Many people dine at restaurants’ and hotels’ but are unaware of the system utilized within the kitchen. They simply go to enjoy the food, unaware of how it is prepared. Interestingly, the kitchen is run by a Kitchen Brigade system (Brigade de Cuisine) which is a hierarchy system invented by Georges Auguste Escoffier to ease and simply the operations of a kitchen. There are two types of kitchen brigade which are the classic kitchen brigade and the modern kitchen brigade. This report aims to explain each of the system, the individuals involved in it and the responsibilities of each person.
Classic kitchen brigade refers to the way the kitchen in restaurants and hotels are set up, with a hierarchy of positions and responsibilities and duties to go along with each position. The kitchen brigade separates the kitchen into several departments and helps to organize these departments. Every department/station pays an integral role in the kitchen and a well-qualified staff must be presented to ensure efficiency. The individual at the top of the hierarchy is the Chef de cuisine (Executive Chef). This individual ensures that every station and operation in the kitchen is running effectively and efficiently. He is responsible for menu management, ordering, relaying suggestions to the owner of the restaurant or hotel (if he does not own it), supervising the kitchen operations and hiring the right personnel for the kitchen. This is the leader of the kitchen. Next, second in command to the Chef de Cuisine is the Sous-Chef. The Sous Chef’s responsibilities are: report to the Chef de Cuisine; schedule, replace and manage any open stations; assist station chefs if help is needed; relay the orders to the stations; examine plate presentation of ...
... middle of paper ...
...n Brigade dining room also has very detailed positions. Depending on the size of the restaurant, the positions vary. Overall, the duties of the Classic Kitchen Brigade still exist but they have been modified or combined.
The Culinary Institute of America (2014). Guide to the Dining Room Brigade System. [ONLINE] Available at: http://chefsblade.monster.com/benefits/articles/209-guide-to-the-dining-room-brigade-system. [Last Accessed February 12, 2014].
The Culinary Institute of America (2014). Guide to the Kitchen Brigade System. [ONLINE] Available at: http://chefsblade.monster.com/benefits/articles/208-guide-to-the-kitchen-brigade-system. [Last Accessed 10 February 2014].
Dan Bartlett (2014). Kitchen Brigade: Who Does What?. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.artinstitutes.edu/adv/files/kitchen_brigade.pdf. [Last Accessed 10 February 2014].
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the short story “Ines in the Kitchen,” Cristina Garcia narrates the life of Ines who seems to be in conflict with herself. As the protagonist, Ines is confused about her emotions and the decisions that have to be made. Therefore, she struggles with her life, her relationship with her husband, and her memories of the past which haunt her. Only Ines can really understand what she goes through every day that passes by.(give examples) However, on the other hand, her husband, Richard, is a man who likes to have specific guidelines for his woman and cares about his appearance.... [tags: Ines in the Kitchen Essays]
576 words (1.6 pages)
- Amy Tan's The Kitchen God's Wife Amy Tan's The Kitchen God's Wife is the story of a relationship between a mother and daughter that is much more than it seems. This touchingly beautiful narrative not only tells a story, but deals with many of the issues that we have discussed in Women Writers this semester. Tan addresses the issues of the inequality given women in other cultures, different cultures' expectations of women, abortion, friendship, generation gaps between mothers and daughters, mother-daughter relationships, and the strength of women in the face of adversity.... [tags: Kitchen]
1223 words (3.5 pages)
- We are often unaware of the cost of war on humans. We might calculate the numerical cost of weapons and equipments, but disregard the cost of cognitive, physical, and psychological on soldiers, civilians, and the entire world. To countries in conflict, war is more than the numerical cost in dollars. War brings the most awful in mankind, additionally demonstrates our boldness, our faith, and our ability to sacrifice. It also takes so much time to recover from its effect. Arts, including poetry succeed to show the horrific meaning of the war.... [tags: Poetry, Charge of the Light Brigade, Crimean War]
1241 words (3.5 pages)
- Lexie Phongthai-Yochum English 175 Dracula Vs Twilight In Twilight, Edward Cullen presents the question; “ But what if I’m not the hero. What if I’m the bad guy?” The role of vampires is very controversial. Back in the day they were evil, soulless monsters and people genuinely feared them. However, in the present day it seems that we have grown to love them and even hope to one day be them. There are a plethora of vampire stories and many of them have become immense hits. With so many vampire stories, it is not uncommon that readers are able to identify a vast amount of similarities.... [tags: Stephenie Meyer, Twilight, Bella Swan, Vampire]
1055 words (3 pages)
- The 56th Armored Brigade Combat Team is undergoing a period of leadership transition during post deployment operations. All indications from my initial assessment show the critical leadership problem is within the culture of the organization. The organization has developed a poor command climate that has digressed from an organizational culture based on esprit de corps, which facilitated motivated and competent leaders that were part of a mission ready and cohesive team. 56th ABCT is in its RESET phase after its most recent combat deployment to Afghanistan.... [tags: brigade, proficiency, analysis]
1479 words (4.2 pages)
- Classics Cabinets Pty Ltd is a company that designs and manufactures custom-built kitchen cabinetry, was founded in Springvale, Melbourne in 2001, and the two owners are siblings Chinh and Anh Chu. Chinh is a high skilled cabinetmaker, and now his role in the company is as the production and operations manager. Anh, on the other side, is an interior designer with qualification, and because she had found an interest in the financial and overall management of the enterprise, she is the de factor general manager.... [tags: Kitchen Cabinets, Designs]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- In this essay I am going to compare and contrast the differences between ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ and ‘The Destruction of Sennacherib’. ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ is written by Poet Lauriat Lord Tennyson and ‘The Destruction of Sennacherib’ is written by Lord Byron. They both contain different poetic techniques and write about a battle in completely different ways. The historical context behind ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ is that it is a battle in October 1854, which was a disastrous charge of British cavalry led by Lord Cardigan against Russian forces during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War, Tennyson wrote the poem pointing out the courageous and the tragic.... [tags: battle, Charge of the Light Brigade, Destruction ]
1423 words (4.1 pages)
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller was set in one of the most chaotic times in American history but not the last. In the 1950’s a similar haze of disarray fell on the people of America, in a period referred to as The Great American Red Scare. Like in The Crucible many were pressed and pressured to give names of the involved, whether it be witchcraft or “communist dealings”. Even highly respected of both societies were tried for a mere mentioning of there name. Then those who wouldn’t admit to the crime of which they were accused they were thrown in jail.... [tags: essays research papers]
586 words (1.7 pages)
- Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto The path of life is not easy. It is scattered with struggles and hurdles which we must overcome. A rose plant is a good metaphor of life; the flower is soft with a pleasant fragrance but the thorns are prickly and hurt us. Likewise, life has good things like laughter, happiness, hope but it also has some things that hurt us, obstruct us. In Banana Yoshimoto’s novella Kitchen, Mikage Sakurai faces quandaries in her life which hinder her. However, she fights them back with hope and determination.... [tags: English Literature Kitchen Essays]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- War in the poem The Charge of the Light Brigade “The Charge of the Light Brigade” is about battle and the death of soldiers, and the experience of war. Tennyson´s poem celebrates the glory of war, despite the fact that, because of an error of judgment someone had blundered, six hundred soldiers were sent to their death. The first verse starts in the middle of the action as Cardigan the commander, gives the order to charge. “Forward the light brigade charge for the gun.” This gives a sense of the excitement of the galloping horses in the cavalry charge, and sweeps the reader along, Tennysons then uses noble sounding euphemisms like “into the valley of death” to describe the fate that awaits... [tags: The Charge of the Light Brigade Poetry Essays]
644 words (1.8 pages)