Those interested in pursuing a career in firefighting are faced with many options when it comes to selecting a department to apply to. Attaining a career with Columbus Fire is often a goal of students in Central Ohio, and for good reason.
The Columbus Division of Fire is a large organization that hires candidates using a standard civil service hiring process every two years (unless there is not a need). This means that if the city has enough employees at the end of the two-year cycle to continue operations they can opt to forgo a testing process until it is needed. (City of Columbus)
By nature, the civil service hiring process gives no preference to candidates who have received training in their prospective field. No matter what a candidate’s level of fire training, they will be required, upon hire, to attend the Ohio Fire Academy to obtain (or re-obtain) their 240-hour State Of Ohio firefighting certification. This means that fire science students aspiring to join CFD will duplicate their efforts. With over 6,000 applicants in 2011 the odds of obtaining a position at CFD seem slim. The odds of obtaining a position at Columbus Fire might seem unrealistic to some, but I believe that my research will show that there are plenty of reasons why so many people want to work for Columbus Fire.
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this report is to evaluate The Columbus Division of Fire as a potential employer for Columbus State fire science students.
In this report I will focus on desirable traits the Columbus Division of fire are looking for, as well as the City’s hiring process, training requirements, offered benefits, probationary period, promotional opportunities, and departmental structure. I will also...
... middle of paper ...
...will continue to rise, and the department’s heavy run volume shows that the need for firefighters will only grow with the city. This makes The Columbus Division of Fire an extraordinary employer for Columbus State Fire Science students.
"City of Columbus." Columbus Firefighter ~ Fire Selection Process. Columbus Division of Fire, n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2014.
Hall, William T. "Phone Interview With William T. Hall." Telephone interview. 05 Mar. 2014.
"HISTORY Stations No.2 & No.3." Columbusfirestation2. Columbus Fire Station 2, n.d. Web. 10 Feb. 2014.
"OhioFirefighters.com - Columbus Fire Department Station and Apparatus Information." OhioFirefighters.com - Columbus Fire Department Station and Apparatus Information. Ohio Firefighters, n.d. Web. 15 Mar. 2014.
Ulry, Dylan. Personal interview. 06 Mar. 2014.
Vajm, Dassy L. E-mail interview. 10 Apr. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Human Resources The division of a company that is focused on activities relating to employees is what is called, human resources. It is subjected to the responsibilities in a company or business such as: payroll, benefits, hiring, firing, and being up to date with both federal and state regulations. Human resource services are usually assigned into four categories: PEOs, BPOs, ASPs, or e-services. However, human resource’s main overall main goal is to make an adequate use of the employees, reducing risk and maximizing returns on investments.... [tags: Human resource management, Human resources]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
- Do you know that employers are overly concerned with the employees they hire nowadays, unlike in the recent past. Now you do. Essentially, the process of hiring an employee can have a great impact on the future of a company, and hence there are several key concerns employers raise during interviews. In fact, according to a recent research, it has emerged that finding and keeping the right employee has become one of the trendiest issues with employers nowadays. This can be attributed to the fact that HR professionals believe that only the top talent is quite indispensable to the company’s success especially during the modern day harsh economic times.... [tags: job interviews, hiring process, human resources]
694 words (2 pages)
- An Ethical and Diverse Hiring Process The downturn of the global economy has instigated companies to re evaluate their workforce. How do we work smarter, more efficient and become a leaner diverse workforce to meet the competitive challenges. The base line process is hiring the best resources available that can be a fit for the culture, have the skills required, enjoy where they work and feel like they are contributing. Diversity in the work place is among the top points on most companies mission statement.... [tags: Global Economy, Adverse Impact]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- However, when higher level positions such as the one in discussion (supervisory) require increased levels of skills, education, knowledge, and experience the recruitment process becomes more complicated. “Efforts must be made to target a more limited pool of qualified individuals and attract them to the public service” (Nigro & Kellough, 2014, 71). This is when that well-informed team of recruiters that I previously mentioned come into play. Their job is to recruit individuals by making the public sector more appealing compared to their counterpart the private sector.... [tags: Employment, Discrimination, Recruitment]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Looks and appearance have always dominated Hollywood culture and the actors and actresses that play roles in movies; also the popularity contest among teens in high-school. Bulimia and anorexia plague women and men throughout the United States. Today’s society is dominated by the obsession of appearances. But how far has this fixation gone. Has this Hollywood mentality taken over the otherwise standard way of running a business and the process of hiring one’s employees in a way not determined by weight.... [tags: Human Resource Management ]
2594 words (7.4 pages)
- Introduction During this assignment I researched two major companies. The companies that I have looked into are O’Reilly Auto Parts and Advance Auto Parts. For both stores the requirements for a store manager are somewhat the same. The store manager is responsible for operations of the store, the appearance of the store, and the store sales. I will discuss the selection process of hiring. I will also explain the advantages and disadvantages of hiring internally and externally. Company Comparison O’Reilly objectives are to guarantee store projects proper O’Reilly image, show steady sales growth, functions as a profit center, and follow policies and procedures aimed at ensuring the company ope... [tags: Management, Recruitment, Advance Auto Parts]
715 words (2 pages)
- Introduction This paper will show four different police departments that are currently hiring or recruiting for police officers. There will be a summary on the research found on the process used to recruit police officers. It will also show their current hiring trends and what hiring practices they have that are successful or not successful. The paper will also go over the different methods departments use to train their new officers and their values. The Process of Recruiting Police Personal Recruiting officers is a vital job for any city, state, federal department.... [tags: Recruiting Police Personal]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- According to Noe (2012), most experts believe that the most important human resource decision makes by a leader is deciding who to hire. Manager manages the recruitment and selection process. Selection for the best candidates for the job is very important in an organization because the performance always depends on employees, the recruiting and hiring is costly and the legal obligations like mismanaging hiring has legal consequence. The main aim of employee selection is to achieve person-job fit which is identifying the knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs), and competencies that are central to performing the job.... [tags: Human Resources, Manager]
581 words (1.7 pages)
- The process of cell division plays a very important role in the everyday life of human beings as well as all living organisms. If we did not have cell division, all living organisms would cease to reproduce and eventually perish because of it. Within cell division, there are some key roles that are known as nuclear division and cytokinesis. There are two types within nuclear division. Those two types being mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis and meiosis play a very important role in the everyday life as well.... [tags: Mitosis, Meiosis, Chromosome, Cell cycle]
865 words (2.5 pages)
- The Selection Process is a systematic series of events, which results in an organization making a selection from a group of applicants. The group of applicants usually consists of individuals who best meet the selection criteria for the position available. A lot of people graduating from college will most certainly ask themselves, “just what’s involved in the selection process from a HR managers perspective, or referred to in most cases as the interviewer.” Lets take a look at the selection process, since trying to land that job of a lifetime is one of the primary reasons why most students decide to continue their education.... [tags: Applicant Selection Business HR Human Resources]
4846 words (13.8 pages)