Computer based information systems consist of hardware, software, databases, telecommunications, people, and procedures. Hardware is the actual physical computer equipment used in a computer based information system to perform the tasks of input, processing, storage, and output. Some examples of hardware include keyboards, hard drives, processors, computer screens, webcams, and microphones. Hardware plays a vital role in the speed, efficiency, and user friendliness of Computer based information systems. The processor speed and amount of memory that a computer has plays a big part in how fast it can perform calculations and run programs. Different power supplies and cooling systems can affect the energy efficiency of computers. The number of programs and files that can be stored on a computer depends on the hard drives capacity. Hardware is the foundation of all computer based information systems.
... middle of paper ...
...tem what to do with data and how to do it. People can be end users which use the information system or systems personnel which program, maintain, and manage the information system.
Procedures are all the rules and guidelines for using the computer based information system. They include the specific steps required to achieve the desired result. These are usually step by step instructions that include when to do what, how to do it, and what to do if something goes wrong. If the procedures are effective and efficient then people get work done faster, do a better job, and are easier to train. Having a set procedure for something also increases the chances of getting the same result every time.
Computer based information systems have allowed people to make better decisions, create useful information from the mountains of raw data available, and easily track data that was
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Information systems are used throughout the world. It is important to have a good design for your company’s Information system. Hardware components are the backbone of a computer based information system. Processing information requires a central processing unit (CPU). Three elements work together in the CPU1. Mathematical and logical calculations are performed in the arithmetic logic unit (ALU). Decoding of program information is achieved in the control unit. It is in the control unit that program information and data information flow is regulated.... [tags: Computer data storage, Computer, Hard disk drive]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. Computer Errors 1a. What is an error. In the computer world, another word for an error is “corruption. These corruptions happen when data, going from one source to another, is changed.  To understand the importance of this change, a more in-depth understanding is needed. Computers speak in their very own language called machine code or binary. This language is a stream of “1’s” and “0’s” is what every operation on every computer in the world depends on to operate. Since nothing in this world is perfect, errors are an eventuality.... [tags: Computer, Computer security, Technology, Error]
1956 words (5.6 pages)
- The reliability of computer technology has come into question in the last couple of years, however computer technology is extremely important to how todays society functions in everyday activities. Reliability in software is important in personal matters, business matters, and even in government and military systems. There are now ways to ensure reliability such as regular maintanence and laws. The reliability needs to be up to par becuase computer technology is interwoven in todays society. If it is not, the ways in which our current society utilizes computer technology can be in jeopardy.... [tags: Computer, Computer software, Computer security]
2273 words (6.5 pages)
- Positive and Negative Impact of Computer in Society Almost a century ago, a large number of inventions took place during the first industrial revolution. Within a short span of time, many countries became industrialized. Now we are in the beginning of another industrial revolution. The major cause of the second industrial revolution is the invention of computers. Computer is the most versatile machine humans have ever created. It plays an important role in our everyday life. It covers huge area of application including education, industries, government, medicine, and scientific research, law and even music and arts.... [tags: Computer, Computer-aided design]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- A lot of people especially young adults went to school to better themselves. Each student has chosen major of study to fulfill them dream career. In Cincinnati State, a lot of students took Information Technology major to pursue their career in rapidly growing computer world. One of the advantages of being a computer programming is that they can work home-based or an office-based. Some people might ask if they have the same qualifications and work output. They do have the same qualifications. Home-based and office-based programmer have the same work results, it just a matter of how they write the program.... [tags: Computer, Programmer, Computer programming]
890 words (2.5 pages)
- In 2014, the UK became the “first country in the world to mandate computer programming in primary and secondary schools”. Students will be taught how to program and other computer science related material up until at least the age of 16 (Curtis, 2014). This was somewhat of a paradigm shift in computing in British schools. Prior to introduction of the new curriculum, students were taught mostly basic computer-usage skills: how to use basic computer applications such as word processors and email. This sort of education is no longer needed, at least not at the level it was in the recent past.... [tags: Computer, Computing, Algorithm]
1733 words (5 pages)
- Introduction The word ‘computer’ nowadays is very famous among all of us. Almost each and every one of us owned their own personal computer. In fact, a portable personal computer or also known as laptop was introduced the world by Adam Osborne in1981. Most people prefer to use laptop because it is so easy to carry anywhere you go. As the laptop getting famous throughout the years, they try to make it as convenient as they can. Like example, laptop from the past was quite heavy and big. Ever since then, they made it even slimmer, lighter and even smaller.... [tags: personal computer, printer, mouse]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- Cyber security is defined as the protection of information on computer systems and the protection of the hardware that supports or stores the information on computers or servers. This level of protection can include controlling physical access to the hardware, as well as protecting against harm that may come from local or remote network access, data and code injection and due to malpractice by system operators, who may have been tricked by outside personnel to place the system in a compromising situation.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Computer]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- ... Now with the touch of a key you can do math or put together something that would have involved you taking hours, day’s even weeks and months to do in a matter of a sec. I can understand the great significance of being able to accomplish something with the ability of computers. There is no doubt in my mind that we as humans may need such technology, and may not even know it. In an article in how computers influence us today study’s show “it is a place where growing segments of humanity congregate and take part in what many call the “WORLD’S LARGEST CONVERSATION”.... [tags: communication, tv, cell phones]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- My New Computer If I had the opportunity to build my own computer I would add the following components: 1. Mother Board - $134.99 2. Processor - $78.99 3. RAM - $209.99 4. Power Supply - $96.96 5. Case - $49.99 6. CPU Cooler - N/A 7. Video Card - $74.99 8. Music Card - $85.47 9. Speakers - $48.67 10. Hard Drive - $168.90 11. CD – RW and DVD-RW – 49.99 12. Modem - $99.99 13. Keyboard & Mouse – $64.99 (before $20.00 rebate) 14. Monitor - $169.99 15. Software - $88.00 I would follow the format presented by Rob Williams, to build my own computer because he has already done the homework and offers several tutorials for the not so gifted and not quite computer literate.... [tags: Technology Building Computer]
1978 words (5.7 pages)
- Analysis Of Valve Corporation Uses A Flat Business Structure
- Analysis Of The Poem ' Conquered ' Colonized '
- The Crowded Clinic : Critical Analysis
- Collision Between American Colonists And British Soldiers
- The Differences Between American Born Caucasian Female And A Korean Male Immigrant
- The Myth Of The Titan