The medicinal use of silver goes back for centuries, and – as noted by Fung and Bowen – was used for nervous disorders in the middle ages, epilepsy in the nineteenth century and syphilis in the twentieth century (1996). Cold remedies contained colloidal silver proteins well into the nineteenth century (Fung and Bowen, 2006). Alexander, in his research, found that the history of silver for medical conditions goes back further still. Silver containers were used by ancient civilizations to preserve water and this occurred prior to the scientific evidence that “microbes were the agents of infections” (Alexander, 2009, p.289). Evidence exists of silver filings being used as a purifier of blood, to prevent heart palpitations, and to treat halitosis by Avicenna in 980 A.D. (Alexander, 2009). Additionally, Alexander found that Paracelsus – in 1520 – had used silver nitrate for wound care and internally (2009). Early settlers to North America woul...
... middle of paper ...
...Netburn, D. (2013, September 23). Man with blue skin dies at 62: Unlikely his condition was responsible. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from: http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/25/science/la-sci-sn-man-blue-skin-dies-20130925
Pizzorno, J. E., & Murray, M. T. (Eds.). (2012). Textbook of natural medicine. Elsevier Health Sciences.
Rhee, D. Y., Chang, S. E., Lee, M. W., Choi, J. H., Moon, K. C., & Koh, J. K. (2008). Treatment of Argyria after Colloidal Silver Ingestion Using Q‐Switched 1,064‐nm Nd: YAG Laser. Dermatologic Surgery, 34(10), 1427-1430.
Trudeau, K. (2004). Natural cures" they" don't want you to know about. Elk Grove Village, IL: Alliance Publishing Group.
White, J. M. L., Powell, A. M., Brady, K., & Russell‐Jones, R. (2003). Severe generalized argyria secondary to ingestion of colloidal silver protein. Clinical and experimental dermatology, 28(3), 254-256.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The scene is set. It is 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, and the final heat of the Olympics is about to commence. The sprinters have been training their entire lives for the opportunity at hand, and the outcome of the most important event of their lives is going to come down to mere milliseconds. With a gold medal on the line, these athletes will be looking for any advantage they can obtain, whether big or small. One direction these athletes will turn for an advantage is supplements. Supplements have emerged as a way for athletes to increase their performance, yet their use is very controversial.... [tags: Who Uses Dietary Supplements?]
2461 words (7 pages)
- The objective was to test the hypothesis that a lipid-based nutritional supplement enriched with micronutrients (LNS+MN) would enhance linear growth in rural African young children compared to a paste without micronutrients (LNS). Methods: Senegalese children (n=208) were enrolled at 6 months and assigned to one of the two arms (LNS+MN or LNS) of the double-blind randomized trial. Caregivers were asked to give a 20g daily dose of supplement (108kcal) to their child for a 12-month period. The primary outcome was length.... [tags: child growth, nutritional supplements, senegal]
1838 words (5.3 pages)
- ... With the expanding number of people electing to use supplements, it would be obvious to assume supplements are tremendously beneficial. However, evidence on the effectiveness of supplements is hugely contradictory. It is much easier to assume supplements are useful, yet there is sufficient evidence to argue both sides on whether supplements are beneficial. Contradictory information on all things nutrition related, and, in particular, supplements, is to be expected because of the almost infinite amount of variables associated with the topic.... [tags: performance enhancing drugs, health risks]
2327 words (6.6 pages)
- INTRODUCTION People have been discussing if there are any negative effects of using supplements for fitness or bodybuilding for a very long time. Most people agree that if the supplement is of a good quality, it is OK to use them and they have little side effects (Bolger, 2013). In fact, some people even recommend using supplements because of such reasons: is very hard to find natural foods in this era, it impossible to take the nutrition from foods if the sportsman works too hard, and it provides fast and effective results.... [tags: Use of Supplements]
1779 words (5.1 pages)
- Looking beautiful is something all people openly (or secretly) aim for. And for them to achieve this, good health should always come first. To keep the body at optimum level, you need to take the necessary steps to maintain your health as well as prevent the onset of diseases. It is therefore important to adopt a healthy and active lifestyle—by eating nutritious food, doing daily exercise and using natural health products. Maintaining your health with the use of herbal and natural remedies is the first step to support your well-being.... [tags: supplements, natural products, health]
634 words (1.8 pages)
- n estimation in 2004 said that americans nearly spent 20.3 billion in all kinds of dietary supplements. The use of dietary supplements is common among the U.S. population. Over 40 % used supplements in 1988-94 and over one half in 2003- 2006. The most used supplements are multivitamins and multiminerals. Approximately 40 % of men and women reporting use of these two supplements in 2006. You 're body needs to have vitamin D to absorb calcium and promote bone growth. By using vitamin d your body will have the proper calcium your body needs and it will improve your bone growth.... [tags: Nutrition, Dietary supplement, Vitamin]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- Dietary supplements are used to add additional nutritional value to the diet. Some common forms of supplements include: vitamins, amino acids, minerals, herbs, and enzymes, and can be found in a multitude of forms such as capsules, liquids, gel caps, powders, and tablets. Dietary supplements are becoming increasingly popular among Americans today. According to the Centers for Disease and Control, “Over half of the adults in the U.S. use at least one type of dietary supplement, the most common being multivitamins.”1 Many use these vitamins because they are believed to present a number of benefits, such as helping or treating diseases, etc.... [tags: Vitamin, Nutrition, Dietary supplement]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- According to Advances in Nutrition (Vitamin/Trace mineral supplements), “The fraction of population that is elderly has been increasing, as has the consumption of vitamin/trace mineral supplements, which is now a Multibillion dollar industry. Yet the rationale for such supplement intake by the majority may be questioned.” () Questions like, are vitamin and mineral supplements necessary for life, or is our body capable of generating enough micro-nutrients from everyday nutrition and the environment?; and are vitamin supplements supposed to be used as substitutes for the natural intake of vitamins from whole foods, for people who do not have deficiencies.... [tags: vitamin supplements]
1532 words (4.4 pages)
- Nearly 50 percent of American adults aged 18 and older who responded to the 2013 Gallup survey, took vitamin supplements regularly to maintain good health (Swift). Although there are many different areas to be considered when discussing "good health," a key component is getting the proper nutrients. The main purpose of taking vitamin supplements is to receive the nutrients that are not received through everyday food intake. There are many questions and concerns that surround the idea of vitamins and supplements.... [tags: Nutrition, Dietary supplement, Vitamin]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- There are many different work out supplements. Some of those work out supplements are Proteins/Amino Acids, Performance Supplements, Energy Boosting Products, and Vitamins. The first work out supplement we are going to tell you about is Proteins/Amino Acids. One supplement that is made of Protein is called, "The Ultimate Whey Designer Protein." This designer protein is 68% better than egg white and or regular whey. It mixes easy and gives you up to 18 grams of protein per scoop. This supplement will run you the consumer about $26.99 each 2 lbs bottle.... [tags: Work Out Supplements]
1212 words (3.5 pages)