The Words College and stress go hand in hand. As a freshman in college you do not know what to expect. There are so many things are going on that we end up looking like a deer caught in the headlights of a car. I am enthusiastic to learn but just not sure where to start. My first real compression came before school started. I had my first deadline for The Forum, I was overwhelmed by the other writers on the staff. The compression to show them that I was a good writer was very strong. I told myself to relax and go with the flow. When I walked on the campus of Woodbury 2months ago I was enthusiastic as well as a little frightened. After being out of high school for over 12 years I was at a loss of where I stood. This is where the compression to fit in reared its ugly head. For a minute I was worried about being accepted by my peers, but then it dawned on me that I was at school to get an education, not to worry about what other people thought about me.
Self-induced compression is something everyone goes through. I put compression on myself to do well. I want to be proud of myself and I want those close to me to be proud of me. I think sometimes I push myself to a point of exhaustion.
When I left my mom earlier this year I made her a promise that I would go to school and make her very proud of me. She is the reason that I can say, “I am a college freshman.” She is my inspiration in life. She is also my biggest source of compression. The compression to make her proud of me. The compression to be better than she was. My mom always told me, “Do not be me, and be better than me.” That is exactly what I plan to do, no matter how hard it may be. I will make her proud to call me her daughter.
In this essay "College P...
... middle of paper ...
...es also. They juggled their school with extra-curricular activities. I think most students try to do a lot of things in their life. I juggle school, homework, work, singing, family, a social life, and anything else that may come up every day. When I am feeling self-compression, or any other kind of compression, it can help to have someone to talk to. Sometimes, when I am feeling compression with homework, I try to find someone at home who can help me. Most of the time, my mom and dad are just as clueless as I am, so it doesn’t help. It seems as if the students in the 70’s had many people to talk to. They also lived on campus, so they always had peers and other people around to help them with their schoolwork.
For although they leave college superbly equipped to bring fresh leadership to traditionally male jobs, society hasn 't yet caught up with that fact.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many first year college students face problems as they enter a new educational environment that is very different than that of high school. However, the common problem is that many first year students become stressed. For many students, college is supposed to be the most fun time of their life; however, their fun can be restricted if it is limited by stress and other mental illnesses. According to the National Health Ministries (2006), stress is caused by “greater academic demands,” the feeling of being independent from family, “financial responsibility,” homesickness, being exposed to meeting new people, peer pressure, “awareness of one’s own sexual identity,” and the abuse o... [tags: Main Causes of Stress in College Students]
2522 words (7.2 pages)
- Your heart rate steadily increases, your vision sharpens, your muscles tense, and you begin to sweat. This is all a natural response of the human body to distressing events. The body reacts to stress by activating the nervous system and releasing hormones, which enhances an individual’s ability to work while under pressure. Stress isn’t always blamed on abrupt events, but can also by at fault of a long-lasting situation. Stress is a healthy occurrence, but only in moderation. Long-term stress can release a constant stream of stress hormones over a prolonged period of time, wearing down the body’s energy, and immune system, leaving a person feeling overwhelmed and tired (Lyness).... [tags: performance, chronic stress]
1143 words (3.3 pages)
- My research on the major causes and effects of stress on college students is compiled at the request of The President of Strayer University. The purpose of presenting this research paper to senior administration is to help students have a more constructive college experience. Students starting their college careers consist of major adjustments to the daily routine; sleep patterns and eating habits, time-management skills, and stress levels are different in one way or another. The American Institute of Stress, compiled a 2008 mental health study by the Associated Press, stated that eight of ten college students stated that they have occasionally, or often experienced stress in their daily liv... [tags: student loans,financial stress,college experience]
1396 words (4 pages)
- Amidst the continually increasing levels of commercially distributed music, there is widespread concern that the sonic quality of today’s popular music is deteriorating. More than ever before, dynamic compression is utilized in mixing and mastering to make a song as loud as possible. The belief that “louder is better” has lead to these mixing and mastering practices that have since been coined as “The Loudness Wars”. The great irony in this matter is that in an age where technology thrives and our advancements in applied sciences have come so far, one should expect the quality of recorded music to be outstanding.... [tags: Dynamic Compression of Music]
2263 words (6.5 pages)
- Stress Among College Students Leaving home for the first time and going away for school can be very difficult for some people. In many cases for college freshmen this is their first time being away from their home and parents. Many times they get home sick and want to isolate themselves. They have to get into a new routine of going to school, and change can be very difficult. It is definitely hard to get into the swing of college. They have to navigate through classes in a new format while living away from all the comforts of parents.... [tags: College Students Education Stress Essays]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- College students in the 21st century face a wide range of challenges. Students that are fresh out of high school find themselves away from home, often for the first time, and need to adjust to their new situation. Adults returning to college struggle to find time to study while also fulfilling work and family obligations. College students are increasingly relying on technology, and the costs of attending college have been skyrocketing. Every student’s personal situation is different, but most college students have been feeling the effects of stress.... [tags: University, High school, Education, College]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Stress is a situation that most people face in their day, whenever it be at home or in work. However, high schoolers might face increased stress during their daily routine. Stress is a natural reaction when it feels if it’s threatened; one’s body releases many special kinds of hormones including but not limited to cortisol and adrenaline. However, it’s obvious to us that some may not need these reactions when doing something harmless like taking a test as opposed to sprinting away from a hungry tiger, but not to our bodies.... [tags: High school, College, High School Musical, School]
1276 words (3.6 pages)
- Many people in high school, mostly teens, experience dozens of pressure in their life. To be specific, Schoolwork. Most teens want to excel in school, but want to have a social life or play some kind of sport. One thing that teens don’t understand is that once you’re out of high school, you have college, and then maybe graduate school. Our education will not be over just in High School. You have to work hard and these four years of your life, will impact everything that you do. If you mess up even once, it may ruin everything.... [tags: Stress]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- Typical November nights in a college students residence include cramming obligated to catch for papers due in December, and exams that lurk around the corner on a topic you felt up on sleep for. Deadlines and due dates are non-existent for students until the night before since the preoccupations; partying and overall good times which lack libraries and study sessions, expel more excitement than the adrenaline rush of a chemistry chronicle or a pre-cal problem. At most schools, the days of dorm rules, dress codes, and even mandatory class attendance is long gone.... [tags: essays research papers]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- Due to compression, TV audio and video require less bandwidth and multiple digital TV channels can fit unto one satellite transponder as oppose to a single analogue channel occupying the whole transmission line. A TV signal is captured by a camera and then manipulated during program production. At this point the video must be at its highest quality and full bandwidth for recording, editing and special effects purposes. Then the TV signal needs to be compressed for economical transmission and storage.... [tags: essays research papers]
453 words (1.3 pages)