On average, when people think about community service, they assume that volunteering is just ‘hours we need to be able to graduate’ and that is it. Community service is more than just hours; community service is based on the acts performed by someone with the purpose of helping or bringing benefits to his or her community. People frequently compare community service as a punishment since it is often offered to small-time offenders as an alternative to fines or jail time. However, community service is the vital force to many communities since they depend on the service made by the volunteers to be able to grow (The Importance of Volunteers). Nowadays, the words “community service” and “volunteering” are being used constantly. People tend to forget or misunderstand the real meaning or significance of volunteering. By exploring the history and significance of volunteering in the United States, people can develop a culture of volunteering and enrich their lives and make a positive social contribution.
Being a volunteer means that, that person is giving his or her time and skills to help their own community and those in needs, whether in a service, project or organization. People cannot confuse volunteering with a regular job since volunteers are not paid, and
they just use their gratis time to help others, without expecting something in return (Student Essay on The Importance of Community Service).
We persistently see community service and volunteering as a waste of time and unproductive act, but we need to take into account the seriousness these two topics ...
... middle of paper ...
...ans, Book Summaries and More. Web. 03 Oct. 2011.
"The Importance of Volunteers." The Importance of Volunteers. Web. 14 Dec. 2011.
"Volunteer Appreciation Quotes, Sayings of Thanks for Volunteering." The Quote Garden - Quotes, Sayings, Quotations, Verses. Web. 14 Dec. 2011.
"Volunteering." KidsHealth - the Web's Most Visited Site about Children's Health. Web. 05 Dec. 2011.
"Volunteering Quotes :: Finest Quotes." Source for Famous Quotes, Inspirational Quotes & Sayings :: Finest Quotes. Web. 05 Dec. 2011.
"What Is Volunteering." Kids’ Why Questions. Web. 05 Dec. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” ― Barack Obama It all started when I was in high-school. I volunteered at Helping Hands, Meals on Wheels, and Habitat for Humanity. These volunteering experiences opened my eyes to the needs of my community and the many opportunities for community service. After high-school, I started volunteering with a variety of organizations.... [tags: Contribution to My Community]
418 words (1.2 pages)
- Nowadays, it is very difficult to get a job without a College Diploma. Our ever-increasing demands on student’s academic performances have insured well-educated adults, but what we have failed to focus on is the vital component of volunteerism as an integral part of rearing well-rounded adults. College students should be required to complete a year of community service/volunteer work before they can graduate, in order to create mature and caring adults and versatile future leaders. By mandating all College students across the United States of America to add another year to their studies and use this year for community service/volunteer work only, we will be able to increase their knowledge o... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- The Forcing of Young People into Community or Government Service Some people suggest that everyone between the ages of 18 and 21 should be required to perform one year of community or government service. Such service might include the Peace Corps, Environmental Conservancy Corps, a hospital, the military, a rural or inner-city school, or other community outreach projects. I believe forcing the service of any group of people is a bad idea. In this case, three reasons come to mind as to what makes this idea bad.... [tags: Teenagers Community Service Volunteering Essays]
690 words (2 pages)
- Should High School Students be required to do Community Service. Communities are places where people whom share similar characteristics, live together. People generally live in communities as a tendency to socialize with other people and satisfy needs such as food and shelter. The magnitude of needs within a small group is quenched within a family or extending to a nearby neighbor. Many people in a community have more needs and to solve those needs there are specific departments such as a police department that serve peoples’ best interests.... [tags: Service, Volunteering]
631 words (1.8 pages)
- "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead Volunteerism, in its conceptual form, includes the individual or collective efforts of willing individuals, known as volunteers, to act in ways which work toward the betterment of oneself, other individuals, communities, and/or society. This definition remains subjective in its ambiguity regarding the meaning of betterment, as well as in the sense that the means to bettering oneself may be in direct opposition to the means necessary to better another individual or society.... [tags: Community Service, Service Learning]
4129 words (11.8 pages)
- Community Service is a great opportunity to make a difference in the area you live in. There are so many ways to volunteer. Some people are given chances to do community service when they need to pay off fines for tickets. Most people simply do because they love getting involved. It’s their way of making the community a cleaner, healthier place. Tutoring kids is one type of community service. I can say from experience teaching kids to learn is a great feeling. I know because I’ve been tutoring kids for almost seven months.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
439 words (1.3 pages)
- Volunteering for a Food Drive "I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat before we go." It was around ten o'clock on a Saturday morning. Normally my parents might find me in bed or playing on the computer at this time, but I was dressed and grasping the doorknob in our kitchen on this particular morning. I felt a slight wave of hunger flow through my body, so I suggested to my mother that we have a light mid-morning snack to tide us over before lunch. I searched through a cupboard and found some crackers to take with us.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
1277 words (3.6 pages)
- "He who wishes to secure the good of others, has already secured his own." - Confucius "Caring has the gift of making the ordinary special." - George R. Bach Filing. The word itself made me shudder. The hours spent kneeling at the cabinet searching for folders, the monotony of sorting hundreds of papers into piles, and the sharp sting of pain as my finger hit the edge of a peer at the wrong angle – it was tortuous on so many levels. It had only been 3 months since I’d started volunteering at the hospital, and already I was sick of it.... [tags: Essays on Volunteering]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- As Henry the 8th said to one of his wives, "I won't keep you long". Good evening, members and guests. The average American high school student is in school 7 hours a day, from 8AM to 3PM and is asleep 9 hours a day, from 10PM to 7AM. Over the years, I have noticed that San Mateo County high school students are not your average American high school students. Most of us are at school from sunrise to sunset, club meeting here, track meet there, "mom. I'll be home for dinner by six!" That's 10 hours a day at school.... [tags: Contribution to My Community Service]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- Community Service I have always been involved in groups that perform community service projects. In fact, I was recently elected to as VP of Public Relations of the Student MOVE group. We are a group of 12 individuals that are the advisory committee for all of the community service organizations on campus, but we organize many alternative activities and events. I even did a service learning project for my Spanish class last semester with Cynthia Wells. I attended the Spanish mass every Sunday, and I was a greeter.... [tags: Volunteering Volunteerism Essays]
1772 words (5.1 pages)