With a world following of over 2 billion and 1.3 billion respectively, Christianity and Islam are without doubt the most popular religions that have had and still do have the most profound influence in the progression of history. Geisler and Saleeb state that even with the massive adherents, it is still astounding the menace of intolerance and mutual distrust among the two religions (207). While these differences inherentlyhave their roots in history, truth be told, many Christians and Muslims know little about their religions. Consequently, these misconceptions have been used as the basis to hold and propagate misleading and mistaken ideas about their religions without valid grounds.
The purpose of this paper is to explore the comparison between these two religions and by studying the two sacred books, hadiths and other sources of information with an intention of ascertaining that while there are many irreconcilabledifferencesbetween Christianity and Islam, ultimately, these two religions are by far the most similar of all religions and that their similarities in beliefs and values far transcend the differences in expansion that the world has witnessed over the years.
Both Christianity and Islam originated from the Middle East.According to Broedel, the two religions have their roots in Judaism; a monotheist religion which greatly influenced not only Islam and Christianity but also other religions of the world (“The Koran, the Torah and the Gospel”).*
Among other beliefs, both religions inherently believe in the existence of one true God (King James BibleIs. 4.46; Al-Quran Surah 5:76).Moreover, Christians and Muslims believe that good deeds on eart...
... middle of paper ...
...adherents of the two religions. Whether it is Christianity or Islam that is the right choice should be left to God whom we both acknowledge to be the ultimate judge.
AL-QUR'AN: A Contemporary Translation by Ahmed Ali,NJ: Princeton University Press, 1984.
Broedel G. Brian. The Koran, the Torah and the Gospel. A brief examination of the Koran as it
Relates to Islam, Judaism and Christianity.12 June 2010.
Geisler, Norman L. and Saleeb, Abdul, Answering Islam: The Crescent in the Light of the Cross,
MI: Baker Books, 1993. 207-319.Print.
Gaudeul, Jean-Marie Encounters and Clashes: Islam and Christianity in History, vol.2.Rome:
PISAI, 2000. Print.
Poniewozik, James. "TV Makes a Too-Close Call." Time 20 Nov. 2000: 70-71. Print.
The King James Bible, New York: American Bible Society, 1999. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Compare and Contrast Judaism, Christianity, and Islam Human beings have always been curious about the meaning and purpose of life. Religions try to answer the curiosity people have about there being a higher source, typically identifying this greater domination as God. Some beliefs teach that there is only one G-d this is defined as a monotheistic religion. Some examples of monotheistic religions are Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Although each sect has a different perspective on teachings and beliefs they have one common thread; the belief in a singular deity.... [tags: Religion]
818 words (2.3 pages)
- Christianity vs. Islam Christianity and Islam are two of the world’s largest religions. The two are different in beliefs but are similar in origin. Like many religions both Islam and Christianity claim to be the one and only true way to God. Although Islam and Christianity differ in major ways, they also share some similarities. Islam teaches that in order to achieve true peace of mind and surety of heart, one must submit to God or “Allah” and live according to His revealed Law. Being a Muslim requires willful submission and active obedience to God and living in accordance with His message.... [tags: Christianity Islam Compare Contrast Essays]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- The two largest religions in the world, Christianity and Islam, were implemented by two of religions most powerful leaders, Jesus and Muhammad. Without question, both Jesus and Muhammad have affected humanity powerfully. As religious leaders both men laid down the principles upon which Christianity and Islam are founded yet today. However, while Jesus performed miracles and arose from the dead, thus proving to his followers he was God, Muhammad performed no such feats, and made no such claims. In fact, Muhammad’s only claim was that he was the last prophet sent from God.... [tags: Religion Compare Christianity Islam]
2097 words (6 pages)
- In both Christian and Islamic religions, a monotheistic religion applies. Jesus is the embodiment of Christ and Mohammed is the profit that lives through Allah. Both of those leaders are the main pillars of each of their religions. Both live lives that were in a condense to each of the religions the correct way to live. For each of the religions both Jesus and Mohammed are what every single follower aspires to live like. They lived rigious and just lives. Their deaths marked the start of new religions.... [tags: Compare Contrast Islam Christianity]
1304 words (3.7 pages)
- As of today, the world’s two largest religions Christianity and Islam share an estimated 3.6 billion members, more than half of the world’s population. On the surface, they appear to have almost nothing in common, however, as one goes beyond the surface and examines the other factors such as the rituals, beliefs, ethics, founders, and convictions, the two religions share many similarities. However, in order to truly see and understand these similarities and differences, one must date back to the rise and birth of Christianity and Islam.... [tags: Theology, religion, compare, contrast]
2607 words (7.4 pages)
- At the first glance, Islam and Christianity appear to have nothing in common, however; as you go beyond the surface, they appear to have many similarities such as their beliefs of God, their beliefs of life after death, their holy scriptures, and their prayers. These religions, although are two entirely different beliefs, share a similar origin. Like many other religions, they both claim to be the one and only true way to God. In order to truly see and understand their similarities, one must date back to the rise and birth of Christianity and Islam.... [tags: Islam, Culture, Religion]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- Similarities and Differences between Christianity, Judaism and Islam There are many similarities and differences between Judaism, Christianity and Islam. There are also many differences that separate the three major religions of the world. This paper will delve into all three of them. The major similarities that all three religions share are that they are all monotheistic. This all means that they believe in one god and that he is the supreme ruler of all things. They also believe that all things are created equal under one god.... [tags: Compare Contrast]
741 words (2.1 pages)
- Comparing Christianity and Islam Christianity and Islam are two of the fastest growing religions, and they both have a lot in common. In this essay I will explain their differences and similarities, their messages, how they treat their believers and other religions, their historical relationship, and other topics along these lines. I will start this essay by explaining Christianity, and many things about it. The word “Christianity” itself, means “Believer in Christ.” If you are a believer in this religion, you are called a “Christian”.... [tags: Compare Contrast Religions Essays]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Comparing Islam and Christianity Although they share several basic theological ideas, Christianity and Islam differ on countless key characteristics. The most prominent differences include atonement, the identity of God, heaven, view of Jesus, and the perception of the Christian Bible. It is these not-so-subtle contrasts of thoughts that separate the two most prevalent religions in the world. One of the most important differences in Christianity and Islam is the concept of atonement. In Christianity, Jesus’ death on the cross allows Christians to repent from their sins and gain forgiveness from God.... [tags: Religion Compare Contrast Christian Muslim]
738 words (2.1 pages)
- Comparing Women's Roles in Christianity and Islam Christianity Concept of God: Christians believe the image of God to be three Gods merged into one.... [tags: Compare Contrast Religion Religious]
1176 words (3.4 pages)