One of the primary reasons COBOL is still so widely used is the shear amount of code that was written in COBOL in the last 30 years. The amount of money to convert this legacy code to one of today’s modern programming languages would be in the billion...
... middle of paper ...
...e I had gained in network administration. I took one last programming class of sorts, database design and administration. This course involved mostly designing databases and writing SQL queries. I enjoyed this course very much, and use these skills in my current job since I am also the Database Administrator for Drury. I don’t have any formal programming experience with the COBOL programming language. I remember when I was taking C++ courses in college, that is was motioned that the COBOL language was dying off and wasn’t really worth learning. But, it looks to me like there are still so many COBOL applications around that there is still a demand for people with those legacy skills. Since I don’t work with programmers and it isn’t a large part of my current job responsibilities, I want to learn as much as I can about different programming languages and their features.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- On May 28, 1959, the Conference of Data Systems Languages (CODASYL) met for the first time with the idea of developing a universal language for building business applications. That language was COBOL. By 1960, COBOL was commercially ready, and for the next 20 years, more programs were written in COBOL than in any other language. Influenced by FORTRAN, a programming language for the scientific community, and FlowMatic, the group recognized the growing needs of the business community. They thought that if the scientific programmers were going to get a single language, they could do the same for business.... [tags: essays research papers]
1526 words (4.4 pages)
- The COBOL programming language is typically used in large scale databases in banks and insurance companies. Today, COBOL is rarely used to write new software applications. It has been replaced by the C/C++ programming language, but up until the 80’s all business software was written using COBOL. This includes but not exclusively accounting, payroll, and large bank applications. COBOL is still used today due to the high cost in upgrading software, and recent studies show that as many as twelve million COBOL applications are still used today.... [tags: Computer Programming Languages]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- COBOL In the summer of 1998, St Louis Public Schools ( SLPS ) chose to convert form it's IBM System/390 mainframe to a client server environment. Not only was the SLPS affected but the Public School Retirement System ( PSRS ) was also affected since they use their mainframe system. PSRS started looking for a solution for their processing requirements. They were debating on weather to obtain an existing package to replace their system If they did would the be able to convert it to support how they run their business, or would they have to change how they conduct business to match the new software.... [tags: Essays Papers]
763 words (2.2 pages)
Admiral Grace Murray Hopper : The First Female Computer Scientists And The Mother Of Corbel Programming
- Admiral Grace Murray Hopper is known as one of the first female computer scientists and the mother of Corbel programming. Hopper was born on December 9, 1906 in New York City and was the oldest of three children. Even as a child she loved played with gadgets, disassembling items such an alarm clocks to determine how they worked (Norman). Hopper parents and siblings had a huge impact on her life. Her father who was a successful insurance broker inspired Hopper to pursue higher education and not limit her to typical feminine roles during that time (Norman).... [tags: Programming language, Computer, Grace Hopper]
1445 words (4.1 pages)
- ... To me, a genius is someone who works hard at something and changes the world with what the worked on. I believe that Grace Hopper was a certifiable genius, because she worked hard at such a difficult task as programming the Harvard Mark 1 computer, developed the first computer-independent programming language, and with these changed the world overall by introducing the information age. On July 2, 1944, Grace Hopper reported for work on the Harvard Mark 1 computing machine-the first programmable digital computer in the U.S..... [tags: computer, lanugage, programming]
601 words (1.7 pages)
- Grace Murray Hopper, born December 9, 1906, was a Math professor that enlisted in the United States Navy at the start of World War II. Over the time of her enlistment, Hopper developed several new programming languages, including COBOL, which is still one of the most used programming languages today. Hopper was also one of the first people to coin the term “computer bug”. Over the course of her life, Grace Hopper influenced many people through her service in the military and led a movement in modern electronics through her work.... [tags: Biography ]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Some people wonder what Y2K is, and whether it is true or false. Should we be worried about Y2K. Some people are sure it is false, yet the news stresses that it is true. This has many people in fear for their life. Some have been preparing for over a year now because they think Y2K is going to hit and the power will go out and absolutely nothing will work. Should we believe this. Many people ask, "What is Y2K?". It made me wonder one day, "What does Y2K really mean?". I went to the search engine <a href="http://www.altavista.com">Altavista and typed in "What does Y2K stand for?".... [tags: essays research papers]
911 words (2.6 pages)
- Technology of The Computer Over Time Computer have made a drastic change over time. In the past few decades the technology of the computer went from being able to solve 29 math equations to solving the most complicated math equation with a few more things like; simple how tos, DIY projects, and entertainment. What is A Computer. A computer is a programmable electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations.... [tags: Computer, ENIAC, Operating system]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Programming Languages A programming language is a set of English-like instructions that includes a set of rules for putting the instructions together to create commands. A translator changes the English-like commands into numeric code that the computer can understand. The most common type of translator is a compiler. The compiler is program that reads English-like commands in a file and than creates another file containing computer readable numeric code or commands. I will be talking about some of the major functions and uses six high-level programming languages.... [tags: essays research papers]
1161 words (3.3 pages)
- Designing a Network I. STATEMENT & BACKGROUND The college of Business (COB) server is now being used to support deliver to the Computer Information System (CIS) department. The CIS professors would be using the server for various operations. Assignments, e-mail, and other types of information would be easier for the students to access. Network users are able to share files, printers and other resources; send electronic messages and run programs on other computers. However, certain important issues need to be addressed and concentrated on.... [tags: science]
2946 words (8.4 pages)