Cloud 9 is an unconventional play of two acts; the first act is set in Victorian Africa, the height of colonial settlement, while act two is set near a century later in what would have been modern day England. This jump in time is a theatrical tool used by Churchill to keep the audience aware that it is a political statement, this is what is called the “estrangement effect” known now as a Brechtian technique (Cloud cover 264) This play also uses gender-bending and cross-casting to bring awareness to the audience the patriarchal and colonial expectations of western cultures. In the forward to the play Churchill explains the import...
... middle of paper ...
...heatre practitioners ever truly, openly display homosexual relationships on stage without repercussion? Only time will tell.
Adams. Mary Louise. The Trouble with Normal: Postwar Youth and the Making of Heterosexuality. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1997.
Churchill, Caryl. Cloud 9. London: Nick Hern Books, 2010.
Cousin, Geraldine. Churchill the Playwright. London: Methuen Drama, 1989.
Diamond, Elin. “Refusing the Romanticism of Identity: Narrative Interventions in Churchill, Benmussa, Duras” Theatre Journal 37. 3. (Oct., 1985): 273-286.
Harding, James M. “Cloud Cover: (Re) Dressing Desire and Comfortable Subversions in Caryl Churchill's Cloud Nine” Modern Language Association 113. 2. (Mar., 1998): 258-272.
Wilson, Edwin and Alvin Goldfarb. Living Theatre: A History. 5th ed. Boston and Burr Ridge, IL: McGraw Hill, 2004.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Abstract - Cloud storage provides users to easily store their data and enjoy the cloud applications need not install in local hardware and software system. In cloud computing, data is moved to a remotely located cloud server. Many users place their data in the cloud and so data integrity is very important issue in cloud storage. In this paper a flexible distributed storage auditing mechanism, using the homomorphism token and distributed erasure coded data and it support to ensure the correctness and availability of users’ data in the cloud.... [tags: Cloud computing, Data management]
795 words (2.3 pages)
- They are profusion of services when we look on the consumer sites traffic around on the world. People used to rely on this services in their day to day activities and this became even worse when smartphones became handy to the people. Cloud-based applications are now gaining large momentum and when we see the present situation we observe the fact developing a simple game or an application by a company tries to build it up on a cloud. This may be fascinating but according to Evans Data Corporation: “there are more than 18 million software developers worldwide yet less than 25 percent are developing for the cloud today.... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service, Google]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Cloud computing security or cloud security is a growing sub-domain of network security, computer security and more broadly information security. It refers to a set politics, technologies and controls deployed to protect the data, applications and the associated infrastructure of cloud computing. Cloud computing importance is increasing and gaining scientific attention and industrial communities. Cloud computing is one among the top 10 most important technologies and with a better prospect in successful companies and organizations.... [tags: cloud computing, cloud security, private cloud]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- Intel Cloud Technology Program Contents 1. Executive Summary…………………………………... 3 2. Introduction…………………………………………... 4 3. Overview of the program……………………………... a. Benefits…………………………………………….. 5 5 4. Competitors…………………………………………... 7 5. Conclusion……………………………......................... 7 6. References…………………………….......................... 8 Executive Summary A heterogeneous cloud infrastructure environment results in 40 to 60 percent performance variation. Therefore, cloud users are looking for more insight into the performance, capabilities and cost savings offered by cloud service providers so that they can get the right size and type of performance as per their parti... [tags: customer, cloud users, cloud finder]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- CHAPTER FOUR cloud hopping over mud hill OOOOOOOOOO When KC passed out, the link between her and Hototo was broken. Her magic; however, remained, expelling the drugs she’d been given. As she recovered, she began to dream; quick flashes of dreams; like her mind was channel surfing, trying to find a suitable dream to focus on. Soon she entered REM sleep and Hototo called out to her from across the Dream Lands. She awoke lying on the couch: her head on a soft pillow and her body drenched in sweat.... [tags: Cloud, Cumulus cloud, Cumulonimbus cloud, CLOUD]
1552 words (4.4 pages)
- Cloud Computing and The Future Introduction Our future in computing is moving into a whole new direction called Cloud Computing. Many questions and issues have arisen from this new adventure in computing. For us to understand cloud computing we must first learn what it is. Once we have established that knowledge we can then venture out to the advantages and disadvantages, types of models, and finally services in cloud environments. We will see the correlation of information that leads into how cloud computing affects us today or in our near future.... [tags: cloud environment, renting, amazon]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- New technologies raise new ethical challenges besides new technical problems. Cloud computing is the recent technology in IT that moves the data away from portable storage devices to large data centers called cloud. It basically means that every application given as services over the Internet to the user. In the view of User it is accessing his/her files, programs and other services through Internet which are hosted by other service providers. One more aspect of cloud computing is the cost effectiveness of this technology which attracted enterprises to use this technology to consume their IT services in a cost effective way.... [tags: technology, cloud, ethical]
1447 words (4.1 pages)
- 1. Introduction Global cloud computing market is expected to grow rapidly due to its efficiency and innovativeness. This technology has been regarded as one of the top priorities for businesses to be efficient in terms of cost cutting, resource utilisation, employee communication, etc (Carcary, 2014). It is forecasted by Analyst group Forrester that the cloud computing market is predicted to increase from £22.5bn in 2011 to approximately £96.6bn by 2020. The definition of cloud computing from US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is one of the most widely and frequently known; “A model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of confi... [tags: Cloud computing, Everything as a service]
1160 words (3.3 pages)
- Evolutionary Algorithm and Discussions Cloud computing provides variety of internet on demand services such as software, infrastructure and data storage. for the purpose of provision of private service to the user, there is possibility to use multi-level password creation and documentation or authentication techniques. This technology assists in creating the password in several levels of the company. So, that the strict documentation and authorization is possible. The levels of security in cloud may be more developed by multi-levels documentation.... [tags: technology, cloud, storage]
970 words (2.8 pages)
- According to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), cloud computing is referred to as a model for enabling convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configuration computing resources that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. The following paper will discuss the meaning of cloud computing, the major providers, benefits of adoption, pitfalls of adoption, current trends in the business community, and current application within the business community.... [tags: Cloud Services]
2148 words (6.1 pages)