Zip, I laced up my combat boots. I then put on some black skinny jeans and my favorite maroon hoodie.
Then, using some new hair dye, I re-did my streak. Since my hair didn’t get blow dried last night, it was slightly curled. Lastly, I put on some foundation, mascara, and grey eye shadow. I’m going to have to try extra hard to look good today. Last night’s beating was far worse than anything I’ve had before. Hiding all the damage is going to be a big challenge.
It was six a.m. school doesn’t start for another hour and it only takes thirty minutes to walk the mile. But I have to leave before Ashley gets up. I do not want to see her. I grabbed my backpack and hopped out the window and started to walk. As I hiked, I built up the courage to look at my scars. They were all scabbed.
Last night is fuzzy. I remember it, but it’s not crystal clear. One of the head blows might have jacked up my memory a bit. But it didn’t jack it up enough to erase it from my mind, I remember the first hit. I remember the wooden paddle slamming into my back. This was immediately followed by several strikes to the head. Then my arms, shoulders, legs and face. Each hit gave me several splinters. I still remember.
I remember every beating. Every time, every drop of blood I ever shed. I remember.
I also remember mystery boy. The entire reason I got into this mess. We’ve only spoken once. I wonder if he remembers me. Of course he doesn’t, people never remember me.
I kept moving. Gravel rolled underneath my feet. Animals rushed throughout the forest. The morning fog was here, all the usual.
I started to go closer to the tree line. I never enjoyed the open road. In the forest I could see wild flowers of every color. Birds...
... middle of paper ...
“Yes,” I growled at him.
“Oh come on Chris, let her,” Lyndzy begged, “Maybe we’ll get lucky and she’ll get suspended.”
Taylor chimed in, “Expelled!”
“Deportation!” they both squealed.
“You two have fun with that,” Chris said pulling me away. I reached toward the top shelf in my locker. My sleeve fell down, exposing the big gash in my arm. I tried to cover it up, but I wasn’t quick enough. Chris grabbed my arm, “What happened? Who did this to you?”
I quickly got out of his grasp and pulled my sleeve down. “I fell,” I lied badly. What really happened was Ashley. She cut me.
I stuttered, “I fell down… a tree.”
He looked at me, “What did you land on?”
“A rock,” I smiled at him, “A sharp rock.” Apparently, my lie worked. He nodded hugged me and left. I sighed in relief. That was close. I can’t let anyone know. If I do, I’m dead.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have to confess that, initially, I was decidedly annoyed by the reading assigned for this week. It struck me as an apologetic for some historic or imagined evangelical oppression of Art Culture.In fact, my paper is late because I approached the reading that way. Until our class discussion- I couldn’t flesh out a paper that answered the questions posed. I had read and highlighted my way through the assigned text- but had no real context for the material. I was happily surprised to find that Mr.... [tags: Art, Visual arts, Aesthetics, Closer]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- The bond that exists among different generations is a permanent relation that can’t ever be destroyed. There is a certain metaphysical connection that holds us all together. Our past ancestors greatly determine our personalities, appearances, opinions; they influence our very existence. Some people feel very proud of their culture and ancestors, while others are ashamed of past generations and try to hide their relation with them. However, the connectivity between all generations remains the same for all, because the people before us shape our world and who we are.... [tags: memories, the bridge between past and present]
655 words (1.9 pages)
- ... This strong connection between nature and women has a historical background and sees women’s intimate knowledge of nature a help to sustain life. In some phases of the capitalistic economy dominated by men, women have always been marginalized and restricted to the domestic sphere, where one of their main duty was to reproduce, accomplish men and take care of the family. As well as nature, under the capitalist system, reproduction is subordinate to production, and the sustainable methods are not in the main priorities, while under the socialist system, the production has as only goal to satisfy people’s need, not people’s greed.... [tags: environment, connection, india]
2593 words (7.4 pages)
- Attachment is a physiological connection (emotional) that involves one enjoying care, comfort and pleasure of the other. This has a major impact in our romantic and relationship lives. There are three main attachment styles in which one can decide his/her type according to the description offered. They are secure attachment style, avoidant attachment style and ambivalent attachment style. Understanding our styles is very important as it helps us be aware of our strengths and vulnerabilities in relationships so as to find ways to make our relationships work (schultheiss, D.... [tags: Interpersonal relationship, Attachment theory]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Technology was created to provide simpler methods for us to accomplish our task. With the help of technology we are able to provide faster and efficient services. With affect of faster connection, it can be said that communicating with others has become more efficient and simple. Thus we begin to question ourselves, it the simpler method really the best methods. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, are some of the major social networking system that most people in the world know of. These networks are said to promote to help faster connection between people, but in some cases the faster connection is what keeps two people away from each other.... [tags: Social network service, Facebook, MySpace]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- much of the 16th and 17th centuries, much of the West had an intense drive for exploring and dominating foreign worlds. Explorers such as Ferdinand Magellan and Francesco Carletti, dominate history as some of the first people to circumnavigate the globe in an effort to further exploration of the new world. When the East and the West met it was a collision of vastly different cultures that would eventually combine in forms of cross-cultural connections, working to forage relations upon these encounters, forever changing the world.... [tags: culture, Ferdinand Magellan, Francesco Carletti]
1665 words (4.8 pages)
- In recent years, mobile phones have swiftly become a fundamental necessity in American society as well as around the globe. Since its humble beginnings as an unreliable and bulky device, the cell phone has become an everyday item that is economical and portable. The cell phone began its journey in 1947 when researchers recognized that the range of service areas could be used to increase the traffic capacity of the basic mobile phone by a sufficient number, but it was not until 1973 that Dr. Martin Cooper, former general manger at Motorola, made the first call on a cellular phone.... [tags: Relationships, Connection]
1111 words (3.2 pages)
- A Closer Look: Keeping Orchids “Keeping Orchids” is about someone who was separated from her biological mother at birth. The central character if the poem struggles to keep the memory of her meeting with her birth-mother alive. This reunion with her mother has affected her deeply, and she feels rejected and frustrated, as it appears her mother has had another child, which although this child is now dead, the mother still kept and cared for it (shown in the line, “a digital watch her daughter was wearing when she died”.).... [tags: Papers]
657 words (1.9 pages)
- A Closer Look At Cryptography Ever since the earliest days of writing, people have had reasons to limit their information to a restricted group of people. Because of this, these people have had to develop ideas of making their information unable to be read by unwanted people. The general techniques used to hide the meaning of messages constitute the study known as cryptography. "Ciphers, in general fall into three major classifications: 1. Concealment Cipher, 2. Transposition Cipher, and 3. Substitution Cipher" (4).... [tags: Writing Cryptography History Papers]
2016 words (5.8 pages)
- Microraptor Zhaoianus Discovery Strengthens the Dinosaur-Bird Connection Theory The evolutionary connection between dinosaurs and birds (that birds evolved from theropod dinosaurs) has long been theorized and is today generally accepted as a scientifically viable school of thought. Furthermore, several monumental discoveries have recently been made (21st century) in the area of the fossil record which have acted to solidify this evolutionary connection, drawing the evidentiary ties between dinosaurs and birds even closer together.... [tags: Anthropology Essays Paleontology Papers]
1381 words (3.9 pages)