An interesting side note to Barbers resume, however not a minor part when considering his influence, he is Chief Education Advisor to the academic publisher Pearson. Pearson, in 2013, was ordered to pay a settlement of 7.7 million dollars to New York Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman. It was determined that Pearson had created a non-profit educational division, Pearson Charitable Foundation, for the sole purpose of creating Common Core products to generate millions of dollars for Pearson; this is illegal as “non-profit foundations cannot misuse charitable assets to benefit their affiliated for-profit corporations” (Pearson pays $7.7 million in Common Core settleme...
... middle of paper ...
...ment at the helm and determining what American children will be taught.
Kendall, J. S. (2011). Understanding common core state standards. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
zancanello, d., & moore, m. (2014). The origins of common fore: untold stories. Language Arts, 91(4), 273-279.
Layton, L. (2013, December 13). Pearson pay $7.7 million in Common Core Settlement. Washington Post. Retrieved May 6, 2014, from http://www.washingtonpost.com/
Preparing America's students for success.. (n.d.). Home. Retrieved May 6, 2014, from http://www.corestandards.org/
Newman, A. (2013). Educators expose the dangers of common core national education. The New American, 29(30), 31-32. Retrieved April 25, 2014, from the ProQuest database.
Norton, O. (2013, May 11). Indoctrination in Common Core ELA Texts. YouTube. Retrieved May 8, 2014, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGph7QHzmo8
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- An Analysis of Common Core Introduction “The more states that adopt these college and career based standards, the closer we will be to sharing innovation across state borders and becoming more competitive as a country,” according to Bill Gates, Co-Chair, of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (Quotes from Supporters, n.d.). The standards that Mr. Gates is alluding to in his quote are the Common Core, these are a set of educational learning goals particularly targeted to Mathematic and English literacy of what students should be able to do at each grade level; developed to make students’ college and career ready from grades kindergarten through 12th.... [tags: Education, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Its three main areas: • Teaching. The foundation supports hard work to fair and thorough teacher comment with the goal of identifying areas in need of improvement as well as areas of success. • Learning. Gates takes the goal of the common basic to become part of the form of schools in the United States. The foundation supports classroom material development and achievement that not only increase the students learning and understanding the abstractions , but also those that help teachers and students work together to ease critical thinking skills .... [tags: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates]
1687 words (4.8 pages)
- In 2010 Common core was first implemented in Kentucky through local school districts; later accepted by forty-one other states, the district of Columbia, four territories, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. Nine of those areas have reported doubt in common core and expressed interest in reverting back. Many believe those states only accepted the curriculum due to the large amount money provided to the states and schools that accepted. 4.35 billion dollars was offered in the stimulus package that went along with the program.... [tags: Education, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1052 words (3 pages)
- In 2010 Common Core was first implemented in Kentucky through local school districts; later accepted by forty-one other states, the district of Columbia, four territories, and the Department of Defense Education Activity. Nine of those areas have reported doubt in Common Core and expressed interest in reverting back. Many believe those states only accepted the curriculum due to the large amount money provided to the states and schools that accepted. 4.35 billion dollars was offered in the stimulus package that went along with the program.... [tags: Education, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Most high school students dream of attending college after high school. The know that an education will earn them more money, get them better jobs and give them the opportunity do what they want in life. The problem is; between 2006 and 2016, nearly 4.5 million students won’t pursue college degrees because their families can’t afford higher education (Gates Foundation, 2009). Furthermore, only a little of half of those who do start college full-time to obtain a 4-year degree finish. Of those students who attend community college less than 3 out of 10 finish with the Associate’s Degree (Complete College.org, 2009).... [tags: Importance of Education]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Although most senators, representatives and school officials support common core state standards (CCSS), they have not received or researched the history of how CCSS introduced itself. Furthermore, they do not understand that local control is being taken away, which results in the eventual destruction of excellent, local schools, students, and future generations. Two private trade organizations located in Washington, D.C, wrote the CCSS at the request of Achieve, a company created by Bill and Melinda Gates.... [tags: common core state standards]
1689 words (4.8 pages)
- Technology has evolved rapidly in the past decades and has impacted society in both positive and negative areas. Specifically, the educational setting that has embraced technology by providing teachers with a variety of tools such as computers and LED projectors to engage students in the material. In addition, many schools have provided students with their own laptops to use during the school year to develop the technological, critical thinking and cooperative learning skills to compete in our global developed society.However, as teenagers develop more computer skills,they pay less attention.... [tags: Bill Gates, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation]
2441 words (7 pages)
- Brooks, J. G. and Deitz, Mary E. “The dangers and opportunities of the common core”. Educational Leadership, December 2012-January 2013. 70(4), 64-67. Jacqueline Brooks serves as Associate Professor at Hofstra University in the Department of Curriculum and Teaching. A published author and noted instructor. Mary Deitz, professor at Northwestern University. Critical Thinking and Feminist/Gender Studies are the areas in which she concentrates. Authored books, papers and articles in the area of education.... [tags: United States, Education, School, Teacher]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Compare to other nations, foreign students are outpacing American students in mathematics, science, and reading literacy. To illustrate how U.S. students are lagging internationally, figure 1 shows mathematics and science scores from the 2012 program for international student assessment. In 2001, America passed the No Child Left Behind act with a purpose of “providing all children with a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education”. Because the No Child Left Behind act failed to exceed state standards, common core was created in 2009.... [tags: Education, High school]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- Easy Answers in Common Core State Standards In an effort for the United States to remain competitive in the Global Economy, it is agreed by everyone that Education is key. However, in Learning Curve 2014, a report compiled Economist Intelligence Unit and Pearson ranked the United States as number 14 out of 40 developed countries and regions for Cognitive Skills and Educational Attainment (20). Our global economy has shifted us from a manufacturing based economy to a service based industry which requires advanced technical, creative and analytical skills.... [tags: Education, High school, School, Teacher]
1145 words (3.3 pages)