My service-learning journey begins with an orientation at the Compass Housing Alliance main office. The volunteer specialist gave a quick introduction of the organization. She also provided other helpful information and answered my questions, such as how to get to the site, and the rules to follow while working. Compass Housing Alliance is a non-profit organization that provides housing, shelter, and other services to people who experience homelessness in the Seattle and Puget Sound area. The site I work at, which is Hammond House, is one of the twenty-three locations Compass Housing Alliance has that provides shelter and meals for women who are homeless or in poverty. At Hammond House, women also have access to case management and support services.
October 20th was my first day on site. I took bus 71 and arrived at Downtown. The location was easy to find: seeing paintings on the inside wall, the welcoming atmosphere made me realize perhaps this is the place. ...
... middle of paper ...
... clients to sit down as she spotted my tiredness did I move to the dinning area. The same lady also helped me with cleaning up. One of the most precious gifts I have received so far from volunteering at the site is the warmth I receive. The greetings from the women almost caught me by surprise. It feels heartwarming when my action is reciprocated even though I am only doing a small thing. While I did not expect feedback and conversations, a few ladies started talking to me naturally, and I enjoyed the conversations we had, even when most of the time I simply listened. Even as they experience such difficult situations, the optimism inspires me. This doesn’t mean that I think homeless and poverty are light-hearted issues. When I left the premise, my heart was filled with joy. As I finish the first week of service learning, I look forward the days that are yet to come.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 7 is an online vendor service that assist with customer relationship management (CRM). It offers tools that optimize customer acquisition and engagement. The three main tools are: self-service, assisted service and omnichannel journeys. The ever-present in all places channels allow customers to interact with businesses across many channels without interruption using different devices; thus creating a smooth customer journey. Customers can access the omnichannel through the websites, mobile devices and virtual agent and chat.... [tags: Customer service]
716 words (2 pages)
- Ignatian Values: Public Broadcasting Service Introduction Headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) is a non-profit American broadcast television network, and is one of the most prominent providers of television programs to public television stations in the United States. Today, PBS is well known for distributing popular and successful programming such as Sesame Street, PBS NewsHour, Masterpiece Theater, Frontline, and Antique Roadshow. With 356 member stations, PBS offers all audiences, from all walks of life, the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online access.... [tags: PBS, non-profit American television network]
1469 words (4.2 pages)
- The Peru Study Abroad Program: Service, Solidarity, Sustainability, was a cultural event that took place on October 10, 2016 from 7:30-8:30pm. Those who spoke at the event were students who had taken the service trip to Peru on their spring break this past year. There were five students who qualified for the expedition including Alexis, Alex, Colleen, Donald, and Megan. They all spoke English, but know Spanish as a second language. An interpreter was not needed. The cultural event took place in Hailstones room 2 and it was presented by a group of students of various majors including nursing and political science.... [tags: Peru, Inca Empire, Cusco, Peruvian cuisine]
1287 words (3.7 pages)
- Working to improve the lives of others is often noted as one of the most remarkable ways to improve one’s own life. It is important to understand that service learning is a not a new method of education, although it has grown and developed quite a bit over the years. The benefits of service learning are countless. It is an undeniably constructive effort for people of all ages to participate in. Exposing these types of activities on youth is particularly helpful to those individuals in myriad ways.... [tags: lawrenceville, service learning, education]
1764 words (5 pages)
- The functional area of service-learning is currently emerging as an acknowledged department at an institution of higher education. The theoretical roots of service learning go back to John Dewey, and the early twentieth century. However, current research on service-learning pedagogy dates back only to the early 1990’s. Best practices for the field are still being created as more and more new offices are springing up on campuses throughout the United States and institutions internationally. The reason this functional area is becoming ever popular is due to the positive impact it has on students and most all educational outcomes.... [tags: academic service-learning, co-curricular]
1648 words (4.7 pages)
- I volunteered at the Activity Center for my Service Learning project. My duties were to watch the kids who participated in the after school program, play with them and help them with their home homework. I really enjoyed interacting with the African-American people and culture. I learned many things from the African-American population I worked with. I learned how the Activity Center staff teaches the after school kids good manners and behavior. I mentioned in one of my service learning journals that the staff was very strict and treated the kids like prisoners, but I came to the realization that maybe that is how they teach the kids discipline.... [tags: Service Learning Project]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- Introduction A service learning experience is designed to enhance a student 's growth in personal and social development and to obtain an understanding of community involvement. For my service learning experience, I volunteered at Change Point Center. In this reflection paper, I will discuss in depth information about the services that Change Point provides, my goals while I was there,and what I ultimately learned from this experience. Information about this experience Change Point center is located in Hot Springs, Arkansas and is a non-profit organization.... [tags: Learning, Sociology, Skill, Knowledge]
1066 words (3 pages)
- PART 1 Progressive Job Search Assignment LaCure. The World Wise villa company. WELCOME TO LACURE LACURE HEADQUARTERS 122 Scollard Street, Suite 304 Yorkville, Toronto, Ontario, M5R 1G2 Canada LaCure was launched in Jamaica, in 1979. LaCure offers exclusive luxury villa accommodations, with amenities and services geared to the needs of its special guests. Travel arrangements, full staffs, private chefs, lovely beachfront and panoramic hillside locations, restaurant bookings, arrangements for special activities, on-the-ground help—every detail of a trip is carefully arranged to create an experience that will be unique and unforgettable.... [tags: Customer service, Customer, High school, Business]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- When a woman approached Benjamin Franklin following the concluding session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in the fall of 1787 and asked what sort of government the delegates had come up with, Franklin famously replied: "A republic, madam, if you can keep it." The relevance of that notable statement transcended centuries and applied itself not only to national politics. The People’s participation in maintaining an agreeable government depends on a collective activism regarding both state and local civic affairs.... [tags: Service Learning Teaching Education]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- To be successful in business will require much more than just dedication and creativity, you’ll also need the right product and service in order to meet the demand customers are looking for in the completive market. Your organization needs to be able to adapt and willing to change to achieve the needs and wants of market. This will only happen if you and the people around you are good leaders. In the book “Leadership Transformed” it offers some of the basic fundamental strategy and framework using metaphors to describe steps of leadership transformation and the path to become exordanary leader in the 21 first century.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill, Learning]
710 words (2 pages)