Ideology is defined as the representation of the imaginary relationship of the individuals to the real conditions of their existence. This creates an air of false consciousness that conceals the truth, controls class conflicts, and maintains the status quo. Ideological State Apparatuses, the institutions in which ideology operates, imposes onto individuals a designated role, or forme, and restricts their ability to transcend those objective roles. Since humans cannot recognize themselves outside of their assigned ideologies, they must acquire their identities by seeing themselves through the perception of others. (Althusser 12)
Advocates for colorblind ideology share the notion that the best way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to end any form of discriminating on the basis o...
... middle of paper ...
...ooks, Bell. Killing rage: ending racism. New York: H. Holt and Co., 1995. Print.
King, Martin Luther. I have a dream. New York: Scholastic Press, 1997. Print.
McCabe, Jeffery. Doing Multiculturalism: An Interactionist Analysis of the Practices of Multiculturalism. New York: Journal of Contemporary Ethnography, 2010. 40 (5), 521-549.
Micek, John. "Central PA."The Patriot-News. Penn Live, 9 Dec. 2013. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
Song, Sarah, Song,. "Multiculturalism."Stanford University. Stanford University, 24 Sept. 2010. Web. 11 Dec. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Most people would agree when I say that racism is a disease in our society that has been uncured for as long as anyone can remember. Even after the enactment of many anti-racism laws, racism still has not been eradicated. Andrew Leon Hanna from Duke University explains in his article, “Racism: A Global Issue Desperate for Unity”, that racism is a global issue in need of unity. He argues that, if everyone unites in an effort to end racism, we will eventually be able to stop it for good. However, his argument will not work because waiting for everyone to unite is going to take a long time.... [tags: combat racism, colorblind idelogy]
1304 words (3.7 pages)
- When someone mentions “witch hunts”, we tend to think about the witchcraft trials that took place during the 14th-16th centuries in Europe or even the Salem Witch trials that accorded during the beginnings of America. Fueled by mass hysteria and fear, the results of these trials ended in burnings or lynching of those believed to be associated with witchcraft. At the heart of these trials we find the influence of society (i.e., widespread fear) and politics which in this case involved the legal courts.... [tags: Gender Ideology]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Not just any plan will do. You need a plan that will lead you out of bondage and into freedom. July of this year marks the fifteenth anniversary of my being involved in the ministry of helping people recover from their addictions and life-controlling habits. I have been working on the concept of this book for the last six or seven years. As I look back over these years, a lot of things have taken place in my family, my ministry, and my life. I can truly say that God is no respecter of persons.... [tags: god, solutions, sucess]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- “To say pan-Arabism is ‘dead’ would be inaccurate- because it was never ‘alive,’ in any meaningful sense, in the first place.” Assess viewpoints for and against this argument, with special reference to at least one appropriate country. “One Arab nation from Gulf to the Ocean,” gives meaning to the term “Pan-Arabism” in the Middle East. A notion where Arab nations transcend their state boundaries to form political mergers with other states and achieve an ‘Arab unity.’ The existence of Arab states had been tumultuous throughout the decline of the Muslim order, the end of the Ottoman Empire, the Palestinian defeat, Six Day War and Arab-Israeli war in 1973.... [tags: Arabism Ideology ]
2879 words (8.2 pages)
- Ideology can be looked at different perspectives of the way people think about it. Some people think that ideology is bad, while some people think it is good. Ideology takes a very harmful way in Christianity; Pope Francis explains to Christians that ideology drives away the church and the people. In his perspective of mind, ideology is a “serious illness.”(Dolan) In some other places such as North Korea, ideology is a “dangerous belief system.” North Koreans Ideology is most commonly referred as “Juche,” this ideology is harmful to people because most people would like to praise people who do good things, but in North Korea people have to pray to a dictator who is capable of killing, tortur... [tags: Juche Ideology, North Korea]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- Marx utilized the term ideology to discuss certain aspects of society. To begin with, “Ideology refers to those ideas that naturally emerge out of everyday life in capitalism” (Ritzer, 64). This means that ideas that come naturally in life are seen as an ideology. An example of this was provided in Four Sociological Traditions. In it, Marx discusses how men can be distinguished from animals because we have consciousness and with consciousness, men can distinguish themselves from animals as soon as we begin to produce our own means of subsistence (Sel.... [tags: Sociology, Marxism, Ideology, Antonio Gramsci]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- Possible Solutions to the Youth Violence Problem The birds are chirping, the sun is beaming down through the clouds, and you can hear the shrieks of excitement from the neighborhood park. Walking down the street, you envision raising your family on this picture-perfect street. As the vision becomes more and more detailed, however, the shot of a gun rings out from the distance. You duck behind a parked car, wondering where the bullet came from and why. Looking around, you are shocked to see a group of adolescents standing around another child, this one laying lifeless on the ground.... [tags: Solutions Essays]
1546 words (4.4 pages)
- Solutions to the Underage Drinking Problem As more and more innocent lives are taken by accidents involving alcohol, it's no wonder why the drinking age is enforced. Consumption of alcohol doesn't just pertain to drinking and driving but is also involved in teen deaths such as suicide, homicide, and other accidents including drowning. Last year, 224 Texans under the age of 21 died in traffic accidents caused by drunken drivers. How well is it being enforced though. A Gallup Youth Survey taken in May of 2001, found that 51% of teens between the ages of 13-17 said it is pretty easy to get alcohol.... [tags: Solutions Proposal Essays Alcohol]
670 words (1.9 pages)
- Bricolage: A Woman's Use of Canonical Ideology le bricolage: travail dont la technique est improvisée, adaptée aux materiaux, aux circonstances. In chapter one of The Savage Mind, Claude Leví-Strauss explains bricolage as a way of understanding the structure of mythical thought in "savage" societies. The term bricoleur can be used practically, to represent a kind of craftsman though Leví-Strauss brings the word to an analytical level, and it is with this level that we are concerned. The bricoleur's "universe of instruments is closed and the rules of his game are always to do with `whatever is at hand'" so, as a craftsman, he is conservative and ecological.... [tags: Canonical Ideology Literature]
4379 words (12.5 pages)
- Colorblind Love I met my wife Aretha in the fall of 1997; she had just moved from Portland, Oregon, to my hometown of Portland, Maine. By Christmas we were dating, and before we knew it we were both graduating and heading to Boston for college. We’re now happily married and have a one-year-old baby girl. It sounds like a classic high school sweetheart romance, right. Well, to us, yes. But to many people, we’re “different”. These people’s views have nothing to do with our love, our relationship, or our daughter.... [tags: Pesronal Narrative Ethnicity Racism Papers]
2634 words (7.5 pages)