Currently, advances in the biomedical applications of CNTs are being hindered by many uncertainties regarding their cellular uptake mechanisms and fate inside the body. Recent reports have shown that CNTs toxicity can be attributed to metal impurities, length, size, surface area, aggregation, coating, immobilization, uptake, or internalization, to name a few. However; up to now there are no compelling reports that provide fundamental understanding of the toxicological and pharmacological profiles of cellular systems exposed to CNTs with different chemical and physical properties.
Conventional methods to assess the toxicity of CNTs rely on bio-cellular and optical microscopy assays performed at certain time points. These essays provide an overview of the toxicological profiles associated with CNTs exposure by analyzing protein expressions, gene expression, cellular viability, morphology at discrete time points. However; The majority of these essays provide a single analysis of one cellular aspect at a time, which means that we can't study more than one cellular variable at a time, and we can't use the same sample fo...
... middle of paper ...
...ion and migration negatively, where longer CNTs lead to more toxic effects. The surface charge of CNTs affects the degree of aneuploidy and genotoxicity. Finally, the size of CNTs determines the number of CNTs inside the cell, where the highest of uptake was noticed with the shortest, most hydrophilic CNTs. (Manuscript in preparation).
The significance of this research lies within its ability to provide fundamental understanding of the cellular behavior in real time. This research is the first to correlate the cellular behavior and fate to the physical and chemical properties of CNTs. Using an engineered platform that correlates cellular responses to nanomaterial exposure in real time will lead to developing a library of data that would allow the knowledge of the presence, identification and quantification of the characteristics of nanomaterial, chemical or toxins.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Concluding inaccurate data from experiment results is more common than it may seem. For one thing, “The LD50 changes drastically from one species to another or even from one strain to another of the same species. The LD50 of a substance in rabbits or rats in no way is an indicator of the acute toxicity of the same substance in humans” (McNeal 10-11). The LD50 can dramatically vary its results within one type of the same animal, let alone in different ones. A substance in various rodents is no reflection of the acute toxicity it would have on people (McNeal 10-11).... [tags: Acute toxicity, Animal testing, Experiment]
1440 words (4.1 pages)
- REPORT ON COPPER TOXICITY ON SHEEP OR ADULT LAMBS INTRODUCTION The relationship between copper in grazing sheep and the chronic poisoning resulting in increased death, is key. This report helps to make clear, the major effect of quantity of copper on grazing soil, on animals. The optimum concentration of copper needed for the normal growth and healthy living of lambs and sheep and the importance of copper in grazing animals are addressed in this report.... [tags: acute toxicity, animal loses]
908 words (2.6 pages)
- Time is a concept that one understands when he or she is not asked to explain. However, when asked to explain or give a definition what time really is, he or she is unable to process the absolute meaning of time. Like Aristotle, we are able to inquire about things that we do not fully comprehend. Although we claim we may not know the answer, we are may or may not have a better understanding time after asking others to explain their version of time. Time for many people might be quantified as the amount of battery life left on their iPhone.... [tags: Time, Future, Present, Past]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Time is something that every one of us thinks that we have plenty of when we are young and a day seems like it will last forever. But as we get older we find ourselves wishing we had more time to do the things we seem to never have the time for. The problem with this type of thinking is we never find the time, we cannot just wish for more time. The solution may be easier than we think. With just a few minor adjustments to our way of life we are better equipped to manage our time. Managing our time properly can make a big difference in life for the better.... [tags: Management, Personal life, Planning, Time]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Lead Toxicity in Children Lead poisoning in children was first discovered in 1890 in Queensland, Australia. The lead source was not identified until 1904, when a researcher traced it to the paint used on railings and verandahs. The first discovery of lead poisoning in the United States (with a traceable source) was in 1914; the child had chewed the paint off of his crib. At this time they linked lead poisoning as a cause of convulsions in children. As research progressed and more children were found with high lead levels, symptoms caused by lead were expanded to include lead meningitis, acute encephalopathy, intellectual dullness, reduced consciousness, seizures, comas, and death (Chisholm... [tags: Lead Poisoning Health Medical Essays]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- This paper goes into detail about becoming a real estate agent in Ontario. It talks about how there are many benefits that go along with the occupation which include making your own work schedule. It also talks about how there many negatives such as not making any money in the first few months of working as a real estate agent. In order to become a real estate agent, people must complete several courses offered by the Ontario Real Estate Association College. In addition to the completion of the courses, people must register with the Real Estate Council of Ontario.... [tags: Real estate, Property, Real property]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- Foreclosure.com Scholarship Program In existence is $150,000, specifically set aside for the purchase of distressed real estate. This essay will outline a detailed strategy ensuring a maximum return in regard to the financial investment made on the home. Including a description of distressed real estate and foreclosure in addition to how utility can play a role in the decision-making process. Distressed Real Estate and Foreclosure Distressed Purchase Collateral for the defaulted loan. Distressed real estate involves making a distressed purchase.... [tags: Real Estate ]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- The “miracles of science” has brought on an era of super materials that are unaffected by extreme conditions and provide us many overlooked benefits that are a part of our everyday life. Clothing that resists open fire and moisture, gasses used to fuel your automobiles air conditioner, to plastics that release that fried egg from the fry pan with perfection. These discoveries made by DuPont can arguably yield some of the most significant products made by man in the 21st century. One among the many products, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, aka Teflon) is a synthetic fluoropolymer that can be used in a wide range of products.... [tags: Research Analysis ]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Commercial real estate is any property other than a single family home or a residential lot in a neighborhood. The commercial real estate market is handled very similarly industrial and residential real estate markets. The commercial real estate market goes through ups and downs just like any other investment market however investments into commercial real estate can be a very wise decision. Commercial real estate is similar to industrial and residential real estate in that when you buy it you are buying a building or land.... [tags: Real Estate]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- IT In Real Estate ABSTRACT Real estate is a very vast field it is growing day by day and it's not easy for buyer, seller or renter to get the information they require. There are many agents and agencies to whom people have to contact or visit to get the information which waste a lot of time and tiring and sometimes they are also not reliable ,so for easing this problem IT is playing it part by making real estate websites so that its easy for the buyer to find their desired property by searching all the properties available in different areas ,in the same way seller add their property and get it sold easily and people who are searching for property to rent can also find all the property ava... [tags: Information Technology Real Estate]
944 words (2.7 pages)