As a freshman going into college, there are many things to stress about. This includes the fact that you are moving away from your familiar home of 18 years, the act of meeting new friends, attempting to find your way around a new, intimidating atmosphere and in general, all the freedom you are about to take on for the very first time. Freshman year is a time to adjust to being on your own and figure out who you want to be and where you fit in the overall scheme of things, not to have anxiety associated with your academics. Fortunately, there are ways that teachers and students can relieve freshmen of the stress of learning this first year at school.
Many freshman students have found themselves anxious about learning new material, the new courses they’re taking in general, or panicking before an exam or before receiving a grade back. Researchers have found that there is many ways professors can change the way they are teaching their courses to decrease stress level of their students. Since there is a lot of anxiety correlated wit...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Depression and anxiety among college students is something that experts have focused on for the past twenty years. The information they have been gathering ranges from the different stressors of college life to the effects of one's culture on how they deal with depression or anxiety symptoms. They have identified a few core characteristics of depression and thoughts of suicide. These are both serious concepts in which people need to seek help for. It is important for students to reach out to friends, family, or professionals to support them during this time.... [tags: Psychology]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- Anxiety In College Campuses Everyone has been told the importance of college as well that stress comes with it and it can lead to anxiety with time. For most it’s more than just going to school, college is known to be the most important four years of a student’s life since the next four years they will figure out what they will do for the rest of their life. When it comes to thinking about the future, it can be overwhelming for many. So what is anxiety. “Anxiety is a general term that can cover several types of disorders.... [tags: Anxiety, Panic attack, Fight-or-flight response]
1005 words (2.9 pages)
- From writing research papers till dawn to scouring head to toe for internships, plus the amount of student debt I’ll struggle with after graduation, as a college student, it’s safe to say I have a lot on my plate. With all these thoughts running through my head, I think it’s even safer to say that I’m stressed. In fact, I’m more than stressed. I’m constantly overthinking about lab assignments that may have faulty calculations. I’m holding back tears at the thought of failing my marketing class. I dread waking up in the morning.... [tags: Anxiety, Panic disorder, Fear, Anxiety disorder]
1071 words (3.1 pages)
- It is a problem that we can’t ignore, anxiety among youth has been increasing at a steady rate in the last five to seven decades. Although, some people like Peter Gray, who has a Ph.D. in psychology, and is a professor at Boston College, believe that it is because the steadily decreasing free time that children have (Gray), I believe it is something totally different. First of all, I believe that Gray’s opinion doesn’t make sense because the more leisure time one has, the more time one has to think, and be anxious.... [tags: disorder, future parents, children]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Social Anxiety Disorder Among Incoming College Students When you are a senior in high school, you are the "top dog". You have finally made it to the point where you now are on top of the food chain. The underclassman, freshmen, sophomores and juniors, look up to you. However, you soon will be leaving. Graduation rears itself around the corner and before you know it, June is here and you are walking across the stage to receive your diploma. You look out at the crowd and see Mom and Dad; they are so proud of you.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- What is Anxiety and How Can You Cope With It. Generally, anxiety is a feeling of nervousness, worry and dread about something over which you have no control. In psychology, anxiety is defined as a nervous disorder characterized by a state of excessive uneasiness and apprehension. Mental side-effects of anxiety include insomnia, embarrassment or a rapid heartbeat, while physical side-effects include trouble eating, nausea, tension headaches, light-headedness and difficulty concentrating. If you focus on any of these symptoms too much, you can enter into a never-ending cycle of worrying about worrying.... [tags: Anxiety, Fear, Anxiety disorder, Panic disorder]
781 words (2.2 pages)
- It's natural for unfamiliar or challenging situations to prompt feelings of anxiety or nervousness in people of all ages. Anxiety is a natural human reaction, and it serves an important biological function. It's an alarm system that activated whenever people perceive danger or a threat. Everyone experiences feelings of anxiety from time to time. These feelings can range from a mild to severe panic, depending on the person and the situation. It is important to distinguish between anxiety as a feeling or experience, and an anxiety disorder as a psychiatric diagnosis.... [tags: Anxiety, Anxiety disorder]
704 words (2 pages)
- Anxiety is a feeling of nervousness and uneasiness about something that has an uncertain outcome. For instance, the thought of not knowing the outcome on an examination can cause anxiety. Anxiety can be caused by many things, and everyone has different triggers. Something minuscule that will not affect a person might have a major effect on another person. “Approximately 20%” of adolescents suffer from Social anxiety disorder (SAD)” (Mehtalia, Vankar, 2004.). Social anxiety is the nervousness of being in a social setting or that involves one to socialize with others.... [tags: Fear, Anxiety disorder, Social anxiety, Anxiety]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Stress Among College Students Leaving home for the first time and going away for school can be very difficult for some people. In many cases for college freshmen this is their first time being away from their home and parents. Many times they get home sick and want to isolate themselves. They have to get into a new routine of going to school, and change can be very difficult. It is definitely hard to get into the swing of college. They have to navigate through classes in a new format while living away from all the comforts of parents.... [tags: College Students Education Stress Essays]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- "We want to do a lot of stuff; we're not in great shape. We didn't get a good night's sleep. We're a little depressed. Coffee solves all these problems in one delightful little cup." --Jerry Seinfeld I suffer from anxiety and depression. These are issues that influence my life on a daily basis, so I am quite attuned to them. I started to notice that sometimes, while I was drinking coffee, I would begin to have those tell-tale feelings of anxiety, and it made me wonder if it was the coffee triggering these attacks.... [tags: Does Coffee Cause Anxiety?, 2015]
505 words (1.4 pages)