The first year of the period, 213 BCE, is infamous for Emperor Shi-huang’s command for the burning of all books not officially sanctioned in the Qin Empire. As a result, it is difficult to obtain precise record of mathematics during the Qin dynasty. However, we do see some of the greatest endeavours in human history in the building of the terracotta army’s tomb and the Great Wall of China, both of which require advanced mathematical knowledge, especially geometrical formulas, to architect. This proves that constructional mathematics reached a new unparalleled height in the world at the time. In the attempt to unite the conquered states under the Qin empire, standard weight system was also implemented empire-wide. Meanwhile in India, we see what is referred to as Jaina mathematics period. Whereas ancient time Indian mathematics was mostly intended to build for religious and ritualistic purposes, Jaina mathema...
... middle of paper ...
...Retrieved from University of St. Andrews Web site: http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/Nine_chapters.html
O'Connor, J. J., & Robertson, E. F. (2003, December). Overview of Chinese mathematics. Retrieved from University of St. Andrews Web site: http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/Chinese_overview.html
Robertson, J. J. (2003, Dec). Chinese overview. Retrieved from University of St. Andrews: http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/Chinese_overview.html
Rockhill, W. W. (1884). In The Life of the Buddha and The Early History of His Order (p. 211). London: Trubner & Co.
Shen, K., Crossley, J. N., & Lun, A. W.-C. (1999). The nine chapters on the mathematical art; Companion and commentary. Beijing.
Straffin, P. D. (1998). Liu Hui and the First Golden Age of Chinese Mathematics. Mathematics Magazine Vol. 71, No. 3, pp. 163-181.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Annotated Bibliography Celinska, K. (2007). Individualism and Collectivism in America: The Case of Gun Ownership and Attitudes Toward Gun Control. Sociological Perspectives, 50(2), 229-247. doi:1. This article analyzes one of the most debated sociopolitical issues in America based on index of individualism and collectivism: gun ownership and gun control. It tests the hypothesis that the widespread gun ownership in the United States and prevailing attitudes toward gun control represent competing individualistic and collectivistic cultural traditions, respectively.... [tags: Chinese language, China, United States]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- Comparison and Contrast in The Great Gatsby The success of Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is in part due to his successful characterization of the main characters through the comparison and contrast of Daisy Buchanan and Myrtle Wilson, Tom Buchanan and George B. Wilson, and Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby. The contrast is achieved through two principle means: contrasting opposite qualities held by the characters and contrasting one character's posititve or negative qualities to another's lack thereof.... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
1767 words (5 pages)
- This section of the assignment focuses on the practice of mathematics in primary schools. It is important to consider a wide range of literature and evidence, to evaluate the pedagogy established around the teaching of arithmetic. It can be argued that mathematics is ‘the most international of all curriculum subjects’ and has the greatest influence in other aspects of life; social, economic, private and civil matters suggests, Anthony and Walshaw (2009, p6). Therefore, maths is considered to be a great skill to have in regards to future development and aspiring job aspects.... [tags: Education, Mathematics, Teacher, School]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Introduction This essay aims to discuss the impact of Web Based Technology (WBT) on assessment practices in mathematics. WBT refers to and promotes what is known as Web Based Learning (WBL) where the learning is in hypertext format providing the learner with more exploration and interactivity capabilities. Studies in Hong Kong by Khalifa(2002) suggests that this is the most superior form of WBL in comparison to Distributive Passive Learning (DPL) which is used to deliver linear material such as word files and power point presentations.... [tags: Mathematics]
2941 words (8.4 pages)
- Mathematics is an arduous journey. It is cruel and exhausting. Mathematics, by its very nature, threw me hard problems that stressed me out. I would spend hours, days, even months solving one. For example, I spent two weeks teaching myself the computing program—Mathematica, because I was curious to see the accurate phase portraits after I learned the techniques that enabled me to sketch phase portraits in my Ordinary Differential Equation class. Nevertheless, sometimes I could not find any solution even though I had worked on it for a long time.... [tags: Mathematics, Applied mathematics]
1379 words (3.9 pages)
- An ontological theorist generally begins his discussion with a preconceived notion of what kind of thing an object will turn out to be. Instead, we will here begin with a Thomassonian approach to the ontology of mathematics. First, let us consider what happens when we rst come to determine a mathematical proposition (which I will use synonymously with 'mathematical entitty'). A mathematician does not feel as though he creates mathematical theories. Pythagoras can hardly be thought to have created the claim that a2 + b2 = c2.... [tags: Mathematics]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- Economic Comparison of India and China From April to June 2005, India’s GDP grew at 8.1 per cent, compared with 7.6 per cent in the same period the year before. More impressively, India is achieving this result with just half of China’s level of domestic investment in new factories and equipment, and only 10 per cent of China’s foreign direct investment… … in 2003 and 2004, [China] was investing close to 50 per cent of its GDP in domestic plant and equipment - roughly equivalent to India’s entire GDP.... [tags: Compare Contrast Economy]
1658 words (4.7 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Tragedy and Comedy A tragedy is defined as beginning with a problem that affects everyone, i.e. the whole town or all the characters involved, the tragic hero must solve this problem and this results in his banishment or death [run-on sentence]. A comedy is defined as also beginning with a problem, but one of less significant importance. The characters try to solve the problem and the story ends with all the characters uniting in either a marriage of a party. Although these two genres are seen as being complete opposites of each other, through further analysis one can gather that though they are different certain similarities can also be seen.... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Comedy and Tragedy In a comparison of comedy and tragedy, I will begin by looking at narrative. The narration in a comedy often involves union and togetherness as we see in the marriage scene at the end of Midsummer's Night Dream. William Hazlitt tells us that one can also expect incongruities, misunderstandings, and contradictions. I am reminded of the play The Importance of Being Ernest and the humor by way of mistaken identity. Sigmund Freud tells us to expect excess and exaggeration in comedy.... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- China versus India: Market Comparison India The globalisation of a company goes always along with a great amount of opportunities but also with many risks. India and China are both very interesting countries to move into. India became democratic after gaining independence from Britain in 1947. From then, up to the early 1990s India has had a mixed economy, which was identified by a lot of state-owned businesses, centralized planning, and subsidies. This lead to a dramatic constriction of the private sector.... [tags: China India Economy Market Research compare]
2245 words (6.4 pages)
- Macroeconomic Environment of the Bethesda Blues & Jazz Supper Club in the United States
- How Huawei Technologies Succeed in Global Competition
- Learning Disabilities and Political Correctness
- Katherine Dunham: Activist, Anthropologist, Dancer
- Comparison Between The Bacchae and The Medea
- Causes and Effects of Anticommunist Sentiment in the Cold War