' 'In the United States, severe depression affects more than 15 million people and 15 percent of them eventually attempt suicide stated, Dr. Fredrick Goodwin, director of the National Institute of Mental Health. This attempt is very common with people dealing with depression. Depression is now the third-leading cause of death among people aged 14-24 and is killing more lives than people with HIV and cancer. There are many different types of depression, but clinical depression affects mostly college students. Clinical college depression is an illness that deals with a feeling of sadness and loss of interest. Most students experience depression while attending college. 1/3 of college students felt depressed within 12 months of attending college. They saw where it was difficult to function and felt a high sense of anxiety. I am against college students experiencing clinical depression while attending college because it causes stress which can lead to suicide, risky behavior and poor academic performance.
Depression can cause suicide if it 's not treated properly. Many people commit suicide each year and it affects millions of lives. ' 'According to the 2000 National College Health Assessment survey 9.5% of students had seriously considered suicide and 1.5% attempted it ' '. In 2013 41,149 suicides were reported, making suicide the 10th leading death for American stated, John little from the SPRC(suicide prevention resource center). Having interpersonal difficulties can cause a student to want to kill themselves because the pain is overbearing to deal with. These interpersonal difficulties might include dealing with a terrible breakup with a lover and not handling it well...
... middle of paper ...
...matic events. ' ' (Dr. Copela) Sometimes researchers refer to these as psychosocial factors since they bring events that happened outside and into our brains. These factors include stressful events, trauma and childhood difficulties, According to Anxiety and Depression of American.
In conclusion this is why I am against college students experiencing clinical depression while attending college because it causes stress which can lead to suicide, risky behavior and poor academic performance. ' 'In the United States, severe depression affects more than 15 million people and 15 percent of them eventually attempt suicide stated, Dr. Fredrick Goodwin, director of the National Institute of Mental Health. This attempt is very common with people dealing with depression. Depression shouldn 't be taking lightly you should always talk with someone and receive help.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The maintenance of health depends on promotion of wellness as to combating of disease. Studying and practicing medicine over the years, I learned the absolute need for, and intrinsic rewards of broadening my perspective of health related issues affecting the community. Treating individual patients in clinical practice alone cannot apprehend the large goal. I have a profound interest in well-being of children, women, family planning, preconception care. With my recent relocation to America, the challenge of a new beginning gives me the opportunity of health education in the MPH program.... [tags: Medicine, Health care, Health, Public health]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Industrial-Organizational Psychologist The education required to become an Industrial-Organizational (I/O) Psychologist for entry level positions is a master’s degree in psychology, and a PhD in order to conduct research or become a consultant. If an I/O is employed in a clinical setting, they are required to obtain state licensing, otherwise there are no requirements. The area of I/O psychology has a tremendous growth potential of 53% through 2022, with an average earning potential of $80,330 annually (Study, 2016).... [tags: Psychology, Clinical psychology]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- This assignment will be based on continual professional development and will aim to identify a learning need encountered in my previous clinical placement. Through reflecting on my previous placement, I have identified that my lack of knowledge and organisation skills have impacted on my confidence and ability to hand over to qualified nurses. Therefore, the learning need I have identified involves improving my confidence, knowledge and organisation skills, in communication handover with qualified nurses.... [tags: Nursing, Nurse, Patient, Clinical trial]
1334 words (3.8 pages)
- Introduction Laboure College provides a program for their BSN program that reflects on the associates degree program. In the associate’s program the foundation of the core nursing courses are taken. Within the BSN program the students take advice nursing courses and electives in relation to the program. Although, specific course objective and outcome were not visible, each course title and course description as stated in their handbook and website are aligned with the program outcome. The courses are organized in a manner that will build on the previous course.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing theory, Education, University]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Reducing Gender Dysphoria Among Non-Conforming Students in Schools In schools across the nation, many gender-nonconforming students live every day trapped in a body that feels foreign to them. The disconnect between body and mind often results in gender dysphoria, in which “people suffer distress because of a mismatch between the gender identity they experience and their biological sex as determined by chromosomes, gonads and genitals” (Russo). Historically, the conversation about gender dysphoria, gender-nonconforming people and their struggles is a relatively new topic.... [tags: Transgender, Gender, Discrimination]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- The career that I decided to pursue when I came to college is Clinical psychology. The reason why I decided on majoring in Psychology is because I took an AP Psychology course during my junior year of high school and the Teacher I had made me love Psychology. The reason why I enjoy Psychology so much is because it expands the mind to so many different things like why people have certain behaviors and teaches you the real difference between Nature and Nurture. You are also given the chance to learn new things about why we humans are the way we are.... [tags: Psychology, Clinical psychology]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- Being able to attend and graduate college is a dream and the next step in life for many students. However, going to college and finishing school are two completely different things. There has been a decrease in students who completed college. Researchers are wondering, what is causing students to not finish schooling. There are many reasons and questions to why it could be affecting the completion of college rates. One of the main issue is the skyrocketing cost of college tuitions. Majority of students are having stress and anxiety for not being able to afford college.... [tags: Free College For Students]
2019 words (5.8 pages)
- College students have to balance work, family, and college activists and any delaying behavior from within can cause an unbalance. This behavior is called procrastinating and it can lead to problems in many areas of a student’s life. College students are the worst hit by this type of behavior because they have many different activities to focus on instead of studying. These activities can cause students to study when they have time which often is usually too short amount of time. There is a time and place to relax and enjoy life, but if students focus on playing around instead of getting their assignments done, college life will be stressful.... [tags: education, college students]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- Social Media has become a very essential tool in the society; in addition, it has a huge impact on communication and learning process. Social media is defined as websites and applications used for social networking. “As of September 2013, seventy-one percent of online adult use Facebook, eighteen percent use Twitter and seventeen percent use Instagram, twenty-two percent use PInterest, and another twenty-two percent use LinkedIn. (PewReasearch, 2013). In addition, "Between February 2005 and August 2006, the use of social networking sites among young adult internet user ages eighteen and twenty-nine jumped from nine percent to forty-nine percent.... [tags: Social Media, College Students, Communication]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- Stress Among College Students Leaving home for the first time and going away for school can be very difficult for some people. In many cases for college freshmen this is their first time being away from their home and parents. Many times they get home sick and want to isolate themselves. They have to get into a new routine of going to school, and change can be very difficult. It is definitely hard to get into the swing of college. They have to navigate through classes in a new format while living away from all the comforts of parents.... [tags: College Students Education Stress Essays]
2013 words (5.8 pages)
- Perception Of Language Over Thought
- Religion And Its Impact On Society
- The Mask, And Geese 's Signature Technique
- Effect Of Managerial Characteristics And Organizational Culture On Manager 's Tradeoff Between Organization Sincerity And Work Performance
- Emotion And Emotion Of Emotion
- The Crisis Of The 1900 ' S