Essay PreviewMore ↓
Windows 7 starts with Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender. One of the re-occurring issues with Microsoft Security Essentials is its auto updating feature occasionally it doesn’t update. However, Microsoft has given information on how to fix the problem on their website. Microsoft Security Essentials protects your computer from viruses, spyware, and intrusions from hackers, but it does not provide a firewall or malware protection. The lack of certain protections makes it inferior to other free antivirus, however, it protects the system from the majority of infections and intrusions. Ubuntu, a version of Linux, starts without an antivirus because Linux is not as vulnerable to viruses as Windows. The way Linux is built it makes it hard for viruses to run. The only reason someone would need antivirus on a Linux based operating system is if you were sending files to a Windows computer or if the Linux computer was on the same network. Ubuntu starts out with a preset firewall, but it is not enabled on default.
Windows is not known for its stability. A key factor in its stability is the infamous blue screen also referred to as a blue screen of death. Which is a stop error where the computer stops. Usually there is some kind of code on the screen which can help you figure out the problem. However, the computer is programmed to quickly restart making getting that error code difficult. The more lines of code something has the more bugs it will have. Windows 7 has over two million lines of code making the chance for bugs very high. Ubuntu 12.04 does not have a stop error. Ubuntu also has fewer lines of code making it more stable. Drivers are less available for Linux, because some of them are proprietary
Windows community, the people that help by posting fixes for reoccurring problems on forums, lacks the sheer magnitude that Linux has.
How to Cite this Page
"Comparing between Linux and Windows." 123HelpMe.com. 26 May 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- One of the important components of software engineering is the platforms. There are many various types of computing platforms. A few of these include AmigaOS, Linux, Windows, Solaris. These examples are just a few of many different computing platforms. The types of computing platforms can be differentiated into three different categories, which include operating-system examples, software frame work examples, and also hardware examples. Each of the different platforms has slightly different requirements and means of maintenance.... [tags: Computer Science]
2142 words (6.1 pages)
- Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Linux]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- One of the most popular areas of contention among computer users has always been what operating system was preferred. There have been countless advertising campaigns touting one over the other. One of the most recent would be the ad that featured one person exclaiming, “Hi, I’m a Mac” and another “Hi, I’m a PC” with intention to promote Apple over Microsoft. While Apple and Microsoft have been squaring off for many years there has been another contender rising through the ranks, Linux and its many distributions.... [tags: computer users, operating systems]
530 words (1.5 pages)
- Our company, Soap-n-Suds, is planning to upgrade the Windows operating systems that we currently use on all 5,000 desktop computers to a more advanced version. At present, we are using an early version of this Microsoft operating system on all desktop computers used by Soap-n-Suds employees. If possible, our company will also strive to update our desktop computers as well as the Microsoft software that will be put on it. The vice-president of information technology has asked us, the hired analysts, to compare and contrast the latest versions of the Windows operating system, the Mac operating system, and the Linux operating system.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Microsoft Windows]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Here at Soap-n-Suds we are currently using the Windows Xp operating system, which came out in 2001 and has now been unsupported as of April 8, 2014. We are currently deciding on what operating system will be best for our business to run more efficiently so we can keep our customers coming back. The windows operating system that we are currently planning to have is windows 10, which came out on July 29 of this year. Still we are not planning on upgrading our computers right away, before doing that we would like to figure out what will be needed.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh]
1393 words (4 pages)
- Comparison of Windows 2000 and Knoppix Linux Boot Disk Introduction What is X Windows. The X Window System, often known as X, is a windowing system for graphics workstations developed at MIT with support from DEC, Indiana University (1997-2005). What is the Microsoft counterpart. Microsoft's Windows Graphic Device Interface or (GDI) performs the same functionality for Windows as X Windows does for UNIX or Linux operating systems. We begin the journey by separating out the Windows manager (KDM) from the X Windows (XFree86) on the Knoppix Linux disk.... [tags: Compare Contrast Technology Essays]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Comparing any network operating system is really like comparing an apple to an orange. To judge between the underlying functionality of each operating system geared towards different networking environments is too broad of a subject to come to a reasonable conclusion. However, one could argue about the advantages and disadvantages pertaining to the Unix based Linux operating system and the infamous Windows NT operating system. I can compare and contrast these two operating systems, but I can’t take a strong stand because it all depends on a number of situations including the different networking environments, the applications that are readily available, and most important what th... [tags: essays research papers]
1049 words (3 pages)
- Linux VS NT / Will Linux replace Windows NT as the server OS of choice. "Linux is ready, or at least poised, to take on Windows NT for market dominance of server operating systems", said T. W. Burger Owner, Thomas Wolfgang Burger Consulting June 2000. It is the competitive choice for the user wanting a cheap, versatile, scalable, and reliable server solution. This article examines how Linux is ready to meet or exceed all user requirements that NT provides and why Linux should be the preferred alternative to NT.... [tags: Essays Papers]
3216 words (9.2 pages)
- An Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista, Operating system]
2315 words (6.6 pages)
- Operating System Concepts Research Paper Windows or Linux for Small Company By: Muhammad H Khan Table of Contents • Introduction • History of Windows • History of Linux • Availability of Software • Minimum Requirements to run the OS • Security • User friendly Introduction Linux and windows operating systems are software with programs and information needed to run and monitor the computer programs. An operating system is one of the most important computer programs which a computer cannot run without them.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
1209 words (3.5 pages)
Windows is relatively easy to learn. Windows usability in the workplace and at home depends fully on the amount of programs that are made for Windows exclusively. Windows is great for computer aided design programs. Windows has editing software for everyone such as Fruity Loops and Adobe Creative Suite. The vast amount of kinds of programs separates Windows from Linux. Linux depends almost fully on community support. Almost all programs made for Linux are free. Linux has better stability. Linux is built to be secure. Linux does have a lot of compilers available making Linux ideal for programmers. Linux is not easy to learn.
Different operating systems with different uses making them good for different things. The operating systems built in security are different