What exactly is cancer? Our bodies reproduce and destroy billions of cells per day. It can go from one mismade cell to cells multiplying and forming a tumor. There are many abnormal cells made daily, but most of them are rejected by our body and destroyed. Our body is constantly going through a process, but it is not perfect. A cancer develops when a mistake is not corrected and it continues to produce and form a mass of abnormal cells. A lot of these mistakes go without repair and do not really affect our health, but if a new cell is able to divide and reproduce without the same procedure of a normal cell it becomes uncontrollable.
There are both benign and malignant tumors. Benign tumors do not spread beyond the tissue it is formed in, but it can still cause severe symptoms. A malignant tumor can spread through the blood or lymphatic system, which is called metastasis. This ability causes the cancer to grow in other places throughout the body and starts to multiply and form other cancerous tumors. Cancer is actually over 100 diseases that have been bundled as one under the category of cancer. These different cancers are named by tissue where it develops and if it spreads to another region of the body, it is still known as the cancer where it originated. No one cancer is the same and eac...
... middle of paper ...
...ically radiation oncologist radiation is locally administered. It is administered 5 days a week for 5 to 6 weeks and in most cases chemotherapy is delivered at the same time. Side effects of radiation are fatigue, temporary or permanent pelvic hair loss, and skin irritation in the treated areas.
Anyone that has been treated for colon cancer has to have CEA blood tests ever 3 months for 2 years, colonoscopies and CT scans are preformed once yearly for the first 2-3 years (Nugent). Patients are at risk for reappear for up to 10 years after treatment.
"Colon Cancer." Tests and Diagnosis. Mayo Clinic, 22 Aug. 2013. Web. 08 May 2014.
"Colorectal Cancer." Colon/Rectum Cancer. American Cancer Society, n.d. Web. 07 May 2014.
Nugent, Francis, MD. "Colon Cancer: Get the Facts on the Stages and Survival Rate." MedicineNet. N.p., 4 Oct. 2012. Web. 04 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “I know people are pretty well embarrassed just at the mention of colon cancer. Sticking a tube in you to find out what’s wrong is not a nice thing. But I can tell them, a 30- or 40 minute test is worth it. We have to make them feel more comfortable about getting screened.” (Eric Davis). Most people are not exactly sure what colon cancer is. Colon cancer forms in the cells of the colon walls. Colon cancer is a deadly cancer and can easily be prevented if more people were open to talking about it.... [tags: Colon Cancer ]
2308 words (6.6 pages)
- Colon cancer has becoming more prevalent in the past few decades. However, it is one of the cancers that can be prevented through positive lifestyle and eating habits. The common symptoms that are seen in colon cancer include bloody, pencil-shaped stools, weight loss, tumor growth, abnormal bowel habits, etc. As Adrouny (2002) noted, the available treatments for colon cancer can be chemotherapy, radiation, as well as surgical, the primary treatment option involved in this type of disease (P. 69).... [tags: eating habits, digestion, tumor]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- “Since 1990, over 6 million Americans have died of cancer, more than the combined casualties from the Civil war, WWII, and the Vietnam and Korean conflicts combined” (Faguet, p. 5). According to American Cancer Society projections, there were 1,529,560 new cases of cancer in 2010. Cancer is becoming more and more common around the world. New cancers are constantly being discovered. Researchers are finding new ways to detect cancer and treat it so that the fatality rate does not rise. However, there are some cancers that researchers have not yet discovered a cure for.... [tags: Cancer, Breast cancer, Prostate cancer]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Cancer The number of new cases of cancer is 454.8 per 100,000 men and women per year based on 2008-2012 cases. In 2016, an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease. Survival rates are improving for many people with cancer, especially for those diagnosed at younger ages but, cancer is still a leading cause of death in the United States, but advances in radiation, chemotherapy and targeted treatments have improved survival, especially for cancer of the breast, prostate, lung, liver and colon (Rosen, 2016).... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy]
1859 words (5.3 pages)
- It is widely known that cancer is lethal; but colon cancer ranks high among the types of cancers that take away the lives of a plethora of people every year. Colon cancer is a type of cancer that occurs in the colon and at times, rectum, of the long intestine. In a report published by The American Cancer Society, colon cancer is said to be “the third leading cause of cancer death” and “the third most commonly diagnosed cancer” (Alteri et al. 1). Colon Cancer Alliance ranks it as “the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the US” (“Colon Cancer Statistics”).... [tags: Dangers, Factors, Prevention]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- Oncology is a field of medicine that deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer and tumors. Cancer is undoubtedly a serious and potentially life-threatening illness. It is the leading cause of death in Americans under the age of 85 and the second leading cause of death in older Americans. There will be 1.5 million new cases of cancer occurring in the United States coming year. There are more than 100 different types of cancers known to man. There’s no cure that has been discovered for this deadly disease, but there is in-fact ways in which the disease can be treated.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Chemotherapy, Metastasis]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Coping with a Body Rash Resulting from Chemotherapy Along with helping to slow or stop the formation of cancer cells, a number of cancer treatments have side effects that can affect your skin, hair, and nails. In most cases the skin conditions associated with chemotherapy and radiation therapy are minor. In fact, for most patients, the problems are more emotional than they are physical in that they affect the person 's appearance. The majority of these skin conditions such as a body rash will go away on their own given enough time, there are however a few that may not go away and will require further treatment.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Chemotherapy, Rash]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- The cancer is a general name use to many diseases. The cancer is a group of abnormal cells begin to divide without control. That is the beginning of all types of cancer. Actually, the cancer can be almost in any part of the human body. There are many forms of cancer. The most common form of cancer in the women is the breast cancer. While in the men, the most common form is prostate cancer. Also, there are lung cancer, osteosarcoma (bone cancer), and melanoma (skin cancer). There are different causes of cancer such as genetic, X-ray radiation, smoking, and ultraviolet radiation.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Immune system, Chemotherapy]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Does the combined use of Photodynamic Therapy and Chemotherapy provide greater curative results in cancerous cells than Chemotherapy alone. The term ‘Laser’ is the acronym for ‘Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission Radiation’. A laser is a unidirectional beam of light with the ability to be amplified. The electrons can be excited to a higher energy state by an external source and emit a photon in the process of returning to ground state. When a photon is introduced another electron is caused to return to a lower excited state, emitting another photon, and hence a chain reaction occurs.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Quantum mechanics, Chemotherapy]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Title: Natural And Medical Treatments For Cancer Meta: A cancer diagnosis can be devastating, but combining Natural And Medical Treatments For Cancer may help. Treating cancer can heal other areas of your life. Natural And Medical Treatments For Cancer Your body 's cells are growing uncontrollably, ignoring genetic signals to stop. Natural And Medical Treatments For Cancer may stop that growth. Discover Natural And Medical Treatments For Cancer Cancer conjures images of chemo caps, nausea and cures seeming worse than the disease they treat.... [tags: Cancer, Oncology, Chemotherapy, Cancer staging]
1013 words (2.9 pages)