Johann Sebastian Bach was born on March 21st, 1685, in the small town of Eisenach, Thurngia, which is modern day Germany. Bach was the eighth and youngest child born to Johann Ambrosius and Maria Elisabetha Bach. For all of Bach’s childhood he was exposed to music; He was part a long line of family musicians. His father was a court musician, and one of his uncles introduced him to the organ. In this time period, the name Bach was almost synonymous with music. In 1695, when Bach was ten years old, both of his parents both died.
Sergei Rachmaninoff was born almost two-hundred years after Bach, on April 2, 1873. Rachmaninoff was born in Oneg, Russia Rachmaninoff had five siblings, all of who were musical. When Rachmaninoff was ten years old, his parents separated. Sergei's father Vasily had a problem with spending too much money and had amassed a large amount of debt. He soon separated from his wife, and the Rachmaninoff family was forced to sell their est...
... middle of paper ...
...ost talented composers of the modern age, and possibly of all time.
Grabbe, Paul. "Johann Sebastian Bach." The Story of One Hundred Symphonic Favorites. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 1940. 2. Print.
Shannon, Martin. “ ‘Soli Deo Gloria.’ ” In The Sacred Choral Music of J.S.Bach: A Handbook, edited by John Butt. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press, 1997. 117. Print.
Teachout, Terry. "What Was The Matter With Rachmaninoff? (Music).(Composer Sergei Rachmaninoff)." Commentary 6 (2002): 47. General OneFile. Web. 18 Feb. 2014.
Wade-Matthews, Max, and Wendy Thompson. The Encyclopedia of Music: Musical Instruments and the Art of Music-making. New York: Barnes & Noble, 2007. 304. Print.
Wade-Matthews, Max, and Wendy Thompson. The Encyclopedia of Music: Musical
Instruments and the Art of Music-making. New York: Barnes & Noble, 2007. 426. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It is a big step from high school to college. The goal of this paper is to help prepare you by sharing, from personal experience, what to expect in the transition. I will compare and contrast high school life and college life. Several changes include, difference between high school teachers and college professors, the workload requirements, and the overall responsibility requirements. In high school, the personnel seem to watch out for students almost like they are their own children. They guide them and correct them if necessary.... [tags: comparison compare/contrast]
579 words (1.7 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Tragedy and Comedy A tragedy is defined as beginning with a problem that affects everyone, i.e. the whole town or all the characters involved, the tragic hero must solve this problem and this results in his banishment or death [run-on sentence]. A comedy is defined as also beginning with a problem, but one of less significant importance. The characters try to solve the problem and the story ends with all the characters uniting in either a marriage of a party. Although these two genres are seen as being complete opposites of each other, through further analysis one can gather that though they are different certain similarities can also be seen.... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Comedy and Tragedy In a comparison of comedy and tragedy, I will begin by looking at narrative. The narration in a comedy often involves union and togetherness as we see in the marriage scene at the end of Midsummer's Night Dream. William Hazlitt tells us that one can also expect incongruities, misunderstandings, and contradictions. I am reminded of the play The Importance of Being Ernest and the humor by way of mistaken identity. Sigmund Freud tells us to expect excess and exaggeration in comedy.... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
902 words (2.6 pages)
- It is said that history is shaped by the lives of great men. Great men are leaders. They bring about change; they improve the lives of others; they introduce new ideas, models, and theories to society. Most of the world's religions were founded, developed, or discovered by great men. Two particular religions - Christianity and Buddhism - developed in different parts of the world, under different circumstances, and in different social atmospheres. But each religion is based upon the teachings of a great man. When one compares the life of Buddha with the life of Jesus, one finds that the two share many things in common. This essay aims to compare and contrast the lives of Buddha1 and... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
3762 words (10.7 pages)
- There are many ways to compare and contrast high school life versus college life. Some of the things to compare and contrast are the student life, the faculty, and the athletic structure. One way to compare and contrast high school life and college life is student population. The population in college far exceeds high school enrollment. In high school the average number of students is seven hundred fifty and in college the average number of students is approximately seven thousand. Also, in college the authority figures are less visible than in high school.... [tags: Compare Contrast Comparison]
475 words (1.4 pages)
- Compare and Contrast the Divine Machinery of the Odyssey and the Aeneid The Aeneid is a poem of Fate, which acts as an ever-present determinant, and as such Aeneas is entirely in the hands of destiny. The unerring and inexorable passage of fate, assisted by the Gods' intervention, is impossible to prevent and its path does create many victims along the way, who are expendable for Rome to be created. In the Aeneid, mortals suffer, no matter what they do or how good a life they lead and they are unable to rely on the Gods for assistance.... [tags: comparison compare contrast compody]
3326 words (9.5 pages)
- Compare & Contrast The Rocking Horse Winner and The Destructors In D.H. Lawerence's short story, “The Rocking Horse Winner”, and Grahm Greene's “The Destructors, there are many truths to consider. Although these two stories are considerably different, the message is the same. Whether in a life-like story, such as “The Destructors”, or a fantacy, like “The Rocking Horse Winner”, the seeds of materialism are planted and nourished in lives of the characters. The aspects of materialism in these two stories develop desired conclusions by its characters. In order to understand the similar message of Greene short story “The Destructors” and Lawerence's “The Rocking Horse Winner”, one must sc... [tags: comparison compare contrast essays]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- I enjoy being a college student more than being a high school student. In the time that I have been in college, I have seen that more freedom is allowed to students in college than in high school. Such choices as the note taking, the environment, or class selection are a few examples of how college is less restrictive than high school. Because of the educational freedom and having more control over my education, I find being a college student more enjoyable than being a high school student. In high school, the classes that students take appear to be easy.... [tags: Compare Contrast Comparison]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- Compare and Contrast Low Carbohydrate Diets and Low Fat Diets The two most popular methods to lose weight are the low carbohydrate diets and the low fat diets. Both are in complete contrast when it comes to each diet’s food choices, the low carbohydrate diet which completely breaks the food pyramid limits a person to eating foods that are high in carbohydrates, such as bread, pasta and rice, while on the other hand, the low fat diet which follow the food pyramid limits a person to eat foods that are high in fat like meat, milk, and bean groups.... [tags: Comparison Compare Contrast Essays]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Compare/Contrast Cinderella Essay â€œThe Walt Disney Company is a powerful economic and cultural phenomenon known throughout the United States and the world as a provider of family entertainment (Maltin, 1, 308). Its media and entertainment holdings establish it as a central communicator in contemporary life. As such, it provides many of the first narratives children use to learn about the worldâ€. (Ward, 1). Disney has always been family oriented making it one of the main attractions of reading something Disney.... [tags: Essays Compare Vietnam Essays]
1244 words (3.6 pages)