In this fast changing technological world, computers might be seen as one of the most popular kinds of electronic devices in today’s planet. Whether a child or an adult, male or female, everyone wants to learn how to operate a computer. People use computers for different purposes such as typing papers, creating websites, making presentations, browsing on the internet, and playing games. There are two types of computers such as laptops and desktops, which can be examined through size, weight, connectivity, and power.
Size could be one of the major concerns for people who want to buy a computer. A laptop is smaller and all the components used are relatively small as well. Size is a very important factor which makes the laptop more convenient to use (Day 1). It contains everything in one complete unit including the screen, mouse, and the keyboard. The reason they are small is due to the use of smaller parts in constructing them. These parts include microprocessor, memory, hard drive, motherboard, and power supply. C. William Day, points out that, “Laptops aren't as easy to upgrade” (2). Most of the components are fixed in terms of capacity such as hard drive, memory, processor speed and screen size.
Furthermore, weight may be an important aspect to look at when buying a laptop. Due to the use of small components, the weight is reduced by great percentage. John Biggs writes, “To reduce weight, manufacturers typically shave inches from the keyboard and screen” (Biggs 1). Having a larger screen in this case, 17 or 20 inches can contribute in weight than one, which has 10 to 12 inches. Being light in weight it is easy to carry in different places.
Another important aspect in laptops may well be connectivity. In ord...
... middle of paper ...
...nating current to operate. Laptops also use electric current to recharge the battery. Newer models of laptops come in bigger screen sizes and with better processor speeds. Desktops, on the other hand, have better processor speeds. In terms of connectivity, both incorporate built in modems for internet access.
Although both computers are good, in one or another way, both are highly advancing with technology. While laptops have a reasonably size and weight, this makes them easy to move around. Desktops, though bigger in size be likely to hold more parts and information. Weight is not a great issue to worry when it comes to desktop computers. Both computers offer enhanced connectivity, but laptops offer superior internet connection over desktops. Alternating current is normally used to operate both computers. Batteries are used in laptops as one of the power source.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The computer, one of man’s smartest inventions ever constructed. A device that was once a near thousands pounds, cost over a million dollars now fits into the palm of a hand and is only a fraction of the cost. Over a century ago, people had to accomplish routine tasks manually. Hand writing letters, scouring terms in the dictionary, and interacting with people face to face are functions that were once a norm for everyone but now are obsolete. In this automatonic, simplistic world we live in, objectives can be completed in fractions of the time it took over a hundred years ago, all thanks to the computer.... [tags: Konrad Zuse, Computer, Computer data storage]
732 words (2.1 pages)
- In general, computer is a machine that manipulates data according to a list of instructions. Computers can be found in various forms such as personal computers, calculators and mobile phones. They are utilised in places like houses, offices, and schools. The invention of computer symbolises the advancement of technology in mankind. Furthermore, computer has made our life easier. We would not have achieved what we have today if computer was not invented. It is difficult to identify which was the first computer invented.... [tags: Computer,]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- Introduction Computer systems can be found in varying environments, these are; at home, in businesses, computer gaming, networking and real-time situations. Computers systems can be classified into the following categories; microcomputers, minicomputers, mainframes and super computers. Different environments will have certain computer systems which are appropriate for that setting. Microcomputers can be categorised as personal computers (PC’s) and mobile computers. Mobile computers can be devices such as laptops, PDA’s, smart phones and tablets.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Mainframe computer]
1500 words (4.3 pages)
- 1. Computer hardware is the physical pieces of a computer. It’s the equipment that makes up the computer. 2. A piece of computer hardware is a mouse. A mouse is a pointer for your screen. Clicking the left button, right button, or scrolling with the wheel performs different actions on your screen/with your software. 3. The CPU is the central processing part of your computer; the processor performs the instructions given from programs. 4. The system unit is the outside case of your computer. It holds the CPU and other circuitry/components that run your computer.... [tags: Computer program, Computer, Computer software]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- Owning a gaming computer is one of the best investments a person can make in their life. Having a gaming computer can greatly influence one’s entertainment ranges and personal hobbies. Every gamer or anyone who occasionally games should have a gaming computer instead of a gaming console. A gaming console only provides people with basic programs and simple user interface while a gaming computer can be used for any needs one need. A gaming computer is one’s own cable box but better. Having a gaming computer you can have it fully customized to fit whatever theme you would like it to fit, can run many programs and other applications faster than a console, and can be loaded with a plethora of mul... [tags: Computer, Personal computer, Video game console]
1335 words (3.8 pages)
- Computer The technology in these days is considered help hand for everything to do our work with fewer errors and faster time. As we know many people in these days using the computer each day for doing their work and assignments or just for spending fun time. Computer word does not just mean hardware and software but means more than that. It means everything related to technology such as infrastructure, networks, and programming languages. Computer facilities have three primary computer specialists that are computer science, computer information system, and computer information technology.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer science, Computer]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- Microcomputers: (Notebook, Laptop, Desktop and Tablet PC) Microcomputers are the smallest systems in the market. The size range is from calculator to desktop size. Its CPU is microprocessor. It also known as PC, their aim is to satisfy the needs of public and are single-user computers. They are used for common applications such as gaming, social networking, and internet research. Justify the performance, limitations Justify why this type is suitable to a particular environment Desktop: Desktop wasn’t designed to be portable.... [tags: Personal computer, Computer, Minicomputer]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- 1. Computer Errors 1a. What is an error. In the computer world, another word for an error is “corruption. These corruptions happen when data, going from one source to another, is changed.  To understand the importance of this change, a more in-depth understanding is needed. Computers speak in their very own language called machine code or binary. This language is a stream of “1’s” and “0’s” is what every operation on every computer in the world depends on to operate. Since nothing in this world is perfect, errors are an eventuality.... [tags: Computer, Computer security, Technology, Error]
1956 words (5.6 pages)
- The computer industry has experienced an impressive growth within the past 15 years. In our case, laptops fall under the category of computers as well. Even though computers had first come out in the mid 19th century, there has been a huge augmentation of ‘advanced’ computers/laptops in recent times. From 1936 to 1980, computers weren’t mainly used by the public. The very first system was not even considered a computer, but a mere 30 ton numerical calculator that worked through 18, 000 vacuum tubes.... [tags: computer]
1384 words (4 pages)
- The three main components of a computer are as followed: Central Processing Unit (CPU),Primary Storage (Main Memory) ,and Secondary Storage (Secondary Memory). The first component of the computer is the Central Processing Unit or known as the CPU. The CPU manipulates the data and controls the tasks performed by the other components. The CPU sequentially access programs instructions, decode them, and controls the flow of date to and from the ALU; the ALU is the Arithmetic-logic unit (this performs mathematics calculations and make logical comparisons).... [tags: Computer data storage, Computer]
1324 words (3.8 pages)
- Insight on the Motivation of Workers
- The Negative Portrayal of Lady Macbeth in Shakespeare's Play, Macbeth
- Theories of Organizational Management
- Effects of Global Warming
- The Tragic Flaws of Heroes Portrayed in Hamlet, Things Fall Apart and 1984
- Purpose of the Different Foils in Shakespeare's Hamlet