“Kids eat free on Sunday right?!” “Can I substitute this juice for a Bloody Mary?” “Can I taste that first?” “Oh!? I’m sorry we haven’t even looked at the menu yet. We’ll just be a bit . . . (45 minutes later) . . . ok, were ready.” “Yeah, were ready. Let me have . . . uh . . . oh where was it? Here! Wait no. Where did it go? I can’t find it. You know it has the thing with the thing on it . . .” “Can we get some more of your FREE bread!” These quotes, among a plethora of others, are common occurrences with the serving field. Sometimes even the smallest actions can show one’s personality in a big way. With hundreds of people dining out every single day it becomes easier to allocate them into many different classifications based on their personal tipping fashion; classes such as the ‘Percent Tippers’, the ‘Performance Review Tippers’, the ‘I’m a Server Too Tippers’, the ‘Non-Monetary Tippers’, the ‘Special Occasion Tippers’, and the much desired ‘Whale Tippers’.
THE PERCENT TIPPERS. The straight shooter. The safety net. The always stable, rain or shine, member of the tipping community. The Percent Tipper bases a server’s entire gratuity on a set percentage of the total cost of that particular meal. This percent varies from person to person, but is generally within a ten to twenty percent range with almost no regard for actual service quality. This allows for some stability, as far as wages earned, for a server. Even if the server forgot the salad before the meal, if the beverage ran dry or if the server is just having an ‘off’ day, they will usually not walk away empty handed. On the other hand a ticket must reach a significant dollar amount to provide a decent reward which requires a server to charge fo...
... middle of paper ...
THE WHALE TIPPER. The big kahuna. The Loch Ness monster. This Moby Dick of tippers is unpredictable in appearance, yet remains always eagerly anticipated by any and all who know its identity. It’s a rarity to have this kind of tipper, and when you do, all eyes are upon you. The unrelenting nerves crossed with the over excitement can only be calmed with the beyond handsome tip. $75 tip for providing them with a $12.99 Bacon Cheeseburger meal. $145 tip for getting a diet coke for his wife and brown sugar for his daughters French Toast breakfast. Few things compare to this moment.
All in all, beggars can’t be choosers. From the Percenters to the Whale Tippers, all tips are appreciated. Regardless of what category you fall in, every time you tip a server, you leave an impression. Everytime you dine out, you have a chance to change your category.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Classification of Restaurant Customers “I’ve been here for ten minutes and my server hasn’t taken my order yet!” This is a direct quote from me before I worked at a restaurant. I never looked to see how many tables my server actually had or how much running I made them do. The sad truth is most people do not notice these details either, which may affect the tip their server will receive. By looking at the attitude and maintenance of restaurant customers, you can classify them into three categories according to their tipping patterns: the “hmm…how good were they.... [tags: Classification Essay]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- “I drink to make other people more interesting.” ― Ernest Hemingway In the great world of tending bar there is a myriad selection of customers one would encounter; The Social Drinker, The Self Defined Outcast, The Fish Out of Water, and last but never the least, The Freshman. Each level of drinker has its advantages in social circles and also has equal negative repercussions. Most of these classes aren't built from years of drinking, rather are formed through the personality traits they already have developed through their childhood and young adulthood.... [tags: Classification Essay]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- As the owner of three unique pups, I know that dogs’ variances are numerous. Any one who owns a dog knows that it has a mind of its own, and therefore a unique personality. Having had many dogs throughout my life, I have found that dogs fit into three classifications. Annie dogs As princesses of the canine universe, Annie type dogs have a loving yet manipulative personality. An Annie dog assumes the role of queen bee. As leader of the pack, she keeps everybody in line. She dominates all of the other dogs, often by physical herding or malicious growl.... [tags: Classification Essay]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- It was a special day, a day very much akin to a day in a life of a syndicated series, but with no commercials. You see, it was this day one week prior that Captain Planet and the Planeteers had vanquished all of the Eco-Villains (Hoggish Greedly, Dr. Blight, Duke Nukem, Looten Plunder, Verminous Skumm, Sly Sludge, Captain Pollution, and even the nefarious Zarm himself) in an escapade so daring that they incidentally cured global warming, air pollution, and world hunger simply because their heroics were so epic in scale.... [tags: Restaurant Review]
2531 words (7.2 pages)
- Classifications of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than an ice cold beer. How about drinking a cold one with some friends at a local bar after a hard day's work, sounds satisfying doesn't it. Beer has been around for hundreds years and will be around for hundreds more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources.... [tags: Classification Essay]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Classification of Exercise Partners Every woman's magazine I've ever read gives its readers advice on exercising, and one of the most common tips I've seen is to find a partner to exercise with. In my experience, however, having an exercise partner is not a good idea. I have encountered five types of exercise partners, and I have concluded that it is definitely best to exercise alone. The Drill Sergeant My ex-boyfriend represents the Drill Sergeant. He is one of those people whose motto is "No pain, no gain." Of course, he assumes that everyone else follows this decree as well.... [tags: Classification Essays]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- Classification of Movie Goers Many people go to the movies. The movies are an escape into a fantasy world. Everyone has a different preference on what kind of movie is the best. Romance, horror, action, and comedy are different types of movies. The kind of movie someone goes to see can give clues to what kind of person they are. People who prefer horror films obviously like to be grossed out or like to be frightened. The horror fans probably tend to enjoy suspense and anxiety. One might suspect these people love to go on frightening roller coaster rides or do other things that would cause suspense and anxiousness.... [tags: Classification Essay ]
523 words (1.5 pages)
- Classification of Psychic Experiences Generally speaking, psychic experiences which deal with receiving information from an outside source, either living or passed on can be classified into the following categories: psychometry, telepathy, clairvoyance, clairaudience, automatic writing and channeling. Two more psychic techniques, assumption and projection, deal with transferring the personality to a remote location. Psychometry is the art of receiving information about someone by touching an object commonly carried by that person such as a key chain or jewelry.... [tags: Classification Essays]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Classification of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than a nice cold beer. Or how about drinking a nice cold one with some buddies after work at a local bar, sound nice doesn?t it. Beer has been around for many years and will probably be around for many more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources. The production of beer and some other alcoholic beverages is often called brewing. Most every culture has there own tradition and the own take on beer, thus producing many different styles and variations.... [tags: Classification Essays Beer Alcohol Essays]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Restaurant Management Running a restaurant can be one of the most stressful jobs as well as the most fun and rewarding jobs. If the manager is a good leader with excellent leadership skills and has great followers the restaurant will be rewarded. If not the restaurant will plummet in sales and no one will be pleased. While developing a business. staff is important to running a successful restaurant, it is also essential that management focus on its public relations as well as its sales and marketing strategies.... [tags: Running Restaurant Managing Essays]
2839 words (8.1 pages)