Essay PreviewMore ↓
The objective for this assignment was to build a cost effective computer system. Our instructions were to use the Internet another sources to research and price different computer types and then compile that information in the following report. Students were given the option to either use a budget of $500 to purchase all the components necessary for a standard computer, or use a budget of $1,000 to purchase components necessary to build a gaming computer. We chose to build a standard computer with an Intel Central Processing Unit (CPU) to facilitate basic computer use needs.
The first item we purchased was our motherboard, which we found on TigerDirect.com for the price of $169.99. The dimensions are 9.6” by 8.6”. This piece of equipment is bundled with sound, video, and all input/output ports. It is an Intel Desktop Board DDG31PR Classic Series Motherboard. An Intel two-quad processor is included on with the motherboard, in addition to an Intel Core two-duo processor. This component offers high-definition audio with the support of 5.1 integrated surround sound. The motherboard comes with a Realtek ALC888 audio codec which supports high quality audio up to six channels. It has one audio out jack, line in jack, and microphone jack. The video chipset is an Intel GMA3100. The processor speed is 2.0 gigahertz. The processor interface has a Socket 775 design. This design makes the process of upgrading the processor more feasible. It has an Allendale processor core. The processor has a cache size of 1 MB L2. The processor’s bus speeds range from 800 megahertz to 1333 megahertz. The Intel G31 Express Northbridge chipset connects to the CPU and allows it to interface with the RAM. The Intel ICH7 Southbridge chipset is connected to the Northbridge chipset. The motherboard comes with 1MB of DDR RAM, and the maximum memory supported is 4GB-32 bit. It can use 667Mhz DDR2 or 800Mhz DDR2. There are two DIMM sockets that use a 240-pin DDR2. The IDE supports Ultra DMA 33 and ATA 66/100/133. This design includes eight USB ports, version 2.0. The data transfer rate for the USB ports is 480 Mbps. The motherboard uses Serial ATA technology that helps to accelerate bus speeds and disk performance. It has four SATA power headers and 124-pin power connector.
How to Cite this Page
"Computer Building Project." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I’ve always been very interested in computers, from the way that they function, to how reliant we are on them in the modern day. So when it came to narrowing down a list of potential topics for my senior project, building a computer was one of the top choices I had. Eventually I did choose to that. This included buying all of the separate parts and assembling it together. After that, I knew that I would have to install an operating system on it, most likely Microsoft Windows, for it to be functional to the common person.... [tags: computers, information techno]
1962 words (5.6 pages)
- Do you have the tech savvy to build your own computer from parts and pieces. Do you have the desire to do so along with someone willing to help in that experience. This article is written from the perspective of over 25 years of technology experience with a focus of helping you decide if the benefits of building your own computer system outweigh the negatives. What type of system can I build. The answer to this question is "anything that you can afford." I would recommend getting a properly matched set of components from a vendor instead of pricing and ordering the CPU, motherboard, and memory separately.... [tags: Personal computer, Laptop, Desktop computer]
1828 words (5.2 pages)
- People – the reality of a project all depends on the people that are included in the project. We all need to come together as team and everyone will need to play their parts. For example, these specialists are likely to include system analyst, design, programmers, product developer and tester. Designer the reason having a developer is very important for the me because this will allow me to depend on the designer in order for them to continue with design they will suit them and Sahib Khan client.... [tags: Project management, Management, Construction]
821 words (2.3 pages)
- General The tender info which has been awarded is utilized for the drafting of the methodology statement. This statement provides us an indication on the over-all methodology to the execution and the management for Blue granite project. There are specific portions of works which has to be carried out under special circumstances and conditions needs to meet before undertaking them. The statement which provide the detailed statement in regarding to this will also be provided as the day-to-day work is on progress.... [tags: Project management, Construction, Project]
2409 words (6.9 pages)
- Becoming a computer programmer would be great because there are many options in this career by having the ability to produce an operating system, or a game for the world. Computer programmers have many opportunities in life to find a job they would love. Programmers can work independently, or in a big company. Programmers have and are creating the future for computers. Computer programmers have a wide range on what they can do. Computer programmers write the detailed list of instructions the computer will follow in the software (Great Sample Resume).... [tags: technology, computer software]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- What is the difference between an information system and a computer application. When looking into the information system, which is a set of interrelated computer components that collects, processes, or stores the information needed to completed (Satzinger, 2015). When looking into computer application, which is a computer software program that executes on a computing device to carry out specific function or related functions (Satzinger, 2015). The major difference between these two items is that information system is mainly a software, with a database and other processes, which computer applications is only a computer software.... [tags: Computer software, Computer program, Computer]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Persuasive speech Outline Title: Computer Literacy Specific Purpose: make my audience aspire to be more computer literate. Preview of Main Points: what is computer literacy, how it affects you, and finally what you can do to benefit. Introduction (Attention Getter) Who here believes they know about computers. Well I am sure that with only the exception of a select few in this building most of you could not even tell me what processor is inside your computer, much less be able to repair your computer after a small virus attack.... [tags: Literacy, Multimedia literacy, Computer literacy]
1051 words (3 pages)
- Specific Job Related Impressive technical skills around computers and programing. A programmer needs to have a wide range of technical skills, the more skill the programmer has the better and quicker the job will get done so if the programmer has an intensive time spent programming in a single language and is starting to branch out this is a good sign as the programmer is opening up to newer languages that are easier to code in. the reason that this is so highly desired is because they will be writing testing and maintaining the work so the programmer will have to know what to do if something goes wrong.... [tags: Problem solving, Employment, Computer programming]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Technology is constantly evolving. Computers, tablets, and cell phones have changed drastically over the past several years. For many years, computers were not available for personal use. Computing machines did not emerge until the 1940’s and 1950’s. Questions about the ownership of the first programmable computer are still disputed today. It appears as if each country wants to take credit for this accomplishment. Computer enthusiasts believe that Great Britain’s Colossus Mark 1 computer in 1944 was the first programmable computer and others give credit to the United States’ ENIAC computer in 1946.... [tags: computer, germany, government, processor]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- Computer Engineering - A Carrer as a Computer Software Engineer Introduction The explosive impact of computers and information technology on our everyday lives has generated a need to design and develop new computer software systems and to incorporate new technologies in a rapidly growing range of applications. The tasks performed by workers known as computer software engineers evolve quickly, reflecting new areas of specialization or changes in technology, as well as the preferences and practices of employers.... [tags: Computer Software Engineering]
2327 words (6.6 pages)
The next item that we purchased was the computer case. We found the case on NewEgg.com for a price of $45.99. The dimensions are 16” by 6.8” by 14.5”. The case is a MicroATX MiniTower. It is a simple, black metal case, which has a 350w power supply, 80mm rear fan, and a side air duct included. The case houses two 5.25” drive bays (external), two floppy disk drive bays (external), and two hard disk dive bays (internal). On the front panel you will find an air vent, along with two vertical Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports two audio ports. On the rear of the case you will find four expansion slots along with an open rear input/output panel. The case supports a MicroATX motherboard. There is no warranty on this case, but we did not mind because it is so basic. We agreed upon this design because not only did it prove to be cost effective, but it was a rare find out of the many cases that we browsed that had an open input/output panel are that would facilitate the dimensions of our motherboard bundle, which has a very unique design because of shape of the sound and video card included on the motherboard.
The next item purchased was our hard drive package, which we found on geeks.com for a price of $41.99. The hard drive is a Seagate ST3200820AS and has 200 GB of storage space. This drive also uses Serial ATA interface which helps to increase data transfer speeds; for this drive, 3 GB per second. The hard drive comes with a 180-day direct warranty. Our computer is only going to be used for basic functions so we chose this hard drive because it contains a sufficient amount of memory for a reasonable price.
Th next item we selected was a CD drive which we found on TigerDirect.com for a price of $14.99. The cache size is 2MB. The width of the drive is 5.7” and the height is 1.6”. The CD drive has an audio balance system that helps to reduce vibration and noise. It has an Easy-Tray design for either vertical or horizontal use. The CD drive has a speed of 52x and has pure CAV technology. The unique feature about this CD drive is that it does not use belts as a connecting device; it does not come with any software or cables. The drive supports plug and play configuration, with the intent to increase reliability and eliminate issues that may be caused by broken or loose belts.
The total amount it cost to build our computer was $272.96. It is our recommendation to others interested in building their own computers to be cost-conscious. In addition, it is an added bonus to have a plan before you start and a reasonable budget in mind.
PC HARDWARE COMPUTER BUILDING PROJECT
STARTING BUDGET: $500.00
Computer Case $45.99
Hard Drive $41.99
CD Drive $14.99
TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT: $272.96; $227.04 REMAINING
You do not have to spend a hefty amount of money to have an effective computer system. If you start out with the basics, you will be able to “splurge” on other items with the money you have saved (see pictures below: acrylic case or widescreen monitor).
Links to Parts
Hard Drive: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST3200820AS-R&cpc=SCH
CD Drive: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3424846&CatId=475