Coming into college I was extremely motivated to do the best that I could in everyone of my classes and I was expecting all of my courses to be education major-based, but I was proven wrong. Turns out I was only going to take one course that taught about education and that was this intro to education course. I was so excited to finally take a part of the school system from a different point of view and I thought that the lecture portion was just discussing what we experienced while we were in the field, but boy was I wrong. In reality this course was a lot of work. The lectures contained a lot of information that I didn’t think I would learn about until a couple years into the major and the courses’ homework seemed impossible at the time, of course it got easier throughout the semester, but I still struggle with some of the assignments. “Even though it is early in my first semester I am already overwhelmed with all the information that is thrown at me and the expectations that the professors have”(Roberts, 2015d). Now, within field placement I learned a lot of different strategies and teaching styles, but I know that’s not what you are looking for in this paper. Within the course and the lectures I have changed a concept or at least it is in the process. I’d like to say that my belief or opinion of motivation and goals has totally changed. From a student to the process of a teacher, I have realized a whole different side of motivation and a new set of goals.
From a student’s perspective the term motivation can be totally different than what a teacher’s motives are. Through field placement I learned and have different motives than I once had before. From when I first started school, yes back in kindergarten, it was always ...
... middle of paper ...
...mething right as a teacher. When I realized that my goals changed in the school system I knew it was the beginning of the change for me. “To me, teaching is more than just the teaching the subject, but helping the students grow as a whole”(Roberts, 2015e). Now that I look back I realize that this was a change from being selfish to selfless. Before my goals and motivation was only for me, but I am now learning that I want to bring motivation to the students, like my teachers once did for me.
While reading some of the articles that Dr. Vrooman assigned to us, one particular one still stands out to me. This specific article is by Freire and he discusses how there are flaws in the education system(Freire). Before, I thought the education system was absolutely fine the way that it was when I was in high school, but throughout field placement my beliefs have changed
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This year, all I wanted to was to get over the semester. I really never had my priorities straight. I always thought that college has been just a place where you meet new people, and also a place where you have fun. But now that I had to face the actual struggles of college, I had to learn that college wasn’t just about having fun and playing games. Waiting for the clock to tell me when the class was over wasn’t my main priority. My main priority after half of the semester was to get as much information I could possibly from my professors.... [tags: Essay, Writing, Learning, Skill]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- The year is almost over, meaning the time spent growing and learning new linguistic and writing strategies is coming to a close. Looking back on the long journey I have experienced first-hand, I have noticed growth with every piece that I wrote. At times the class was stressful, but it was always an extreme accomplishment to finish a paper and grow and develop as a writer. First semester, I set goals that I felt would be attainable, yet beneficial for the AP exam. The goals I established were to become more creative in my writing, expand my use of rhetorical strategies, and improve my vocabulary.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Linguistics, Piece]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- The College Experience Through Film - Original Writing It's too early for this, this smell, this man, any of it. I can't deal with any stories of Vietnam glory or any droning on about American history. But this look in my eyes, this total lack of interest is not enough to stop Kirk Slegel. He is, and always has been, a man on a mission. Slegel begins his accustomed pace and I know exactly how things are going. All of us know. We are the seasoned hardened veterans of Kirk Slegel-a veteran in his own right, and his honors history class.... [tags: Papers]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- When I was eight years old, my parents decided that I was not being challenged in the elementary school that I was attending. They decided that the best direction for my education would be to home-school me. When they told me, I felt a mix of emotions. I was happy that I would no longer be bored doing school work, however, I was sad that I would no longer be able to go to school with all of the friends I made. Living where we did, in Burlington, North Carolina, all of my friends and I lived within two blocks of one another.... [tags: High school, College, Homeschooling]
706 words (2 pages)
- Remember the Champions - Original Writing "Sit at the back," said the bus driver. He was white; being black I had to sit at the back. As I was walking down the aisle to the back seat, I stumbled, and with a loud thump, I fell flat on my face, and the passengers burst out laughing. I looked back and saw a white student's leg spread across the aisle. It was my first year in college, and it had already started like this. I helped myself up and sat in the back seat. "Don't worry they always do that, just don't pay any attention to them, and watch yourself, it's dangerous with all these whites." "Tom Robinson nice to meet you" "Will Houston" I said shaking hands w... [tags: Papers]
883 words (2.5 pages)
- Minnesota Dreamer - Original Writing Even if I didn’t have a dream, I always had a plan. In college, I learned to be responsible and organized and to set goals that I could attain. Then everything changed. I’ll never forget my final week from college last year. Days away from graduation and miles away from home, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I left the hospital alone, in devastation. Unsure of what my future would hold, I shed countless tears. Although close friends eased the pain, I could not hide from them my fear of facing death.... [tags: Free Essays]
404 words (1.2 pages)
- Coral Cliff - Original Writing It was a cold and windy night. The trees moved vigorously as the wind blew. The silence was frightening. Carol’s face became red because of the cold. She was driving as fast as she could through Elmore street- the longest road in Sydney. Usually people came here if they were in a mood for a long drive, but Carol was going for Julia’s party. Carol had refused to come at first but Julia wouldn’t accept any excuses from anyone since it was her last birthday in Australia.... [tags: Papers]
691 words (2 pages)
- Coming to Terms It's not a light bulb that suddenly turns on. It's not a bolt of lightning that strikes you without pain. It's more like a boot; a steel toe boot that literally drops out of the sky and kicks you directly in the face, knocking out the majority of your teeth and smashing your nose into a bloody mess. That's more what it's like when you come to a realization. All that talk of a magical epiphany is left in the dust while the boot moves on to its next victim. It doesn't let you see through some new set of eyes; it dulls your other senses so that all you can do is see.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Antiquated Schmantiquated – Keep the Records Coming I get by because of the people who make a special effort to shop here Saturdays…young men who seem to spend a disproportionate amount of their time looking for deleted Smiths singles and “ORIGINAL NOT RERELEASED” underlined Frank Zappa albums. ~Nick Hornby, High Fidelity As I walked into Second Coming Records in Cambridge, Massachusetts on a cloudy, humid June afternoon I was thrilled to find that one of the guys behind the counter had put on an album by the Vibrators, a band I adore.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
2375 words (6.8 pages)
- My Mid-night Experience - Original Writing As I was walking down the street, I felt the cold night air filling my lungs and the sound of my feet echoing with each step that I took. There were no cars going by, as it was midnight there was no sound at all, not even the drunken man that lives just down the street. I was walking under a bridge when suddenly I saw two guys walking over to me. At first I was very worried, like when you know something is going to happen, a bad feeling, but then I thought to myself, why would something happen now.... [tags: Papers]
1415 words (4 pages)