We would be using participants from the city of Hampton Methadone clinic. Most likely a smaller sample size will be collected between 20 -30 people. All the participants will be residents of the city of Hampton or Hampton roads area. The participants are going to either be drug addicts or recovering drug addicts.
In order to assess if family and community activities will treat drug addiction. We would use and experimental design. Using quantitative method would be the best method in this study because we will be measuring reward stimulation in the brain .We would have two groups that will be used in this experiment. The independent variable would be family therapy and community activities and the dependent variable is the reward system response. The second group independent variable would be methadone and the dependent variable would be the reward stimulation response.
Materials and measure
In order to assess levels of stimulation in the brain we would have to use an fMRI. Each participant will receive this scan after treatment. This will allow us to take a neuro...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Methadone Clinics Council is considering how to include methadone clinics and dispensaries into zoning bylaw. Under consideration, are 4 provisions which may be applied individually or in combination: A. Establishing an interim control provision to prohibit the establishment of new methadone clinics for an interim period of up to one year to permit the completion of a planning study on the potential regulation of these uses; B. Imposing a mandatory separation distance where 31 patients or more cannot be located within 300 metres of schools; C. Imposing a requirement for the facilities to keep a daily patient count and pay a $100 yearly fee to city hall; D. Requiring facilities use security c... [tags: Human rights]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- The Kansas City CARE Clinic was founded in 1971 to provide basic health care services to people who cannot afford care or medical insurance. At one of the early meetings of the founders, principles were created as the foundation of the clinic. "We believe that health care is a human right, not a privilege based on income or anything else; that health care means caring about people, not just treating their diseases; that an emphasis on health education, preventive medicine, demystification and de-professionalism of medicine must underlie all interactions between staff and patients; that no hierarchical structures can exist among clinic staff or between staff and patients.... [tags: Health care, Health care provider, Medicine]
751 words (2.1 pages)
- is the policy of giving methadone to drug addicts a good one . Is the policy of giving methadone to drug addicts a good one. Methadone Maintenance Treatment is a very controversial topic that arises many different opinions about the program. Some people believe that Methadone maintenance treatment is a good thing and that it does truly help addicts get over their addictions, while others are against the use of Methadone as treatment because they believe that it is not very successful and a waste of money.... [tags: Drug addiction, Heroin, Morphine, Addiction]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- The paper details a study conducted to assess two treatment methods for heroin addicts. The first one is the methadone maintenance treatment, and the second is methadone supplemented with heroin. Although, the latter is known for its better effects on patients, both mentally and physically, it requires more health care resources and therefore might not be efficient on a societal level. Benefits of a co-prescribed heroin treatment could be in the form of longer term cost efficiencies, manifested by the decrease of both the need for healthcare services, and crime rates.... [tags: heroind addicts, methadone treatment, drugs]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- At its most fundamental core, quality improvement of healthcare services and resources requires disciplined attention to the measurement, monitoring, and reporting of system performance (Drake, Harris, Watson, & Pohlner, 2011; Jones, 2010; Kennedy, Caselli, & Berry, 2011). Research points to performance measurement as a significant factor in enabling strategic planning processes and achievement of performance goals (Tapinos, Dyson & Meadows, 2005). Thus, without a system of measurement that accounts for the performance behaviors of healthcare professionals, managers and administrative employees, quality improvement remains a visionary abstraction (de Waal, 2004).... [tags: Mayo Clinic Case Study]
2102 words (6 pages)
- Introduction Throughout history men and women have been consuming psychotrophic substances for various purposes, including for relaxation, to achieve a state of euphoria, or to alter consciousness in order to find spiritual enlightenment. References to the opium poppy, which has been a major source of these psychotrophic substances, have been discovered in writings as far back as that of the Sumerians in 3300BC (Fernandez 1998:3). Opium has been used in various forms over the centuries for medicinal in addition to recreational purposes.... [tags: Drugs ]
1793 words (5.1 pages)
- In our busy lives we often forget to stop and listen to the wonderful sounds our ancestors heard everyday. Our lives are now filled with the constant hum of a car going by or the constant drum of airplanes overhead among other noises. In the video package “Sounds of Silence” Gordon Hampton encourages people to experience nature and all of its magnificent sounds. Hampton shows though, that even where he wishes his square inch of silence is, he can’t escape the sounds of an industrialized nation. The package begins with quick detailed shots showing scenes of a city.... [tags: video package]
791 words (2.3 pages)
- When methadone is administered correctly, the dosage is slowly reduced over time. In addition, staffers refer patients for rehabilitation treatment in hopes of overcoming their addiction. Unfortunately, many of these clinics don’t have the proper incentives because the majority of American methadone clinics are run by for-profit companies. In fact, these companies have become top targets of investment firms because of their high profits. For example, Bain Capital, the venture capital firm founded by Mitt Romney, purchased the largest company in the methadone industry, CRC Health Group, for $723 million in 2006.... [tags: Drug addiction, Heroin, Addiction, Cannabis]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- The Hampton Roads region has had a stable economy for the past couple of decades. Back in 2007 the city of Norfolk had foreseen a need address the transportation issues, a case study was launched in 2007 at address the visibility of Light Rail in Hampton Roads. With a large military presence, defense spending dominates economic industry in the region. More than 45% of the region’s economic value comes from defense spending. Between 2008 and 2010 the Hampton road population was approximately 1.67 million with a gross regional product of $81 billion annually.... [tags: economic industries, stable economy]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Currently in Ontario there are approximately 30,000 people, between the ages of 15 and 49, using illicit opioids on a regular basis. (Hart 2007) Opioid use is a costly and dangerous social problem and is the fastest growing drug problem in the country. The good news is that there is a treatment that has been proven by research and evidence to be effective. Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT) is a long term treatment program used to treat opioid dependence and addiction.(Source) MMT works by preventing withdrawal symptoms in opiate users.... [tags: mmt,healthcare,ontario,opioid]
959 words (2.7 pages)