internal e-mail server, but rather a human being. When compared to a piece of hardware or software, a human user is easily the single most targeted weakness within an organization.... [tags: Computer and Information Security]
2352 words (6.7 pages)
- Executive Summary The reason of this information is to identify the security weakness in the Aircraft Solutions inter structure. Aircraft solutions is a known frontrunner in the design and manufacture of component for commercial, defense, and aerospace industry headquartered in San Diego, CA. I have found two security vulnerabilities in the organization, first there is software issue of not having a firewall between the Commercial Division and the internet world, which can be solved by installing a fire between CD and internet.... [tags: Computer security, Security, IP address, Risk]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Reasonable Security Standard A “reasonable security” standard can provide specific requirements that every operation of an information system is to ensure protection of data as well as networking communication of hardware and software. The development of a reasonable security standard should be a collaboration of developments that’s derived from the industry and the government. The key is to provide a basic security standard for all information systems across industries that can be rightfully implemented and governed throughout the country.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Security]
725 words (2.1 pages)
- In my role as the Chief, Security Officer (CSO), I also served as the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) for a SOCOM Task Force, I excelled at working across organizational lines to develop enterprise-level security strategies and security architecture recommendations, I also have extensive experience in collaborating with external organizations, including oversight organizations to address security issues within the enterprise. As the CISO, I developed the security architecture and strategy for the Task Force to accommodate several new mission strategies that required the sharing of specialized intelligence data between several DOD and independent agencies.... [tags: Security, Security guard, Scientific method]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- Internet Security Internet Security is the most important aspect of information technology. It has been years since computer has been invented and to keep the information confidential we have to safeguard this information. The importance of integrating security measures into systems development. Every business has their own security systems to reach their goals of information security. The computer world created security systems in order to reduce risk, maintain confidentiality, ensure the reliability of data resources, and compliance with national security laws and privacy policies and laws.... [tags: Internet Privacy Security Web Essays]
1457 words (4.2 pages)