Many meteorites have been discovered over the years which, in many cases, can give an insight into the creation of the universe. All these meteorites can be grouped together by looking at the various characteristics they have in common, such as the structures of the different meteorites and the isotopic properties of the meteorites. When trying to classify meteorites, they are generally identified as one of the three main groups of meteorites: Iron, Stony and Stony-iron. Each group has its own properties which makes them unique to one another. These groups can be divided further more into smaller groups.
Iron meteorites originated from the core of asteroids and can be divided in to many groups depending on their characteristics: list groups
Group IIAB Iron meteorites have low concentrations of nickel compared to other iron groups. The structures vary from Hexahedrites to coarsest octahedrites. Hexahedrites have the lowest concentration of nickel in their structure. IIAB iron meteorites are thought to be highly reduced materials due to the absence of phosphates, low concentration of nickel and the occurrence of graphite [H]. Group IIIAB Iron meteorites are the largest group of Iron meteorites. Meteorites in this category have medium octahedrite structure (most common iron meteorite structure due to certain amount of Nickel concentration). IIIAB iron meteorites are thought to be oxidized materials due to the high abundance of phosphate [H]. Group IVA Iron meteorites are the third largest group and exhibits octahedrite structures. This group of meteorites has an unusually low ratio of Ir/Au. Apart from this the meteorites are not very volatile [H]. Group IVB iron...
... middle of paper ...
Volume 62, Issue 12, December 2007, Pages 1606–1611
A Collection of Papers Presented at the 4th International Conference on Laser Induced Plasma Spectroscopy and Applications (LIBS 2006)
[B] The Old Woman, California, IIAB iron meteorite
Howard PLOTKIN, Roy S. CLARKE, JR, Timothy J. McCOY, and Catherine M. CORRIGAN
[G] John T. Wasson, Meteorites
[H] Davis, A. M. (Editor). Treatise on Geochemistry, Volume 1: Meteorites, Comets and Planets.
Amsterdam, NLD: Elsevier Science & Technology, 2006. P327-329.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “I drink to make other people more interesting.” ― Ernest Hemingway In the great world of tending bar there is a myriad selection of customers one would encounter; The Social Drinker, The Self Defined Outcast, The Fish Out of Water, and last but never the least, The Freshman. Each level of drinker has its advantages in social circles and also has equal negative repercussions. Most of these classes aren't built from years of drinking, rather are formed through the personality traits they already have developed through their childhood and young adulthood.... [tags: Classification Essay]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Classifications of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than an ice cold beer. How about drinking a cold one with some friends at a local bar after a hard day's work, sounds satisfying doesn't it. Beer has been around for hundreds years and will be around for hundreds more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources.... [tags: Classification Essay]
1332 words (3.8 pages)
- Types of Gas Pumpers There are many types of people who purchase gasoline, but three types are easy to spot. All three have an obvious physical appearance which sets them apart from other gas purchasers. Each also has a distinctive pumping technique and freely vocalizes his opinion. Finally, each type has a particular way of annoying every other patron at the same location. The first type of gas purchaser is Leisure Lou. He can be identified immediately by his appearance. He drives a station wagon with wooden side panels and a bumper sticker that tells the world that he is retired.... [tags: Classification Essays]
979 words (2.8 pages)
- As the owner of three unique pups, I know that dogs’ variances are numerous. Any one who owns a dog knows that it has a mind of its own, and therefore a unique personality. Having had many dogs throughout my life, I have found that dogs fit into three classifications. Annie dogs As princesses of the canine universe, Annie type dogs have a loving yet manipulative personality. An Annie dog assumes the role of queen bee. As leader of the pack, she keeps everybody in line. She dominates all of the other dogs, often by physical herding or malicious growl.... [tags: Classification Essay]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- Plagiarism - Three Types of Cheaters "Fools make researches and wise men exploit them." Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word plagiarize as to pass off as one's own the ideas or words of another. Every student knows that plagiarism is dishonest and wrong. Why do so many students do it. Students themselves may not believe that they are plagiarizing. Many students plagiarize because of the diverse types of plagiarism which are often unknown to students. The three major types of plagiarism are shameless, haphazard and self-plagiarism.... [tags: Classification Essays Cheating ]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- Classification Essay –The Types of Kids that Make Up My Generation One of the things that has troubled me as of late is my generation. The generation that is referred to is the group of people currently aged 15-21 - whether or not this is a "generation," so to speak, is irrelevant. These people, for the most part, disturb me. It frightens me to know that the people that I've grown up with are going to be leading the country and the world in the decades to come. The overwhelming majority of the kids that I've come in contact with over the past few years are apathetic monsters.... [tags: Classification Essays Teen Teenager]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- Classification of Beer What's more refreshing on a hot summer day than a nice cold beer. Or how about drinking a nice cold one with some buddies after work at a local bar, sound nice doesn?t it. Beer has been around for many years and will probably be around for many more. A beer is any variety of alcoholic beverages produced by the fermentation of starchy material derived from grains or other plant sources. The production of beer and some other alcoholic beverages is often called brewing. Most every culture has there own tradition and the own take on beer, thus producing many different styles and variations.... [tags: Classification Essays Beer Alcohol Essays]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- The Three Types of Annoying Shoppers Tires squeal across the hot asphalt; exhaust fumes fill the air. Innocent shoppers leap to safety as cars circle the neighborhood grocery store lot in search of the ideal parking spot. Engines revving. Adrenaline rushing. The driver's sole mission is to obtain a white lined rectangle of pavement before entering the race known as shopping. As a safety precaution, competent and considerate shoppers should be aware of the distinct character traits of the three annoying types of shoppers: Hurry Harry, Suburban Sally, and Picky Pete.... [tags: Classification Essays]
777 words (2.2 pages)
- Classification of Exercise Partners Every woman's magazine I've ever read gives its readers advice on exercising, and one of the most common tips I've seen is to find a partner to exercise with. In my experience, however, having an exercise partner is not a good idea. I have encountered five types of exercise partners, and I have concluded that it is definitely best to exercise alone. The Drill Sergeant My ex-boyfriend represents the Drill Sergeant. He is one of those people whose motto is "No pain, no gain." Of course, he assumes that everyone else follows this decree as well.... [tags: Classification Essays]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- Classification of Movie Goers Many people go to the movies. The movies are an escape into a fantasy world. Everyone has a different preference on what kind of movie is the best. Romance, horror, action, and comedy are different types of movies. The kind of movie someone goes to see can give clues to what kind of person they are. People who prefer horror films obviously like to be grossed out or like to be frightened. The horror fans probably tend to enjoy suspense and anxiety. One might suspect these people love to go on frightening roller coaster rides or do other things that would cause suspense and anxiousness.... [tags: Classification Essay ]
523 words (1.5 pages)